• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

cut counter in pp ?

Community Beginner ,
Feb 03, 2021 Feb 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As an editor,  you sometimes receive content that has flaws and must be cut up a lot, which extends the edit hours you would normally have if the content that was delivered for the edit had some basic ground rules to make the edit clean,  for example, flawed content of in camera speakers. This leads to a lot of extensive cutting and a lot more time 'saving' the video than one would normally. When you write an essay or a text on doc you always get a word count. I would find it very useful to have a counter that keeps track of all the cuts you made in one sequence. Having this data would help to 'proof' to the client that certain edits take more work because the content delivered was so flawed. Anybody who has an idea if that is an option in PP? 

Idea No status

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
8 Comments
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Off of the top of my head I can't think of a way to do this. One idea would be to take occassional screen captures of your History Panel. But keep in mind that the History Panel clears itself if you close Premiere Pro or if Premiere Pro crashes (which realistically, does happen unfortunately).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having this data would help to 'proof' to the client that certain edits take more work because the content delivered was so flawed. 

How annoying, OUNI.  It's too bad you have to prove this to a client because they don't trust your word when you tell them, "man, your talent is terrible!" But then again, your client might actually be the talent. If talent is so bad, you should just ship them a teleprompter. You'd save yourself a lot of trouble. LOL. 

Kidding aside, it's not a bad feature request (edit: I will move this to the Ideas forum).

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 12, 2021 Feb 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin, thanks for your reply! In the speakers/clients defense, it was quite an extensive  keynote series last-minute transformed to a video series because of C-1nine which created a situation where many keynote speakers who are used to 'freeflowing' before a public audience without having to think too much how to speak in camera, or how they pronounce their words, or even how to properly finish a sentence straight in the camera without looking to their keynote desktops, suddenly experience stumbling over their words, blanking out or being confronted with their true 'on the spot' knowledgeand  formulations/phrasings of that knowledge, which at times created content that needed to be cut phrase by phrase, which is... exhausting, as you can imagine. 🙂 A teleprompter was used at times in need, but even then many speakers doing sessions in different languages other then their own had a hard time with pronounciation, phrase tonation etc, which also creates many extra cuts and prolongues the edit hours. But yeah...you get the point it's annoying to have to 'defend' your case as an editor that this creates longer edit hours. I thought it might be a interesting (nerdy) data tool to have as an editor.  I will definitely do the feature request, thanks for sharing. OUNI 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 12, 2021 Feb 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply Brandon! I also tried to take a screenshot of my full sequence window on a huge screen to have a visual view of the cuts but in some keynotes the cuts where so many I couldnt even fit it totally in one blown up sequence line without scrolling (LOL) so I gave up on that idea as well, because compressed to a 'screenshottable' overview it just showed a line of many lines and I figured  hey; a cut counter as a data tool would be handy knowledge to counter clients who are new in working with video content orders who say: "It could not have been thàt much work, right?" Also, the nerd in me would feel some gratificiation with that knowledge. OUNI 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Feb 23, 2021 Feb 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand your frustration. Thanks for making the request.

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would it help if you knew how many clips there were in the sequence.

If so: select all clips and read the Info panel.

It tells you how many item were selected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If all your cuts are on one track and you have that track targeted you could manually count each cut by hitting the down arrow key to advancing the time indicator to the next cut. And just count how many times you press the key. Not ideal, I know, but I've done that a few times.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 07, 2024 Feb 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry I guess I'm late to the party 🙂

Simple,

Step #1. In your projects tab right click on Metadata Display, search then checkmark "Video Usage".

Step#2. In your timeline, nest the edit you wanna count.

Step#3. Right click on the resulting nest in your timeline and apply Scene Edit Detection. 

Done and... VOILA! Glance at that Video Usage metadata and it will tell you the number of cuts you have.

NOTES (for those who probably needs it):

*Video Usage tallies up the number of times an individual clip has been used within your project and on which sequence it was used at its precise location. The above nesting method unifies your whole edit as if it was only one clip and the Video Usage tells you how many times it occures on any given timelines. Same goes for the Audio Usage.

*Scene Edit Detection fails on dissolves, so either take those out first or manually add a cut to that point afterwards.

Votes

Translate

Translate