Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

YT Downloader/Programme screen

Explorer ,
Nov 08, 2019 Nov 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone, 

So I am trying to make a movie on premiere pro, generally it is a commentary style video where I download clips from youtube/dailymotion and then commentate over the top.  

I am having problems when I'm doing it. 

The problem I have been having is when I look at the clip in the source monitor it seems to fit to screen ok. When I take the same clip and view it in the programme monitor parts of the screen are just black. 

I can adjust this by clicking "fit to screen" but this makes some of the clips very pixelated, very wide and sometimes too close in on the footage to be watchable. 

I have noticed this happens a lot more when I download from dailymotion than when I download from youtube and add the footage to my project. 

Is there a way round this? Perhaps adjusting the screen dimensions in the programme monitor to fit my footage or checking the dimensions of the clips on youtube/dailymotion before making the download?

TOPICS
Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ideally, you want the Sequence Settings to match the source footage. So if you are editing an HD clip (1920x1080) then the Sequence should also be 1920x1080 and with same frame rate also. As you are mixing clips from different sources, they likely are of different resolutions and that's where the problem arises.

What happens when you drop the first item into a blank Sequence (timeline) is that the settings of that sequence get set to match that clip. So maybe that firsts clip is full HD (1920x1080) but then another clip is SD (720x480) and that has black around it to fill the void and you blow it up larger and it looks bad. That's what's happening here basically.

So maybe figure out the dimensions of the clips you are working with, and share that info here and we can help develop a better workflow for you to use moving forward. If you right-click a clip in Project Bin and select Properties it will tell you about the clip there.

Thanks

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, that sounds exactly like the problem that I am having. 

So from right clicking on the clips, I see four different file sizes next to "image size", they are; (640 X 360, 480 X 360, 512 X 416 and 720 X 480). 

The footage I am working with is generally going to be from 20-25 years ago so I would tentatively think the resolution would generally be lower hence the smaller numbers. 

I am wondering if I changed my overall project resolution to a lower resolution say 640 X 360 then would it involve the least amount of tinkering with the remaining clips if that makes sense. 

Many thanks. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines