• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

With ExtendScript, how to set the "Input File" or "Look" in Lumetri with a external blob?

Explorer ,
Mar 23, 2022 Mar 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am able to set the Look by providing a index number which reprensents the menu option from the dropdown

app.project.activeSequence.videoTracks[0].clips[0].components[2].properties[32].setValue(5, true);

Is there a way to load a LUT as blob programatically and set it for the Look? Maybe somehow initiate the "Browse" option and programatically inject the the blob's path?

Checking this document about the Lumetri properties, on index 0 there is the Blob property, but I don't know what it is for? Reading the value from that property gives me some weird output like:

䰼浵瑥楲ਾ†朼極㹤攢㌸捣㙢ⴰ慡ㄱㄭ攱ⵣ㘹ㄳ㌭昸搹戳ㄶ㥣≥⼼畧摩ਾ†瘼牥楳湯∾∳⼼敶獲潩㹮 㰠慮敭∾㰢港浡㹥 㰠敫晹慲敭ਾ††琼浩㹥〢㰢琯浩㹥 †㰠睴敥㹮〢㰢琯敷湥ਾ††攼獡楥㹮ㄢ㰢支獡楥㹮 †㰠慥敳畯㹴ㄢ㰢支獡潥瑵ਾ††猼汥捥整汤祡牥∾∰⼼敳敬瑣摥慬敹㹲 †㰠桳摡牥ਾ†††渼浡㹥弢䝟潲灵敂楧≮⼼慮敭ਾ†††挼獵潴湭浡㹥弢䝟潲灵敂楧≮⼼畣瑳浯慮敭ਾ†††瘼獩扩敬∾∱⼼楶楳汢㹥 ††㰠潬正摥楶楳汢㹥〢㰢氯捯敫癤獩扩敬ਾ†††漼慰楣祴∾∱⼼灯捡瑩㹹 ††㰠慭歳∾∰⼼慭歳ਾ†††瘼捥潴浲獡㹫〢㰢瘯捥潴浲獡㹫 ††㰠....

I can't find any solution on the web and there is no much help in the documentation of the API.

TOPICS
Effects and Titles , How to , Import , SDK

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Mar 23, 2022 Mar 23, 2022

>Is there any way a "remote" LUT file can be applied programmatically in the Lumetri panel?

No, there is no API that allows for that.

Justin wrote: 

>I still couldn't get it to work, which leads me to believe that there are some other processes happening behind the scenes that the scripting API don't have access to.

Correct!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Bruce Bullis I would very much like to know as well if this is possible. Is there any way a "remote" LUT file can be applied programmatically in the Lumetri panel? I hope you don't mind me mentioning you, it's just that I was searching for something similar, couldn't find anything and saw that you helped others users with somewhat similar questions.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my testing, saving and setting LUT blob data is very complicated, and requires a fair amount of reverse engineering. There were 2 or 3 blob properties that need to be set, and each had it's own method of encryption. Even after seemingly setting these values correctly, I still couldn't get it to work, which leads me to believe that there are some other processes happening behind the scenes that the scripting API don't have access to.

However, I came across a much more simple way to get and apply LUTs with the path to a LUT file.

You can set the Input LUT by getting the Lumetri video component property, set the 4th prop to the path string, and the 6th prop to 1.

var pathToLut = 'path/to/lut.cube';
var lumetri = projectItem.videoComponents()[0];
var lutPath = lumetri.properties[4];
var input = lumetri.properties[6];
lutPath.setValue(pathToLut);
input.setValue(1);

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks. Will test that out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Justin for the help.

I get a null value for this:

var lumetri = app.project.rootItem.children[1].videoComponents()[0];

Children[1] is the sequence. 

Is that the proper way of fetching videoComponents?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

children[1] is just an example, adjust to however you neeed to select your ProjectItem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Justin T - Hyper Brew this works! Thanks a lot! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome, sure thing!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 26, 2022 May 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hey @Justin T - Hyper Brew , I was able to get this working on the mac, but the problem is on Windows. When I set the path on Windows, the LUT gets not applied. First I thought that I provide the wrong path to the LUT file, but then I compared the path to the path it gives when selecting browse from the dropdown menu, and they are both the same. So path is not the issue. I also don't think it's a folder permission issue, cause before applying the LUT we write the LUT in the folder successfully. 

Have you been able to test this on windows?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 26, 2022 May 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got it to work on Windows and Mac with .cube LUT files. Can you post an example path? I believe I used paths with / posix (forward slashes).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 27, 2022 May 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The path is like:

C:/Users/<username>/Documents/PPRO/LUTs/78972/red.1653435528150.cube

<username> is my local username.

I even tried renaming the file to just red.cube.
I also tried insted of \, to use / and \\.
Maybe you have any suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 29, 2022 May 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Found the solution.

On windows, the path to the LUT should be:

C:/Users/<username>/Documents/PPRO/LUTs/78972/red.1653435528150.cube/

or

C:\Users\<username>\Documents\PPRO\LUTs\78972\red.1653435528150.cube\

A slash is added to the end of the path. We can use \ or / for path, both work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 30, 2022 May 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Strange, maybe the "." in the filename was throwing it off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 31, 2022 May 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even if the filename was red.cube, I had to place the / (or \) at the end.
But now, after two days, if I check the path again, it works without the ending \ or / on windows. 

I am testing on my mac on virtual machine (parallels) with Win10 and Win11.

We also tested on another machine virtually and LUT is applied fine.
But on one PC we have Win10 and the LUT is not applied with any of the paths above.
If you check the screenshot, you can see on the bottom left (circled in red), that the effect is applied and visible on the sequence thumbnail, but on the right in Lumetri effect preview (or in player) the effect is not visible.

screenshot-active-effect.png

This is the code where we set the path to the effect

for (var i = 0; i < effect.properties.numItems; i++) {
            if (effect.properties[i].displayName == "Look") {
                effect.properties[i].setValue(1, 1); // Look (33)
                effect.properties[i - 3].setValue(1, 1); // active (30)
                effect.properties[i - 2].setValue(LUTPath, 1); // Path (31)
            }
        }

No errors. I also am able to read the content of the LUT file from the provided path. 
@Justin T - Hyper Brew do you have any suggestion or idea what I could try else?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 31, 2022 May 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And to add to my last reply:
If I turn off the Lumetri effect, the effect on sequnce thumbnail on bottom left gets also updated. So the effect is applied, but it is not visible in main player for some reason...
screenshot-inactive.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 01, 2022 Jun 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Bruce Bullis This is very interesting. Do you have any idea why a LUT wouldn't apply on Windows but it does on Mac? @Justin T - Hyper Brew For you the method which you detailed above works both on Mac and Windows in the latest version of PP?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> Do you have any idea...

Not really. As previously mentioned, it's not recommended. Based on the discussion, I have to wonder whether escaping the backslash characters in the path might help: "C:\\some\\directory\\name"...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think this was a anomally and that the Adobe software or Windows OS played games with us.

I was writing that I have added an ending \ at the end of the path and that it was working in VM on mac, but still not on real PC. Now I reverted that code to how it was in the beginning. And guess what - now it works on PC aswell. 

So no \ or / at the end of the path, and it just works...

I had few wtf programming moments in my career, and this is one of them now 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 02, 2022 Jun 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Final conclusion:
On Windows PC, don't add \ to the end of the path
On mac running parallels for Windows virtual machine, you do need to add the \ to the end of path

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 10, 2023 Oct 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Justin T - Hyper Brew can you help with this?

Seems like this code you wrote for applying a custom LUT stopped working in v23 of PPRO (testing with 23.6), but it works with v22 (22.5).

Any clues what might have changed in the API? From what I can see, they have added a new property on index 7 with displayName "Input LUT", which is the same on index 6. I tried playing with the properties, but had no luch getting it to work again.

Here is a screenshot of the effect.properties array:

SultanDino_0-1696940835570.png

Here is the sample code with which I apply the custom LUT:

for (var i = 0; i < effect.properties.numItems; i++) {
  if (effect.properties[i].displayName == "Basic Correction") {
      lookProperty = effect.properties[i]; // i = 2
      effect.properties[i + 1].setValue(1, true); // Enable effect, i = 3
      effect.properties[i + 2].setValue(LUTPath, true); // Set LUT Path, i = 4
      effect.properties[i + 4].setValue(1, true); // Update LUT selection dropdown, i = 6
  }
}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 11, 2023 Oct 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Bruce Bullis do you have perhaps some direction?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 11, 2023 Oct 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not; Justin's guidance is the best available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 12, 2023 Oct 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll hijack @SultanDino post once again but I'm having the same issue 🙂
@Justin T - Hyper Brew with the code you provided here what happens in the most recent versions of Premiere is that the LUT is fetched and stored locally on the drive, but is not applied to the clip. Under the drop down in the Creative tab it appears as if it's applied (it's listed there) but the effect doesn't show on the clip. If I click manually on the Browse button to browse for the LUT, I'm straight away in the correct folder where the LUT is stored locally and I can select it and then it's applied correctly but this is obvisouly just a workaround. Any clues?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 18, 2023 Oct 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a overview of PPRO versions installed on latest MacOS version where the code above was working / does not work

Working

Working

Working

Working

Working

Not working

Not working

Not working

Not working

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 18, 2023 Oct 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@bbb_999 so something changed in version 23.4 of PPRO which broke this functionality to programmatically apply a creative look / basic look. In the release notes for 23.4, I can't find anything that could give me any clues.

Next I will try to test the code on Windows. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines