• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Vertical limit of dynamic scrolling credit box in Premiere Pro 14.1.0

Explorer ,
May 17, 2020 May 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have uncovered what I think is an issue with the new scrolling credits.  The first thing I do is create the credits in notepad.  Everything at this point is either single or double spaced.  Now in premiere I set my workspace to the essential graphics panel.  I select the text tool and click in the program monitor to open the dynamic text box for the credits.  I then cut and paste the credits from the notepad document into the dynamic text box.  OK so far.  I can center the text vertically and horizontally, select roll (for rolling credits).

I can edit the fonts and font sizes, edit the text and everything is still fine until I try to properly space the text ot the titles out.  When I am finished doing this if the vertical dimension exceeds a certain amount I can not go back and edit items at the top of the list.  When I try to scroll up the window it gets to a certain point and "jumps" to the end.  The only way I can edit anything at the beginning it to start all over again. 

This is not a computer issue and it happens on two desktops and one laptop.  I am using Windows 10 Pro 1909 64 bit latest release.  I happens with a nVidia GeForce 1080 GTX graphics and a nVidia GeForce 2080 RTX Ti graphics card.  One of the computers has 64Gb RAM and two have 32Gb RAM.

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried adding the text without making a text box first.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No because that would seem to defeat to whole reason to use it the feature.  The dynamic graphics box is supposed to automatically expand and contract depending upon the text in the box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's no reason to use a text box for this, and I normally don't.

I just select the new tex icon in the EGP browse panel. Set the font and other items.

Then start typing. Hitting enter to add another line, additional enters to add spacing, and I've never had a limit to what I could add.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It may not be called a text box.  Whatever it is called it will change the bondaries (vertical and horizonal) depending upon what you type in or in my case copy and paste in.  How many lines do you have including any blank lines?  How to you get your credits to scroll?  Are you using the "Roll" check box? 

I seem to have a short term solution.  If I go in and deleted blank lines from the bottom up until the top of the credits are again within the framework of the border then I can edit it but when I am finished I have to put the blank lines back in from the top down.  I am betting however that I can again hit the "limit" with enough lines.  Currently I would estimate I have 900 - 950 lines including blanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I've had more lines than that that I've tested. I copied/pasted page after page together in Wordpad, then copied that all into a new text line created as above. I don't even recall how many pages of lines, but it was quite a few.

And yea, it was using a Roll option. Which you access in to me a weird way for those who don't see the option. You need to have no item in the graphic selected ... so say click in the EGP layers stack for graphics items, but below the lowest item, so it de-selects everything.

Then the whole area below that changes, and the Roll option is visible.

For use ... use the options to start off-screen and probably end off-screen, and set how long a pre-roll time you want before the credits appear, and also how long a post-roll. You set the "speed" they go by via changing the length of the graphics on the timeline. Longer graphics clip, slower roll feed.

Something that startles people ... if you're at the beginning of the clip, when you select the off-screen start, it disappears! Well, yea, it's supposed to start off-screen right? So to edit something you scroll through the clip to get to it.

General spacing between lines is the Leading control icon, the two A's stacked over each other down in the text control section. You can select one blank line by double-clicking in it and change the font size to narrow or enlarge the gap between the above and below text. Getting that spot selected can be a bit tricky.

And most people I know or have heard talking about this create the text elsewhere, and copy/paste it into the roll in Premiere. You'll still need to futz with fonts/scaling and such, but the text is easier done in a text editor.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 18, 2020 May 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That has been my experience as well.  The difference is when I have to go back in and edit something at the beginning of the credit roll.  You should be able to. if I understand correctly, is that your use the slider on the right to scroll the credits up or down to get to what you need to edit.  Then select the text tool and edit the credits as needed.  That is where I am having issues.

I would like the credits to begin off-screen but end at the middle of the screen and fade out.  I have not been able to figure that out yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To edit a text crawl, scroll through the clip on the sequence until the part you need to edit is visible.

As far as leaving a section on the screen ... you need to create a different line of text for that, and time the animation so that it simply follows the last line of the crawl but then stops in the middle of the frame, and of course, then you set the fade for that text item.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Therein lies the problem.  If use the "head" to scroll through the clip (instead of the vertical scroll bar to the right) and if the part that I need to edit is closer to the beginning of the credits then it jumps to the end of the credits even though the "head" is at the beginning of the credits.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Huh ... I can't replicate that. When I scroll the timeline to the spot I want to edit, hit the T for text tool, click in the text, it just stays there.

That's definitely weird behavior. I've not heard of anyone with this behavior before. I'm wondering if you created a new project file, deleted the cache/cache database files for this one, then imported the assets of the current project into the new one ... if that would work?

Or you could test by creating a new project with one clip, copy the entire text of this roll into a new graphic on the timeline of the new project, and see if it's got the same problem.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 19, 2020 May 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I could try that but I suspect the results will be the same.  It has happened on every project (4) that I have used the EGP.  I will try it anyway just to make sure.  What makes it weirder is that it happens on 2 different desktops, 1 laptop, two different graphces cards and has been happening since last fall (whatever the latest version of Premiere Pro was at that time).  The only commonality is that they are all running the latest versions of Premiere Pro and Windows 10 64 bit.

As far as spacing between credits I just press enter to put in a blank line or lines as needed.  Some areas of the credits only have a couple of lines between them, others I want only one credit on the screen at a time and as that credit scrolls off the top of the screen the next credit appears at the bottom. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you've been getting this across projects/computers, then trying a new project is pretty moot, right?

Wow. I'm trying to figure out what could be the problem here, and just not seeing it.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I've got an answer for you.

And it's really pretty simple.

Add the first part of your scroll text with it set to scroll to end off-screen, go to the end where the last line is well up onto the screen. Then click below it to add another text line to the graphic, and add your next section.

It's all still one long graphic, but should avoid the issues you're having.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 06, 2023 Nov 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having the same issue with a VERY LONG list of credits...it's impossible to edit once ALL the text is in...I've had make changes in the the original text document and re-start the process in Premiere.

I'm glad I found someone who could articulate this problem because I couldn't have explained it better.

As of today, 11-06-2023, there's still NO solution to this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2024 Feb 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just discovered this thread, and it bears on a project I'm about to start in which I need a continuous text roll to match 29 minutes of spoken audio.  Will that be possible with this feature?  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 24, 2024 Feb 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 24, 2024 Feb 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Especially since some users run into problems with long rolls, I'd consider doing this with the new speech-to-text option for captioning. Transcribe the audio, create captions, set their style so they are centered in the frame, select the captions and use the menu Graphics and Titles and "Upgrade caption to graphic." Then create a preset so each graphic/caption starts off screen top or bottom and scrolls to the other side. Apply the preset to all the captions.

Set the caption style position before upgrading to graphics so you don't have to deal with anchor point issues.

When you create captions, make them single line and set the number of characters based on the effect you are going for.

If you try this, let us know and I'll test.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 25, 2024 Feb 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I played with this a bit and it sorta works.

But I suspect it is a no-go for your purpose.

a) Only one captions can be on screen at a time.

b) Duration of each caption varies and this creates a variation in roll speed.

Another approach would be to export the captions as csv, and use formula or macro in Excel to create the text list.

I always preferred creating the list as an Illustrator file because I wanted 2 formatted columns. And this was back in the day when you had to calculate the pixels per second speed to keep from getting glitches.

Here, with this issue of long lists, I think I would just break this into multiple rolls.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines