• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Restore MKV Format Support

LEGEND ,
Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Removing MKV Format support has a negative impact on the workflow of people that work with broadcasting software like OBS. Restore MKV support. Having native support for MKVs, even if they don't edit well without generating proxies, saves me a ton of time that I'd otherwise have to spend remuxing/transcoding files.
Idea Started
TOPICS
Import and ingest

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023
Hi all,

MKV support is actively being worked on. I don't have a release date to share currently but when that changes, I will update this message.

Regards,

Fergus

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 282 Replies 282
282 Comments
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, it's not just about .MKV : which codecs do you need support for ? Please send us your sample files ! We'll make it work with Influx Importer for Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects https://www.autokroma.com/Influx

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't believe this isn't in Premiere yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We still really need mkv support.
It's not about the codecs, really. We don't need any new codecs. Just allow importing mkv with all the codecs supported by Premiere as of today. H.264, H.265 - the most common ones.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bump

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a no brainer, please add it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I saw the new update came out today. Incredibly disappointed to see no support for MKV yet as well as no better color management options. Davinci Resolve is completely free and blows Premiere's color management out of the water. Adobe you have to fix this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Come on Adobe! You have a great share of editing softwares (we paid) and don't allow MKV... In what world do you live?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please add MKV support

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the love of God, Adobe, take some of your huge freaking profits and cover the licensing costs of incorporating this codec. Stop being cheap and make it happen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's being worked on! Wooo! We did it guys!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finally they working on it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amazing. Only took us four years of begging!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is great news!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome thank you Fergus for letting us know! Please keep us updated on progress. I will resubscribe to Adobe once mkv is restored.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, it only took three years from the first message on here to support "being investigated". (Let's not think about how MKV was already supported, and then removed, because...reasons.).

Now, shock of all shocks, we're seeing a UserVoice update in the blisteringly fast time of only eleven months?

This totally makes the monthly subscription worth it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's somewhere strange... We are not talking here about a new feature, but about bringing back a previous feature deliberately removed by Adobe, and we are all excited, almost ecstatic... Imagine if... No, don't... 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think half the requests in here are people just begging for features to return that were unceremoniously removed 4 years ago to, you know, improve user experience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had I known it was removed I would've waited to renew my subscription; unbelievable; what was wrong with leaving mkv unwrapping in the software suite? It's the best multimedia container format in my opinion; ffv1 in mkv has become the standard for archival houses and it's about **** time Adobe stops blocking it for no reason. BM DaVinci Resolve has no problem with mkv. It's open source FFS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is crazy, why do I need to download handbrake and .net environment to work with a bog standard video codec? Why am I paying so much for this software?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just realizing this today. A lot of software/screen recorder programs use mkv by default (looking at you, OBS). Looks like its being worked on but yeah, absolutely agree that mkv support should be a top priority... preferably above adding new features & UI tweaks.

EDIT/UPDATE: Okay apparently I'm a fool. For anyone else using OBS, it actually comes with its own remux tool to convert your MKVs to MP4s extremely quickly without quality loss.
File > Remux Recordings - then pick your source & destination.

Maybe a good way to remux even if your files weren't generated in OBS, but I haven't tested.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having plugins is one thing, and there are a number of convertors that can provide workarounds. But these all waste an inordinate amount of time and resources that having the format as native would help avert.

Even having it convert natively would prevent having to switch apps, which might allow Premiere/AE/etc. to remain open on lower-resource systems, and it would also at least give the idea that the time is more productively spent in a single app.

EDIT: Really, REALLY looking forward to this as a potential future feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure you're right. Another issue is that you might get .MKV support but not the specific audio or video codec you have in your .MKV, so you also need to open separate UserVoice request for each codec you need behind the MKV container

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe is being silly. I'm running Premiere CC 2022. It refuses a MKV file but if I merely change the file's extension, without (!) remuxing into a different container format, Premiere accepts it! I couldn't believe it.
The support for MKV is clearly there, they just don't want to admit it.
We're using codecs that Adobe has supported for over a decade. Codec support is not the issue here. Supporting this container is.

Votes

Translate

Translate