• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Restore MKV Format Support

LEGEND ,
Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Removing MKV Format support has a negative impact on the workflow of people that work with broadcasting software like OBS. Restore MKV support. Having native support for MKVs, even if they don't edit well without generating proxies, saves me a ton of time that I'd otherwise have to spend remuxing/transcoding files.
Idea Started
TOPICS
Import and ingest

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023
Hi all,

MKV support is actively being worked on. I don't have a release date to share currently but when that changes, I will update this message.

Regards,

Fergus

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 282 Replies 282
282 Comments
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

si es verdad

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree too.

Please support mkv files

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What codecs ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, please!. MKV it´s a popular wrapper and OPEN SOURCE. You do not need to pay to anyone for use it. It will be very useful even export directly MKV files, because sometimes is better.

We all know that "under" a MKV there is the CODEC, that Premiere load perfectly (mainly HEVC, H264 and others too). But needing to extract the "essential" and wrap to MP4 or something else is a pain in the head, when simply importing it will be fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you include a functionality in your software (even unofficially), it has the tendency to generate confidence and expectation that you will continue to support it (otherwise, why include it in the first place)?

Is .mkv playback such a burden on Premiere's code base that it just NEEDED to go? As basically a footnote in a minor version release? Is it worth ******* clients off and causing possibly catastrophic business consequences for them, when they are suddenly unable to edit or process any of their video footage in a proven useful codec?

I guess you have no clue what this 'inconvenience' as you termed it entails. We are now faced with an entire season's worth of content that will require a software rollback to edit, along with all the .pprog version conflict nightmares that is already presenting. My apologies but I've been up for the last 18 hours dealing with this 'inconvenience' that will just keep on giving into the future.

Thanks for that.

P.S. the only reason we have to use .mkv is because Premiere cannot edit .mp4 files recorded in OBS without audio sync issues. So what you've done is basically created a technological impasse for clients who are using a workaround necessitated by the deficiencies of your own software. Well worth the subscription price.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And why in the world was this done in a minor version release, rather than in a major annual release (when clients are more apt to monitor big changes and the removal of functionality their businesses rely on)?

It isn't even standard practice (or very wise) to ship software that is going to break things (read: disrupt business) in a minor version release, no matter how low the usage is deemed to be.

It doesn't seem to be a customer-centric approach. We are really suffering needlessly because of this. We are one of the top online education platforms in the world, and process hundreds of hours of video content every year. With vendors like you, who needs competitors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just launched creative cloud to find out the newest version REMOVED support of importing MKV files... WHY!!!??

On Windows, to record screen captures, we use OBS which is pretty widely used and in order to have that program save files still to the disk if it crashes, it recommends using mkv files, since mp4 files in OBS won't save to disk if it crashes.. so now what are we supposed to do?

As a paying customer of Adobe, and a full time video creator working on several hundreds of projects a year, I cannot understand how the Premiere team makes the decisions they do. The software is buggy to no end, 2 crash reports sent in today because I tried to add warp stabilizer to a clip, then time remapping won't allow me to properly speed ramp, it just removes the majority of the clip if I increase the speed.... So I look to see if theres a new updates and there is! Great! I look to see what's new and see that the NEW thing is REMOVING a feature.................... If I update, I will no longer be able to use OBS, or I'll have to convert the mkv files before importing, which is a pain either way.

Updates are supposed to make things better, not worse.

ughhh.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why would you remove support for mkv files in the latest version??

OBS on windows records to mkv files and many people use it for screen captures, mkv is the recommended file type in OBS because it will save the file to the drive even if OBS crashes; MP4 will not do that.. So now I can't import ANY screencaptures I've done into Premiere Pro, or Media Encoder............................. This is extremely frustrating.

At the very lease Media Encoder should be able to convert it to a format that Premiere will be able to use.

We live in a time where there's MANY different formats and codecs, it makes no sense why you would just drop support...............

Now as a paying customer of the 'professional' Adobe suit, I have no way to import and edit any of my .mkv screen captures. Shouldn't my professional video editing programs allow me to edit my videos?

It worked just fine in 13.1.2, but why in 13.1.3 the support was dropped?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey - I completely agree with it. Doesn't make any sense for Adobe to remove support of MKV files.. Especially from Media Encoder!! The point of Media Encoder is to encode media, but it can't do that anymore with mkv files. Premiere also can't ingest mkv files to ProRes or any other format that's better for editing..

That being said, I had the same problem as you 2 days ago and found out that after you record your MKV files in OBS; from the OBS screen, go to file -> Remux Recordings.

Select your mkv files and then process it there. It will instantly remux your MKV to .mp4 files which was a huge life saver for me since Adobe completely screwed over us paying customers and removed support of MKV files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MKV!!! MKV!!! Please!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MKV

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please, this functionality is useful for users of Open Broadcast Software

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere Pro 13.1.4 removes/ is missing .mkv support! I can no longer import .mkv files into Premiere. I had to revert back to 13.1.1 and then from there the highest version I can update to that supports .mkv is 13.0.3.

I cant even test 13.1 anymore because CC only allows to download 13.3 and higher

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At least add 13.1.2 back into Adobe Creative Cloud

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is 0 reason to take this out, another example of Adobe being absolutely hopeless to their customer base. Is there some genius from Adobe who can explain why they consistently want to further their **** reputation?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mkv files can contain more quality and files. For tribute editors like me, that's very important. We need mkv files. We NEED it. Adobe, add it to premiere. How hard is it??

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These days, arguing that there's "little or no demand" for Matroska container support is a more dubious statement than saying there's "no demand" for AVI, MPG or FLV (who actually uses the old Flash video container formats nowadays?)

Vegas (no longer owned by Sony) added Matroska container support recently, and Microsoft have been improving their playback support for the most common codecs and containers since 2015.

We are finally moving away from the plethora of vendor-specific codecs and containers that we struggled with for over two decades. Matroska has played a big part in that positive development. Furthermore, it is a future-proof container standard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please restore MKV, I have a substantial amount of videos that are in MKV format, I was never expecting that to be removed. Converting every video before editing it is a huge pain.

I had to download handbrake to convert a video before running it in Premier and Adobe Media Encoder, that is really annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe, is this really beneficial for your company to remove MKV support? I mean do you wan't loyal customers to stop using your software? Because i am seriously considering it or do you think you are so big and powerful that you can just spit in the face of your customers?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would appreciate the ability to import MKV's again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MKV wasn't harming anyone.

It was so useful for using clips from random sources in videos. Ridiculous to drop support for one of the most popular formats around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please, mkv support is critical for me. I'm wasting too much time remuxing files 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's actually ridiculous that this was removed... For Screen Captures on Windows, OBS is VERY popular and in order to capture 4 channels of audio and ALSO prevent losing your screen captures from OBS crashes, MKV is the only option. Everything worked fine before. Now I have to remux screen captueres as an extra step because Premiere pro (A professional video editing program) cannot import a pretty popular video file AND I can't even use ADOBE MEDIA ENCODER to convert the mkv file EVEN THOUGH media encoder is literally meant to encode media to different formats................ Literally makes no sense they would remove support of this.

Honestly, who makes these decisions within the Premiere Pro team? Whoever is in charge needs to realize that customers drive their business and they should be listening to the feedback they receive. MKV was fine before, why just remove it and inconvenience many of your paying customers?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This ruined so many project files I had been working on for over a year. Super depressing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why on earth did you removes Mkv ??
I read by chance... no update for me...

Votes

Translate

Translate