• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

AI Upscale Premiere Pro

Community Beginner ,
Oct 23, 2023 Oct 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would love a feature inside Premiere that utilizes AI for upscaling and restoring videos. I have a substantial amount of standard-definition (SD) material that I'd like to improve in quality.

Idea No status
TOPICS
Effects , Export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
18 Comments
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Take a look at Topaz Video Ai 

This is a standalone app but has very good capabilities to upscale, reduce grain on low light footage etc. you can download a free demo with watermark.

You do need quite a powerful PC or Mac to speed up processing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Topaz can produce amazing results, and it's continuing to be a work in progress, so it keeps getting better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did before posting this proposal.  I think Adobe has to have its own engine to do this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Oct 24, 2023 Oct 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe doesn't have their own engine to do this. They have a concept project called Project ResUp. Whether that becomes something or not is a wait or see type of thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Oct 27, 2023 Oct 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did suggest as an idea to Topaz Video to integrate it as a Plug In or Extension to Premiere Pro to make workflow much easier.

NEAT Video have a plug in drag and drop over Timeline footage to improve low light noise grain when High ISO is used.

This seems to work much better than the Premiere De-Noise built in feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Oct 27, 2023 Oct 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I definitely prefer a standalone version, and I wish Neat had one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Oct 29, 2023 Oct 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Depends on what workflow you prefer. To have the two options - standalone or Plug-in would be the best of course !

Anyway, a bit of a non issue at present as the Plug In does not exist.

I have only just purchased Topaz Video Ai (V4 version) so still getting to grips with it.

Seems I have to upgrade my GPU (funds permitting one day) as processing time is slow on some algorithms .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Dec 01, 2023 Dec 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! I also just bought Topaz Video AI (this cybermonday). What is your current workflow? I am exporting from Premiere Pro as Prores 422 HQ files short clips that have noise and opening them in Topaz Video, doing the denoise there and exporting as another Prores 422 HQ file, importing that to premiere and using that in the timeline to thenm export the complete video. It's very time consuming. Is there a better workflow?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A3, what's you're original footage?

I've been using Topaz for a couple years now, and I usually bring in my raw footage. Or, cut my clips without re-encoding using Shutter Encoder. Especially if I have h.264 footage, I tend to put that thru Topaz and create the ProRes in that program.

https://www.shutterencoder.com/en/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Myer, thanks for the reply. My footage is normally in H264 8bit mp4 from my canon R6 and R7. I just recently started testing the Clog3 profile with H265 422 10bit. I edit my clips on Premiere Pro and just export individual clips that I find have too much noise. I assumed exporting in ProRess 422 HQ to then import in Topaz Video, would be better than exporting in the same h264 mp4 and import that in Topaz to then export it again (wither in the same h264, though topaz has less settings than premiere, or in proress 422 HQ). 
I will check Shutterencoder, thanks for the suggestion. So you are using Topaz for almost all your clips before editing them? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once you are in ProRes, the problems become less. So, get your clips into that as soon as possible. Like any video processor, Topaz works better and quicker with ProRes files. I have some family 8mm footage I'm have scanned as we speak (for the third time, 1-sd, 2-hd (film chain) 3- LaserGraphics. Also a bunch of DV tapes from 8mm, 16mm and 3/4" video. I've just seen an h.264 of the Laser Graphics and they look very nice, good improvement. These guys are very cool: https://periscopefilm.com/telecine/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, so I guess I need to continue doing the my current process: exporting the noisy or "low"res clips from Premiere Pro as Prores 422 HQ and opening them in Topaz Video, doing the denoise / enhance there, exporting as another Prores 422 HQ file, and importing that to premier back to the timeline. I hope Topaz finishes soon devoliping the Premiere Pro plugin (they have a beta version for AE)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try them both.

• 1) h.264 into Topaz to export to ProRes, then good to go.
  • 2) Cnvt to ProRes as you are saying, then into Topaz to export again in ProRes.

For me 1 works best, saves a generation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Dec 07, 2023 Dec 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I'll give it a try. I have been exporting to Proress 422 10bit to insert into Topaz, asuming if I exported as H264 mp4 8bit, it would loose more details that could make Topaz not work as good. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Jan 07, 2024 Jan 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As some of you may have seen - Beta Plug In for Topaz into Premiere Pro coming very soon (Q1 2024 I would think )

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 15, 2024 Jan 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I saw someone use Topaz to upscale Viva La Bam and the result it quite nice. But $300 is quite pricey for ocassional users as me. Then I digged through google and find some free/open source alternatives, basically they are GUI for AI uspcaling algorithms such as Real-ESRGAN.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jan 16, 2024 Jan 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks good, I'll give it a try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
May 07, 2024 May 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I don't think this has been mentioned yet:  After Effects has Detail-preserving Upscale.  It's meant for a scale increase for video or stills up to 200%.  It was originally introduced for SD to HD but works well for HD to UDH.

After sending a clip to After Effects, it can be found under Effect > Distort > Detail-preserving Upscale.

I use it for anything from 110% to 200%.

If needing to go above 200%, I'll use Topaz Labs Video AI.

Now that we have the Topaz Video AI plugin for After Effects, I should probably install it and get in the habit of using it.  I'm also excited to see that they're working on their plugin for Premiere Pro.  

A native Adobe tool in Premiere Pro, perhaps a variation of Photoshop's Super Zoom Neural Filter, would be great to see so that we have an option that's included with our Creative Cloud subscription right inside our Premiere Pro Timeline.  While Super Zoom can be used with video in Photoshop, I'd say it's clunky at best to get a clip rendered from Photoshop (it uses Adobe Media Encoder, but not in the background).

Votes

Translate

Translate