• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

STOP SWITCHING TO THE NEXT CLIP WHEN I'M TRYING TO MANIPULATE KEYFRAMES

LEGEND ,
Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is super annoying. I create a keyframe, let's say a motion keyframe. Set it to 50. Then create another one, set it to 100 and put it at the end of the clip. Then I scroll to the second keyframe and suddenly, Premiere has switched me to the next clip in the timeline for some reason. This is so annoying. Even moreso when I'm using my mouse to move the scrubber around, sometimes it juts me all the way to the end of the timeline. I can't imagine a scenario where I would want this behavior.
Idea Under review
TOPICS
Effects

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
65 Comments
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If Premiere is selecting clips while you scrubbing is because the option "Selection Follows Playhead" is activate. You can turn that off by clicking Sequence, Selectiong Follows Playhead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another solve for this is to uncheck Pin to Clip in the Effects Controls hamburger (three lines, panel) menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like you're putting the keyframe at the end of the clip instead of on the LAST FRAME of the clip, which is one frame back from the end of the clip itself. I do this a lot myself. When you just drag the keyframe to the end of the clip, it's putting it on the same frame as where the splice is, which is why it's showing the next clip, because that's the first frame of the next clip. Back your playhead up one frame, then move the keyframe to that frame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To add to this, there should be some padding around the clip boundaries in the keyframe window. So that we can clearly see where the end of the clip is, and where the last frame is. Just a small visual change but a big difference in usability.

To address moving to the next clip, just make it so that the playhead in the keyframe window will NEVER trigger selection of another clip, regardless of whether "Selection Follows Playhead" is enabled or disabled. Or, that it will not do so when the effect controls panel is active.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with @Andrew about needing padding.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fully agree! To add to this idea, the up and down arrow keys should also allow users to jump between the first and last frames in the EC window. Those keys work to jump to the first/last frame of a clip in the Timeline, so why not in the EC window? Using CTRL-Left/Right Arrow works for this, but the up/down arrows should as well, for convenience and simplicity's sake.

Furthermore, when jumping to the last frame of the clip (using CTRL-Right arrow), the Program Monitor should show the LAST FRAME of the clip that's CURRENTLY LOADED in the EC window, NOT jump to the next clip (or show a black frame if there is no other clip next to it). This is excruciatingly annoying and extremely bad program design.

Come on guys, PLEASE fix this once and for all! When jumping to clip's last frame in the EC window, there are precisely ZERO instances when an editor would ever want the next clip shown instead!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, this is incredibly frustrating.

- Jonah Lee Walker
Video Editor, Colorist, Motion Graphics Artist

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys, I know that the default behavior is annoying but there are some good workarounds for what you're going through.

1. To get more "padding" and see more to the left and right of the clip you're working on, right click the Effects Controls tab and uncheck Pin to Clip at the bottom of the drop down. This will let you zoom out the Effects Controls timeline to see the extra space you're talking about using the keyboard shortcuts you have for zooming in the main timeline. You only have to do this once per edit session and the window will behave this way for all clips, but yes, this ought to be the default behavior.

2. When jumping to the end of the clip with a keyboard shortcut, remember you're actually asking Premiere to jump the EDIT POINT, not the last frame of the clip, as Andrew pointed out. The Edit Point is the first frame of the next clip, so the app is doing what it's supposed to do.

Surely you have a keyboard shortcut to "Step back one frame." By default it's Left Arrow. So two quick shortcuts in a row: jump to edit point, playhead one frame left. I do it all the time by habit now. And remember you can change your keyboard shorts if you'd rather use different arrow keys.

I don't work for Adobe or anything, just an editor like you guys trying to solve the problems we can solve on our own and get back to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Already doing what you suggest Matt, yet it's still annoying as ****. Adobe should just fix this easy to fix thing and be done with it once and for all! And I disagree with your point that "the app is doing what it's supposed to do." What PP is "supposed to do" is work in a logical way that us paying editors need it to, not in poorly though out ways that Adobe programmers who never even use their own program imagine it should work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@pierre Louis Beranek: Amen to that. That's exactly right. Software should do what us paying users demand of it and not what a few people one day decided was a good idea. At the end of the day software should work for the end-users and not the other way around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Completely agree! +1 to padding

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh my god this, one million times this! I wonder if anyone at Adobe actually edits with their software sometimes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is incredibly annoying and unclear why this would be a behavior, unless it is a bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What we really need is an automatic Ken Burns effect in Premiere. If you’re like me, you spend a lot of time applying a small scale increase (zoom) to photos. Often times the scale isn’t set properly at the beginning so you see black bars. A “Ken Burns effect” would scale to fit the photo in the whole frame, then apply a small scale up effect. Saving tons of time for anyone who needs to work with stills in the timeline (or even video shots).

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Anonymous: Please raise a separate ticket.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Been bugging me for years. Have complained in the past in reports. I don't think the designers work with Premiere day-today or they would have come across this a trillion times over the years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just adding my agreement, and wondering if this behavior is a bug, or if they thought this was something someone wanted? I don't understand in what way this would be useful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My god! this is my life lol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This sounds like you have Selection Follows Playhead enabled.You can turn it off by going to Sequence in the top bar menu. Let me know if that helped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Fran Roig,

That info does NOT help because...

While it does solve the problem, many users, myself included, want 'Selection Follows Playhead' enabled, since it makes it so much easier to colour correct clips in the timeline, among other reasons.

So are we expected then to turn off 'Selection Follows Playhead' every... single... time... we want to use the Effects Control Window (ECW) and have it behave properly?!!!

Adobe forcing use to constantly turn 'Selection Follows Playhead' on/off is NOT a reasonable work around by any measure! The only reasonable thing for Adobe to do is fix this PITA mistakes once and for all. Period.

Sorry for my brutal honesty, but the very fact that such a lame work around as yours is made in the first place only goes to further our impression that Adobe programmers clueless since they do not even use their own software on a daily basis. If they did, issues like this one would have been fixed ages ago!

Now please pass this message on to the head of the PP team. THAT would be helpful!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, I see. This can happen when clips are directly next to each other on the same layer, and "selection follows playhead" is on. It does NOT even require that you use the DOWN key to go to the next edit point. It will happen even if you are just moving the playhead within the Effect Controls panel
Yes, that is annoying. I've never encountered it, probably because I barely use "selection follows playhead" feature.

One issue with the way that Premiere handles the Effect Controls panel, is that it allows you to place a keyframe one frame BEYOND the actual end of the clip (this is when "pin to clip" is on.) This, to me, seems like a really bad idea, or just an oversight.

I believe that fixing it should solve this, and several other issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the feedback and followup. The team is listening and we will take this under consideration.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes--scrubbing within the effect editor should never pop you into the adjacent clip. It's maddening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems like this has been fixed in the newest version. Hallelujah!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YES, PLEASE

Votes

Translate

Translate