• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro CC: can blue text interface be changed back to yellow?

Enthusiast ,
Oct 06, 2014 Oct 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wondering if there's an option in preferences to change the color of the interface text. It used to be yellow and now it's more difficult to see.

I notice the blue text across the entire range of updated programs: AE, PP, Photoshop, etc.

So is it a setting in the cloud itself that would allow me to change the color back to yellow?

If not, not big issue, I'll just have to get used to it. Love the new interface in any case. Much more responsive with no issues.

Thank you, Adobe!

Idea No status Locked

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 337 Replies 337
337 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 13, 2015 Apr 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI Stephen,

I'm not sure why this has to be added as a feature request again.

Did you ask for "change it back to gold" or "make it any color you choose?" If you made one for "change it back" instead of "customize colors," (and that's what you want) you can make another feature request. The reason you file feature requests is to let the team know how strong the demand is for any feature.

If you wish complain about things, that's fine, however it's much better to give the team direct feedback.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Derjis,

I know you're not happy, but we are making significant steps toward a much more customizable UI. I'm not sure how much you know about the software business, but sometimes it takes time to get certain features implemented for a variety of reasons that aren't all that apparent to users.. We're not dismissing this feature by any means and as Support Product Manager, I am fully advocating for what you want. I apologize if this is not good enough for you, but seriously, I am trying my best.

Thanks again for your patience.

Regards,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin,

We're all professionals here. We've given feedback. It was ignored. Now we are splitting hairs. I don't care if you put it back to gold or give me a color picker – what's the difference!?

I will gladly re-submit feedback... again.

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI Timmy CC,

I also don't understand the Adobe staff saying that it is difficult to implement such a change.  I've done my fair share of programming over the years (granted not on the scale that Adobe does, not nearly and it has been a long time) ... but really??

Seems like someone is not doing a very efficient job of programming -- one of the main rules of programming --- if the code wasn't created in such a way that changing interface COLORS is a major overhaul.  What am I missing?

I am not sure you've ever worked with an application as complicated as Premiere Pro. I'm sure our engineering staff will find a solution for this issue, however, as I replied to Derjis, sometimes it takes time. It's not only the code that must be created, it's the testing behind it to make sure that it doesn't break something else. Such is the nature of computer code. The more complex the core application is, the more careful you have to be. Add to that the many bug fixes, feature enhancements, asks from our broadcast partners, etc., and you might have a feeling for the magnitude even a small change might have on the work that needs to be done for Premiere Pro overall.

As far as coding a static color for the UI or a dynamic one in which you can change the colors, I'm not an engineer, so I can't speak to the complexity of such a task.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI Steve,

We're all professionals here. We've given feedback. It was ignored. Now we are splitting hairs. I don't care if you put it back to gold or give me a color picker – what's the difference!?

I will gladly re-submit feedback... again.

A lot of people complain very loudly, however, never give us feedback. That's why I'm always asking people to do so. I don't know who on this thread filed a feature request, but if you did, thank you.

Feedback was not ignored because we made an incremental step to making the UI more customizable. However, I can understand that you might be upset that we did not give you all you wanted at this point in time. Sorry for that.

Just know, there's no easy way to either "change it back" or "put in a color picker."

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For all of you who need to resubmit the feature request. Here is the link, and here is some text.

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

*******Enhancement / FMR*********

Brief title for your desired feature:

The implemented brightness adjustment of the blue highlight color in the upcoming release does not address previous concerns. Please revert highlighted field color back to GOLD or provide users with the ability to CHANGE the color in the interface.

How would you like the feature to work?

In the interest of accommodating all users, in the Appearance preferences panel > Highlight color, please provide a color picker.

Why is this feature important to you?

The blue color against the gray does not contrast well enough.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't get me wrong, Kevin; I know that this is in no way, shape or form your fault. I think we're just generally frustrated with the direction Adobe's corporate culture seems to be headed in. I've mentioned this a bunch of times on these forums, but most of us here use your software to earn a living; this is how we keep the lights on, pay our mortgages and put food on the table. If Adobe makes hasty, seemingly arbitrary decisions to remove features, rushes out half-baked, bug-filled updates, and generally makes it more difficult to earn money, of course there's going to be pushback from the community. It all contributes to a general perception that Adobe doesn't listen, that they don't care about their customers. That perception may be a little unfair, but I know that I'm not the only one who feels that way.

As always, thanks for the feedback, Kevin. I know you wind up being the lightning rod for a lot of customer dissatisfaction; I can't speak for anyone else, but I definitely appreciate what you do for the community.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Giving my 2c.... I don't like the new look. Geezz, cant they just leave well enough alone! Thanks for forcing me into changing what I've been looking at for the last few years. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 16, 2015 Apr 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just echoed Stephen's feature request (and would encourage anyone who hasn't to please do so). The  blue text is a glaring flaw in what otherwise appears to be a good upgrade.

Although a customizable color change is at least a small can of worms, here's a thought: If Adobe has good programmers and code management (and i bet they do), a 'private' or optional change back to gold could be accomplished by one constant(variable) change and a re-compile. Any chance of that?

Jeff B.

Votes

Translate

Translate

People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

... a 'private' or optional change back to gold could be accomplished by one constant(variable) change and a re-compile. Any chance of that?

I think that there was a perfectly good explanation for the reason that won't be done already posted in this thread. Won't, not Can't.

From post #174,

"I would imagine that the reality is that Adobe spent a pile of money hiring some wank to overhaul and Tron-ify the UIs of their product line; they can't very well backtrack on that just because their pesky customers are asking for a change."

Now, I might not have put it quite that way, but if Adobe paid a lot of money to their consultant, who may have been related to Dogbert for all I know considering the outcome, then they can't very well change their mind. Not so soon anyway. Think of it like New Coke. It took them a while to realize the mistake, didn't it?

That leaves Adobe, in my opinion, with the only option being the much more difficult task of making it customizable. They can't go back, and forward means a lot of work.

But that is just my guess and doesn't count for much.

artofzootography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin:

I appreciate your situation, and I also appreciate your going to bat on our behalf on a continuing basis.  As you know, I share the frustration with the seemingly slow response (not to mentioned, seems ignored) to our color change request, but I will post another request(s) using the official channels.  I have always done so for both PP and AE.

-Tim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tim,

Software development has never been known to be "fast." I'm sorry that making incremental progress is not good enough for you, but I hope you can see the path we're going down. In other words, just because you didn't get all you wanted in this release doesn't mean something great isn't coming down the pike.

Please know that creating a customizable UI like the one you want is a very tall order. I know of no other NLEs (or any other application for that matter) that have such a feature. Please give us time and I hope we will find a solution that is suitable for all.

If there is anything more I can do for you, please let me know. If you still feel the need to vent, go ahead, but make sure your feature request is in place first.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I know of no other NLEs (or any other application for that matter) that have such a feature. Please give us time and I hope we will find a solution that is suitable for all."

Cinema 4D allows the user to customize just about everything...move elements anywhere and adjust colors... It's possible...just saying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please know that creating a customizable UI like the one you want is a very tall order. I know of no other NLEs (or any other application for that matter) that have such a feature.

Admittedly, it's been a few years since I've run Media Composer, but MC used to (still does?) allow you to customize the colors of pretty much everything independently --- buttons, button highlight, track color, text highlights, dialogue boxes, etc. I know for a fact that the feature goes back at least to version 2.7, and as recently as 6.5. I could be mistaken, but wasn't 2.7 released, like, a decade ago...? Kevin, you can't seriously expect us to believe thst Adobe has a hard time figuring out a basic UI customization feature that its competition has had for at least a decade...  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I know of no other NLEs (or any other application for that matter) that have such a feature. Please give us time and I hope we will find a solution that is suitable for all."

In addition to what others have mentioned, just off the top of my head, Anime Studio allows you to customize just about everything.  So does Carrara as well as Vue (to some extent) and a few other seriously complicated apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Derjis wrote:

Please know that creating a customizable UI like the one you want is a very tall order. I know of no other NLEs (or any other application for that matter) that have such a feature.

Admittedly, it's been a few years since I've run Media Composer, but MC used to (still does?) allow you to customize the colors of pretty much everything independently --- buttons, button highlight, track color, text highlights, dialogue boxes, etc. I know for a fact that the feature goes back at least to version 2.7, and as recently as 6.5. I could be mistaken, but wasn't 2.7 released, like, a decade ago...? Kevin, you can't seriously expect us to believe thst Adobe has a hard time figuring out a basic UI customization feature that its competition has had for at least a decade... 

Yep...still allows all of that. But admitedly, if Adobe can't figure out how to allow sorting by date, I'm not so sure that adding a hue controller to the brightness control that we've seen previewed is within their capabilities.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find it hilarious how Adobe can work all this magic in their programs but OMG UI CUSTOMIZATION!?! ARE YOU MAD?!?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 17, 2015 Apr 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sam,

It's not just UI customization, you're asking the team to create an all-new dynamic UI. Currently, the UI is completely static. The upcoming version has dynamic elements, so you can see where the team is going. By "magic," I assume you mean morph-cut which was developed by a completely different team.

Now that I've explained, I hope that you have filed that feature request so that we can move forward on this.

Regards,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very well. I've not run Media Composer for years. If that feature was created years ago, so be it. Do you know if that feature was added incrementally? I bet it was. You're asking the team to make a customizable UI in the span of a single version. That's not enough time to develop such a feature.

Feel free to split hairs, but regardless. It is a tall order. Again, you can see where the team is going, so please be patient.

Regards,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep...still allows all of that. But admitedly, if Adobe can't figure out how to allow sorting by date...

Fixed in the upcoming version. All columns are sortable. You will have to add the column for sorting by date from the Metadata Display, however.

I'm not so sure that adding a hue controller to the brightness control that we've seen previewed is within their capabilities.

Please try the new feature before you complain about it. What you are asking for is certainly possible, but if it's not obvious enough, you can see where you're going. You're just going to have to exercise a little more patience.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's possible...just saying.

Hi,

I never said it's not possible. What I am saying is that a feature like this might take more than one version to complete. I hope that's OK.

Cheers,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the frustration here is that they changed the color based on what "looked more modern", when the actual users don't care about that.  We care about ending the day without have to squint at every tiny bit of text.  Since the text size also cannot be adjusted, they completely wrecked the usability.

Plus, the original question (and what everyone after also requested) was for the text to go back to yellow so we can read it.  I don't need customizable interface colors, I need to be able to work in relative comfort.  I don't even like yellow, sooo not my favorite color, but in this case, it works and that's what I want (and had until Adobe decided it wasn't pretty enough).

I'll download the new version and try it out but the bottom line is, I won't be keeping any upgrades until the interface is such that I can get through an hour, let alone a full day, without wrestling with those text blobs and ending up with a headache.

and yes, I've already put in my change request.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Quirkied,

I think the frustration here is that they changed the color based on what "looked more modern", when the actual users don't care about that. 

Actually, a lot of people like the blue UI. However, I can understand your point. Thanks for filing your feature request.

Since the text size also cannot be adjusted, they completely wrecked the usability.

You can increase font size in the Project panel. Please check that out.

Plus, the original question (and what everyone after also requested) was for the text to go back to yellow so we can read it. 

Actually, you saw that request and a request to make the UI a customizable color.

I'll download the new version and try it out but the bottom line is, I won't be keeping any upgrades until the interface is such that I can get through an hour, let alone a full day, without wrestling with those text blobs and ending up with a headache.

Yes, when I found out that this caused health issues, I escalated the issue to the Premiere Pro team and to my superiors in Support. I believe they are moving quickly towards a solution that will work for everyone. Sorry for the current issues with legibility.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, Kevin, that is great to hear.  Although, it just dawned on me ... all this talk is about Premiere Pro, which I rarely use compared to After Effects.  Is it safe to assume similar measures are being taken by the After Effects team ?  Or no, to I (and others) have to wage a completely separate "campaign"?

Thanks,

Tim

PS> I'll also ask this over in the AE thread on the same subject.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Timmy,

Well, Kevin, that is great to hear.  Although, it just dawned on me ... all this talk is about Premiere Pro, which I rarely use compared to After Effects.  Is it safe to assume similar measures are being taken by the After Effects team ?  Or no, to I (and others) have to wage a completely separate "campaign"?

Yes, the work on the UI is across all the digital video applications. The Premiere Pro and After Effects teams (and others) work together on items like this.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate