Sep 06, 2024 Sep 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Version: Premiere 24.5

Computer Specs: Mac Studio, M1 ultra, 64gb memory, OS Ventura 13.4

Media Files: 2 thunderblade SSD's

Media Cache: Raid 5

Hi, 

I am having laggy playback issues whenver I leave premiere and go back in. For example if I just open the web browser and come back, and press play nothing happens for like 8 seconds. Then it is pretty normal until I eventually leave the program. 

Another issue is that periodically ill be playing in a timeline and it will only play for 2 seconds and stop. Eventually it stops, but theres no ryhyme or reason why it starts to play without stopping. 

I have seen similar threads but nothing really fixed this problem. I feel like it has something to do with the M1 chip in my studio. 

Any help is much appreciated, thanks!

TOPICS
Error or problem , Freeze or hang , Hardware or GPU , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 09, 2024 Sep 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

try to reset the preferences as a first step

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Carlos, I just did that and still seem to be getting the same issues above. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you have gone to the Preferences > Audio Hardware and changed Default Input to None to test if that fixes the issue?

I have seen similar threads but nothing really fixed this problem. 

By @jcrouch1331

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think this does help the 2 second playback issue. But it doesn not help when I leave premiere and come back in and have a delayed playback.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 10, 2024 Sep 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ok, that sounds good. 🙂

Have you for testing purposes tried to create a brand new project and import some media to test if it behaves the same way?

And, how much free space do you have on your storage, iow the 2 thunderblade SSD's and the Raid 5? If you have  10% or less free space that can be the problem. 

I think this does help the 2 second playback issue. But it doesn not help when I leave premiere and come back in and have a delayed playback.

By @jcrouch1331

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FWIW: The shipping version is at 24.6.1 currently, you could try the upgrade also.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im scared to upgrade as in im in the middle of a large project. But this could be last resort try. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good point. You can only have 1 install of the shipping version, so not 24.5 and 24.6.1. So, do proceed with caution. That audio hardware preferences tweak from @Averdahl is a good call. An option when things are strange.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines