Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Workflow with Essential Graphics templates and sharing with customers

Contributor ,
Apr 24, 2017 Apr 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Before this upgrade, I used to create a Premiere Pro project file with a set of sequences where I included .aecap files to show what my clients could do with the templates. The .aecap files resided inside a folder in the project panel and clients duplicated these to make own work.

The .aecap files was placed in a gfx folder and zipped into a package which my clients could unzip and then relink the aecap files to use.

Whenever I made new versions of the aecap files, I sent them a new zip file which included an updated Premiere-project with new files. These zip files was versioned, so that they would know which version to use.

With the introduction of Essential Graphics and .mogrt files, I think I need to re-think my workflow.

The reason is that the .mogrt files need to be installed. Ok, so I'll install all of the .mogrt files, and place them into folders in the Essential Graphics browse panel.

If I zip this project and send it, the installed files will perhaps follow along in the local Essential Graphics library?

- Nope.

(Implement this, and my problem would be solved.)

How about installing all of the .mogrt files at once? Nope. So I'll have to say to my clients they have to install the templates one by one each time I send them an upgrade? At least 21 files every time. Not going to happen.

Ok. So I'll place all of the .mogrt files on a timeline like I did before. What happens?

Premiere creates a folder called "Motion Graphics Template Media"

Screenshot 2017-04-24 16.17.03.png

My clients would then not be able to use the Browse panel in Essential Graphics. But is this going to work?

I save my project together with a folder Premiere has created in my project folder, also called "Motion Graphics Template Media" to a new location, and disconnect my computer from the network I created my "master" project on.

Opening up the duplicate on a different computer - in the previous version using aecap files - this would have Premiere prompt for relocating files. I had them organized in a folder I had created myself (with different folders for different resolutions) - not a temp folder Premiere now has created for me.

What happens now is that premiere is offlining all of the files inside Motion Graphics Template Media.

I right-click on the folder and chose relink. Premiere now asks me to relink files within folders with a temp name.

Screenshot 2017-04-24 16.34.19.png

Once I found one of the files (now called .aegraphic ) by looking at the temp folder names, Premiere finds the other files.

Now. This worked. But this not only seems like a bad workflow. It also seems unprofessional to start the application with a project showing nothing but "Media offline" and have to ask clients to relink to folders with temp names.

The one thing I haven't mentioned here is Creative Cloud Libraries - but I just wanted to share with you my old workflow - and frankly, I am not sure all of my clients would have access to CC Libraries because of strict firewalls. We have also have had problems with sync issues when testing Creative Cloud folders in the past. But I will test this as well and post back.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 24, 2017 Apr 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is troubling. thank you for the careful inspection of this issue. the lack of a source file that could relate to a clip in the project panel is making this workflow difficult for changes.

here are the problems the way I see it:

1. Can't install many motion graphic templates in one operation:

**the motion graphic template requires installation every time and only one at a time (can't multi-select) making it difficult to bulk import and work faster with many templates that require updates and replacement for new instances.

2. No organized way to replace an old template with a new template:

you can drag from the EGP over the clip in the timeline with the Alt key, but what if you got many instances in the timeline or at other sequences?

you can drag the new motion graphic template to the timeline and then you get a clip in the project panel so you can "replace with clip" the old for the new, but you need to select all the clips... a workaround if it is just one sequence is to select label group so you can select all of them in the timeline (as long as you don't have other rose labels..) and then replace with clip from bin.

what about replacing the source? you can but it's complicated -  the mograph file is linking to an aegraphic file in a complicated folder structure and the only way to actually replace source file in the project panel with source file in explorer/finder, is to unlink and relink to the new file - very complicated and error prone.

theoretically you could drag the new template to the timeline, then you get a clip in the project bin, and replace source for source in the project panel if it was possible in premiere, but no source to replace source command in Premiere that I know of (like in Ae's project panel drag source with Alt the new over the old source).

here's an example of a user that wants to replace/change the source template so all of its clips that are spread around in multiple sequences will be replaced:

Methods for updating Motion Graphics from Ae to PPro

I am waiting for instructions how is this workflow supposed to work if you have many files, and increment saves that require replacement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 24, 2018 Mar 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe should keep building into the Essential Graphics - it's SO incredibly helpful from a workflow, and it can be a REAL money maker for graphic artists.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 24, 2018 Mar 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree ... the mogrt's either from PrPro or from Ae are really an amazing extension of graphic design, but the whole workflow needs some additional tweaking or at least delineation so how we use them in multiple-user work, and for those like the OP delivering a project to clients ... to know exactly what to do.

Maybe jstrawn​ could be of use on this question, he's rather knowledgeable on the mogrt's front.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 26, 2018 Mar 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All I can say right now is that the "whole workflow" is still a work in progress and that we recognize user needs in the area. We still welcome and appreciate additional feedback though, if only to validate the priorities we've already set.

Kejitl - As for sharing mogrts, please do try downloading, moving or exporting mogrts to a Library with your user(s) to see if it is possible for the, it is the easiest way to share such things across users and/or locales.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 13, 2018 Apr 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a project using MOGRT graphics.

I have the MOGRT files installed, and a project shared with me using those graphics shows the graphic template media in the sequence offline. It won't link to the MOGRT files.

So you need the "Motion Graphics Template Media" folder with those specific instances of a graphic for them to relink?

Feels like having the MOGRT files should cover that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"MOGRT" is a colloquial shortening of the term Motion Graphics Template and MOGRTs are not actually the same as Graphics. A .mogrt is a file format, a transport mechanism for Graphics. Once applied into a sequence in Pr, a .mogrt becomes either an aegraphic or a prgraphic, depending on whether the mogrt was created and exported from within Ae or Pr. If it is a prgraphic, it is an inherent part of the project itself (just like applied effects are) and is only dependent on external media used within your prgraphics as clip layers. If it is an aegraphic, then that aegraphic must be present somewhere on your system in order for Pr to reference it. So whoever is sharing the project to you needs to send you all of its media, including any aegraphics used as well as any clip layer media. All of those things get saved right next to the project by default, in a folder called "Motion Graphics Template Media".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why are you thinking it's good to have a mogurt rather than just using an AE Graphic? Seems it's one more level rather than just using AE for titles, etc directly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We use them to have a standardized graphics package producing videos across 20 programs. It's much quicker than going into AE for everything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 16, 2018 Apr 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MyerPj  wrote

Why are you thinking it's good to have a mogurt rather than just using an AE Graphic? Seems it's one more level rather than just using AE for titles, etc directly.

You can still do that using Dynamic Link and an Ae comp in Pr. The purpose of Ae mogrts is so that people who don't know After Effects can tweak basic things in the Motion Designer's Graphics using sliders and fields in Pr's EGP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A product is designed to fit one or more needs. I find it incredibly ridiculous that at this stage, you're still thinking about workflow(s)???
The workflow(s) should have been the primary guide, in terms of UI/UX and features. IOW, everything should have begun from first having understood workflows - the workflow between grFX and editorial and within grFX designers themselves - how they can go about creating MoGRTs.

There are other HUGE issues with the Product Design behind MoGRTs. You guys need to sit down and re-think this a few times over before applying more features etc - there are huge Product Design issues at play.

Motion Graphics Brand Guidelines & Motion Graphics Responsive Design Toolkits

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 16, 2018 Apr 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Roland+Kahlenberg  wrote

A product is designed to fit one or more needs. I find it incredibly ridiculous that at this stage, you're still thinking about workflow(s)???
The workflow(s) should have been the primary guide, in terms of UI/UX and features. IOW, everything should have begun from first having understood workflows - the workflow between grFX and editorial and within grFX designers themselves - how they can go about creating MoGRTs.

There are other HUGE issues with the Product Design behind MoGRTs. You guys need to sit down and re-think this a few times over before applying more features etc - there are huge Product Design issues at play.

We're always thinking about workflows. Do you have any specific problems that I can help you work around? Or perhaps some huge Product Design issues I could help you submit the right way?

Please note that we are presently migrating to UserVoice for user-generated feature requests and bug reports. So if my participation here seems to be waning, that's why.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 26, 2018 Apr 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Where has folders and detail list view gone in the most recent update? 12.1 ... We deal with hundreds of these files and the pulling of being able to organise within folders and view in list mode has made this version unworkable for our team.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know they were anticipating that more of that organizational stuff, especially for teams, would be through Libraries ... would be nice with the folder creation/use more available also.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

michaelm11605974  wrote

Hi,

Where has folders and detail list view gone in the most recent update? 12.1 ... We deal with hundreds of these files and the pulling of being able to organise within folders and view in list mode has made this version unworkable for our team.

The old folder-style display in EGP Browser has been replaced with a Keyword + Search workflow as of Pr 12.1. We've received several requests to bring back a visible folder structure to the Browser. We value everyone's feedback, especially if you feel that a current version has become unusable. So the best place to add your vote + comment(s) to that request is here:
Make the Essential Graphics interface options flexible & robust – Adobe video & audio apps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 08, 2018 Apr 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope it helps: https://youtu.be/muICQ9rEFLs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 27, 2018 Apr 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

If folders aren't available now what have they been replaced with Libraries? I can't find a way to move / install essential graphics to libraries to share with the team. There is a Libraries check box and drop down list but I can't see a way to install / move them into a Library... These are pre-made graphics, around 60+.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think at this point looking up some of the Libraries information would help you and your organization. You can set up multiple libraries for different things or teams, and everyone can share. It also means someone developing your graphics can have good control over which version of a graphic is available. You update the logo, they remove the old one as they put the new one in the proper spot in the proper library.

No one then can use the old or "wrong" one accidentally.

The PrPro help system has several things on Libraries.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

michaelm11605974  wrote

I can't find a way to move / install essential graphics to libraries to share with the team. There is a Libraries check box and drop down list but I can't see a way to install / move them into a Library... These are pre-made graphics, around 60+.

You can Move and/or Copy Mogrts from Local to Libraries by right clicking on a mogrt in the EGP
Screen Shot 2018-04-27 at 10.41.10 AM.png
You can also Export As MOGRT to a Library for any new mogrts going forward.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 24, 2018 May 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why haven't you added the info panel to After Effects? I am not able to add keywords to my mogrts created in AE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because they are not mogrts yet when you are viewing and authoring them in Ae. They are still just comps. Also, Ae does not have a MOGRT browser. To add keywords to Ae mogrts, you need to Export As MOGRT from Ae first, then find them in Pr's EGP Browser and use the info panel to add Keywords.

It's a good request though, and we'd like to get Keywords integrated into Ae's Export as MOGRt dialog like they are for Ae. I'll add you feedback to our our exisitning request(s) as a +1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dont you agree this seems very poorly thought trough?

I need to bring 20 mogrts into Premiere just because

the same function doesn't have the same feature in AE.

Sounds like AE and PP dev teams aren't talking to each other.

And why you've just removed the local folder

listing when you do have a drop down menu for CC libraries

seems inconsistent and little thought trough.

Also, why have you not added basic batch exporting

of mogrts? Seems like such a standard functionality in 2018.

Another thing. Have you tried exporting a

mogrts using the same name of an already exported one?

This should be a fairly common thing to do as you improve

the graphic files. But try this and AE changes

the comp you are trying to export, usually to

the first in the list, right before the save destination dialogue pops up.

In order to fix this you have to temporarily change the mogrt name, save, change the name back and then save again before you press export.

Why haven't you tested and fixed such basic functionality before release?

/Kjetil

25. mai 2018 kl. 00:57 skrev jstrawn <forums_noreply@adobe.com<mailto:forums_noreply@adobe.com>>:

created by jstrawn<https://forums.adobe.com/people/jstrawn> in Premiere Pro CC - View the full discussion<https://forums.adobe.com/message/10403842#10403842>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 25, 2018 May 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition - why aren't files replaced in Creative Cloud Libraries if you export a file with the same name?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

kjetils30485119  wrote

Dont you agree this seems very poorly thought trough?

I need to bring 20 mogrts into Premiere just because

the same function doesn't have the same feature in AE.

Sounds like AE and PP dev teams aren't talking to each other.

And why you've just removed the local folder

listing when you do have a drop down menu for CC libraries

seems inconsistent and little thought trough.

Also, why have you not added basic batch exporting

of mogrts? Seems like such a standard functionality in 2018.

Another thing. Have you tried exporting a

mogrts using the same name of an already exported one?

This should be a fairly common thing to do as you improve

the graphic files. But try this and AE changes

the comp you are trying to export, usually to

the first in the list, right before the save destination dialogue pops up.

In order to fix this you have to temporarily change the mogrt name, save, change the name back and then save again before you press export.

Why haven't you tested and fixed such basic functionality before release?

/Kjetil

25. mai 2018 kl. 00:57 skrev jstrawn <forums_noreply@adobe.com<mailto:forums_noreply@adobe.com>>:

created by jstrawn<jstrawn > in Premiere Pro CC - View the full discussion<Re: Workflow with Essential Graphics templates and sharing with customers >

I am not an official customer support representative for Adobe. I am here as a fellow user who happens to know something about the features you are working with.  Ranting at me for trying to help you is not making my incentive to respond again very high. So I will just say this:

We only have so much time for so many features per release. We recognize the need to add keywords to Ae's Export as MOGRT dialog.

If you would like to report bugs or make feature requests for the other things you mentioned, the best place to do that is here:
Adobe video & audio apps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry. I did not mean to be ranting.

I am just trying to give examples of how it is to work with this feature, but I might have written this while being a bit (very) frustrated.

I apologize if I came off angry at you.

Appreciate your help.

/Kjetil

25. mai 2018 kl. 19:17 skrev James Strawn <forums_noreply@adobe.com<mailto:forums_noreply@adobe.com>>:

You have been mentioned

by James Strawn<https://forums.adobe.com/people/jstrawn?et=notification.mention> in Re: Workflow with Essential Graphics templates and sharing with customers in Adobe Community - View James Strawn's reference to you<https://forums.adobe.com/message/10405496?et=notification.mention#10405496>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines