• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Modifying font and font size in the interface

LEGEND ,
Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to be able to change the font and font size across the board in the interface. it is WAY to small for my old eyes

Idea No status
TOPICS
Editing and playback

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 149 Replies 149
149 Comments
Engaged ,
Oct 15, 2024 Oct 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's possible to increase the DPI scaling for Windows but doesn't affect Premiere really.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Oct 15, 2024 Oct 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's why it's important to match your 'high resolution' monitor with the the right pixel size. If the pixel size is too small (ie: it will be if you have a hi-res monitor that's not physically large enough), you'll have problems, especially with 'older eyes'. For me, I can't go beyond 2560x1400 with a 32" monitor. I'd need at least 40" to move to UHD.

When you use OS screen scaling, you are essentially dumbing down (reducing the resolution) of your very high-res monitor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Oct 17, 2024 Oct 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After 2025 update the 'option'  to increase font size has been removed.

I am guessing lots of people used this option (including me) as on a large monitor the font is very tiny.

Being able to change font size in the Project window does not solve the issue, nor does scaling in the OS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Definitely! This is one of those things that seems so obvious, it's a puzzler why it's not done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I started another conversation about this and was told there was no option to increase it. Adobe needs to consider people over the age of 40!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No there is no way to increase the font.

Hence, this feature request I posted.

Please upvote.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Upvoted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

upvoted

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My wife has poor vision, and has since childhood. Glasses only go so far. Even the unapproved / unsupported console command only went so far, but it was a help. Not being able to make things legible might just wrap it up for her. After 30 years as a producer, I'd hate for this to be why she had to stop editing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Oct 18, 2024 Oct 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If Adobe hasn't noticed, its competitors have highly-customizable interfaces as an accomodation to all users, especially with the advent of 4k and higher monitors. Why Adobe is choosing to be a dinosaur is a mystery, and does not bode well for the longevity of the company. Before adding any more (dubious) AI capabilities and whatnot to your products, please address this glaring shortcoming. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

why is this still a problem? unbelievable. If I change the display scaling setting on windows, all the panels and context menus become so big they become painful to use.

IT'S 2024. THERE ARE POSTS FROM 2015 REQUESTING THIS! HOW CAN SUCH AN APPLICATION NOT HAVE A UI SCALING AND TEXT SIZE OPTION FOR ITS UI? IF ANY MODS ARE READING THIS PLEASE AT LEAST GIVE AN UPDATE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been pusing for this for years. Maybe, someday?

But in general, every one of the pro video post apps is different. I work for/with/teach pro colorists, so for a decade, I'm in and out of both Premiere and Resolve daily.

Premiere allows wonderful workspace customization, which you cannot actually do in Resolve.

So in Premiere, I have built nine custom workspaces, and I love that.

In Resolve, well ... most screen segments have several bits. Like the lower left, Primary wheels, Printer Lights, Log Wheels, HDR wheels ... and you can only choose which of those is the one you see on going to the Color page. That is "customization" in Resolve.

Adobe allows nearly all options in the app to be ported to control surfaces, by any maker. So my Tangent Elements panel does everything from color through audio mixing to graphics size/position/rotation to ... anything.

Resolve ... Ok, this is totally understandable, as Resolve is 'only' a loss-leader produced to get you to buy hardware, which is where they make the necessary profit. And I've got enough BM kit to have extra licenses sitting around. I've never even needed to think about paying for Resolve Studio.

But their attitude on hardware is SO different. While they allow ... a few ... things of an Elements panel to function in color only! ... most color tools are not mapped to the panel, the mappings are not user-controlled, and it's only usable on the Color page.

You can buy BM panels, but ... they only work on one page of Resolve. The color panels do not do anything else, Fairlight audio panels cost up the wazoo, no, this is not user-customizable.

Premiere also has far more editing keyboard shortcuts available than Resolve.

The most serious place Premiere really badly needs change in customization is screen text size. There's several other things, but this to me is the worst failing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Keep upvoting the thread here - the big number, upper left next to the thread title. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is frankly an ableist choice - it's crazy to make it harder to see your own interface

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I completly agree with every veteran editor struggling with the small font size. I literally tried to enlarge it today as I've done in previous versions of premier, and alas, that ability was removed. Bigger font in the project is not sufficient. We need font across the whole UI enlarged significantly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Oct 19, 2024 Oct 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I fail to understand the logic behind people suggesting buying new hardware to solve a problem the software developers are overlooking.

Accessibility is the core of any product and design work. We do this as editors and designers so that the viewers are able to appreciate the work we produce with ease, Adobe should have done the same for its editors years ago.

I believe no one with proper skills left at Adobe to know what even accesibility is meant to be. Their programmers and sales team should read their own courses on the topic and try to educatet hemselves on the topic before trying to 'AI' everything.

I have an idea, if people at Adobe think that adding AI to their crippled programs will increase their sales, maybe they can let the AI help them with accessibility.

Oh wait wait,  let me help with that for you since the DEVs are probably busy meeting the unrealistic requirements of the sales dept.

"Accessibility in software development refers to designing and developing software that is usable by people with disabilities. It ensures that everyone, regardless of their abilities, can access and use software effectively. This includes people with visual, auditory, motor, cognitive, or other impairments.

**Core aspects of accessibility in software development:**

1. **Perceivable:** Information and user interface components must be presented to users in ways they can perceive. This includes providing alternative text for images, captions for videos, and auditory descriptions for visual content.
2. **Operable:** User interface components and navigation must be operable. This means providing keyboard navigation, avoiding reliance on mouse interactions, and ensuring that controls are understandable and intuitive.
3. **Understandable:** Information and user interface must be understandable. This involves providing clear and concise instructions, using plain language, and avoiding complex jargon.
4. **Robust:** Software must be robust enough to be compatible with various assistive technologies and user agents. This includes supporting screen readers, voice recognition software, and other assistive tools.

**UI scalability and readability:**

- **Scalability:** UI should adapt to different screen sizes and resolutions. This means using responsive design principles and ensuring that elements are legible and usable on various devices.
- **Readability:** Text and other visual elements should be easy to read. This involves using appropriate font sizes, colors, and contrast levels. Ensure that text is well-spaced and avoids clutter.

**Additional considerations:**

- **Color contrast:** Ensure sufficient color contrast between text and background to improve readability for people with visual impairments.
- **Keyboard accessibility:** Provide clear keyboard shortcuts and ensure that all functionality can be accessed using the keyboard.
- **Alternative input methods:** Consider supporting alternative input methods, such as voice control or touch gestures, for users with limited motor function.
- **Testing with users with disabilities:** Involve users with disabilities in the testing process to identify and address accessibility barriers.

By incorporating accessibility into the software development process, you can create software that is inclusive and usable by a wider range of people."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey mods! Check this out and please give us an update. It's been years. Thank you 🙂

[Edited by moderator]

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How about actually reading the words we've written?

"We" volunteers cannot change the policy on mentioning the console, and in truth, there's good reason for most users to stay the flip outta there. As someone who's helped around here over a decade, I've had a bunch of times where I needed to go to the private messages to get someone sorted who really, really mucked up their ability to get anything done.

Past that, all the community types I've seen would love to have the UI font size control added. "We" tend to give practical comments as to what you can, as a user, do now, just to get working.

That never implies any of us would not want the change requested. It's just a practical comment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and I don't think anyone who's not on the programming team at adobe has a clue as to how complex the program is and how changes can have unpredictable and unintended consequences.    Every decade or so, developers of software this complex will decide to rebuild the software from the ground up to take advantage of advances in hardware and operating systems ...  if they're nice people, they maintain the previous user interface, if they're the spawn of satan they throw the baby out with the bath water...   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry if the community volunteers are getting grief, but who else is there to reach out to? I presume Adobe is okay with enlisting volunteers as cannon fodder while the Adobe app coders comfortably busy themselves with who knows what? More dubious AI features? They in turn are being directed by their apparently clueless managers. It would be nice to chat with Adobe CEO Shantanu Narayen; maybe he could help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Making comments about a variety of things can really weaken your main point, if the other comments are well ... not solid, perhaps.

Such as your Ai comment. The "Ai' is actually of course machine learning. And is used for such things as the incredibly popular text based editing process. The transcription process used is based off machine learning.

And a lot of the users are using the Ai things already. I've tested a couple, including the 'generative extend', myself, and that is something that as it is, is sometimes useful, and will get better.

And when it is useful, it can save your bacon.

One of the first things to understand is that we are all different, and we all work differently.

Something you find ridiculous might be used by someone else in a way you didn't know of, and be incredibly useful. That is constant in pro video post workflows.

So, I would suggest allowing that others will have vastly different viewpoints than yours. In fact, as I do, I would suggest you expect that everyone will have a different viewpoint and different working processes than you.

As it is both actually accurate ... and gets more polite discussions amongst users. Which are truly fascinating and informative when people are simply polite and accept they are unique.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

uh... all we want is to be able to read the words on the monitor.  Its not that complicated nor worth more than one or two paragraphs.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Michael Grenadier,

You posted the option for accessibility/magnifier for mac. In Windows, Settings -> "ease of use" -> Magnifier - does similar things. I'll discuss it in more detail below.

I have great sympathy for all the users who were using the console to work around this problem. But it's gone, and we need to find a way to move on, including upvoting this Idea to provide direct control of these variables.

I rarely use anything other than a largish UHD monitor that works just fine for me, but Helene forced me onto my surface pro and a MUCH smaller workspace. So a few comments from that perspective.

The Surface Pro (omg I don't recall which model) is a 12.25 inch monitor which I am running at the (recommended) 2736 x 1824. When I tried to reduce the resolution (I don't recall by what, it may have been simple HD resolution), it was below the PR requirement.

I am going on a major trip soon and will be working on it using Lightroom and PR. So I am motivated to look at this issue.

For the record, I am old, have always been very near-sighted, and age-related chances have not helped much. But I have progressive lenses that provide very good correction. And I can work on the Surface in PR 2025. But it often requires careful attention and, if I were working in a production environment, would be fatiguing and difficult.

I have the setting for scaling ("Change the size of text, apps, and other items") at 200% (Recommended), and no advanced/custom scaling (which has caused issues in the past). Today, I changed Setting -> Ease of Access/Display -> "Make text bigger" to 125% (percent appears as you adjust). 150% creates too much text running into images etc.

NONE of these changes affect all the text in PR. For example, font size in the Transcript tab is controlled by the Font size slider. Font size in the Project Panel is controlled by the 3 line/hamburger menu font size option. Panel tab headers are not affected. Menu commands at the top do respond.

Also today, in PR, I used Edit -> Preferences -> Appearance, and set Color Theme to Darkest and Accessible color contrast to "on."

I looked again today at the Windows magnifier option. Like any aid, it has a learning curve. It is an easy on/off (Start + [Plus] and Start + [Minus]). There are numerous modes and settings. Today, I used only these few:

Speed 150
Zoom increments 25%
Zoom 150%

Lens mode with 60 wide 70 high

This works pretty well, in part since keyboard shortcuts work as if the magnifier is not there.

Occasionally, Start + Minus does not exit magnifier mode, but there is a small window that can be x'd out.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Stan, I figured there must be a similar option in Windows.   

This is what makes this place so valuable... 

The absolute dismissal of the possibility that there might be a way to make this work in windows, was daunting... 

if you spend any amount of time here, you quickly learn who you can trust...   and was wondering who Helene was for a few minutes.  

That said, yes this is a workaround that's not ideal, but my macstudio with an apple thunderbolt monitor and the easy access to the zoom feature makes it workable.   I started wearing glasse for extreme nearsightedness in the first grade...  had black and blue marks on my nose because my glasses were so heavy in the days before plastic lenses, dwas almost legally blind before I had my cataracts fixed maybe 5 years ago...   so I sympathize with everyone having difficulty reading the screen.   But this forum is about asking questions, and helping others...  and between my solution for Mac and Stan's for Windows,  hopefully we've helped a few people.    

People, think about how scaling the fonts etc in the interface is gonna impact so many things...  as it is, we see people complaining here because in certain screen resolutions, the save, continue, whatever options. are not on the screen.   So in some ways, the zoom feature is the ideal solution.    And so many people are using so many different combinations of hardware that it's gotta be a conundrum for Adobe to know how to proceed.  

Trying to remember how I discovered the zoom feature...  Feels like it's been years...   but digging into the OS and all the settings can be really valuable, not to mention all the possibilities in Premiere...    

Votes

Translate

Translate