Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text appears without caron's while copied to Premiere Pro

Community Beginner ,
May 04, 2021 May 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! I have ran into a problem.
First of all I want to say that I have used this method before and never had any problems.

While creating subtitles for a video, I copy text from .doc(the same thing happens while copying from anywhere else) and paste it into text layer inside Premiere Pro. Never had any issues, but today I stumbled upon one. The copied text appears without "caron" on top.(for letters ā, ū, ž etc.). At first I thought it's a problem while copying, but later I realised that the Text layer actually contains the whole text with all the "caron's" on top, it just displays it without.(It can be manually added with no problem).

JayLay_0-1620124782057.pngJayLay_1-1620124802365.png

As you can see, U and A appears without sign at the top. (Ū and Ā)
Tried different fonts, different projects, restarting, reseting layouts and so on.
Anyone have a solution?
Rechanging every letter manually takes a lot of hours and is not a long term solution. As I said before, it was working fine just last week. Could the new update be the problem(updated 5 days ago)?

Thanks!

TOPICS
Editing , Effects and Titles , Error or problem , Formats , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , May 05, 2021 May 05, 2021

Guys, I found the problem.
It's not with the system or any Adobe products, but with the text itself.
Copying text doesn't make any difference(tried posting in WhatsApp and then friend copied it back to me, same thing), have to rewrite it anyway.

Try copying these texts into Premiere or AE -

Nolaidība un nekompetence ir teju vai noziedzīga.
Nolaidība un nekompetence ir teju vai noziedzīga..

The one with double ".." has been written by me, the one with one dot in the end is copied from the sent docume

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running 15.1. I assume that is the version you are running. (I first did the same tests in Beta 15.2.0.26 by mistake; same results.)

I copied/pasted  the bit of text you included -  "letters ā, ū, ž etc." It appears the same, with the sign at top, in the Text Panel, the Edit section of the Essential Graphics panel, and in the Program Monitor. It worked for both 608 closed captions and Subtitles, and for at least Arial and Comic Sans. I also put it in a Word document, and copy/pasted from there.

I like your troubleshooting: reset workspace, different fonts, copy methods, etc. There are other reports where there is a difference between the Text Panel and Program Monitor/EGP. For example, wingdings in the Text Panel.

I also tested both text engine settings in the caption track settings.

@Trent Happel Any reports of this?

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not aware of any reports like this, but I will ask around the team.

FWIW, I also tried a sampling of text with carons and they appeared correctly for me in the Essential Graphics panel, Program Monitor and Text panel (this was with latest Premiere Pro 15.1 and 15.3 Beta 013 on Windows 10, copying text from Word and Notepad. Verified Minion Pro and ArialArial, Comic Sans, Calibri, Adobe Clean, Garamond, Times New Roman and Minion Pro )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 05, 2021 May 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the answer!
I'm running 15.1. and I assume that that is the problem as I did subtitles for video last week while it was still previous vesion.

I will try reinstalling Premiere Pro, will keep you updated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reinstalled Premiere Pro, the problem still persists.

Tried pasting text in After Effects and the problem is also there. Only it appears with extra space after the letters with carons, yet, in Timeline it shows up correctly.

JayLay_0-1620207450208.png

JayLay_1-1620207475846.png

Could anyone help me understand why this is happening all of suddenly? Haven't made any changes to my system either, technical or program wise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you let us know which font you are using? Some fonts don't support caron glyphs, so curious if maybe when you updated Premiere pro and pasted, it was a different font than what you used last week?

Stan and I did verify Arial, Comic Sans, Calibri, Adobe Clean, Garamond, Times New Roman and Minion Pro displayed carons.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the answer!
I tested different fonts. For this video(it's part of a series, carons did appear in previous ones) I used Gillroy-regular, but I have tried different ones, Times New Roman, Open sans, Roboto, etc. Always same result.
For creating subtitles I'm using just text layers placed in right place and time. Tried captions as well, same result - in Program Monitor it apears without carons, in Text panel with carons.
Also, as I said before - I can manually add carons to the text, so it appears right in Program monitor, so font is not an issue here, but the issue is with Program monitor, as the text appear right(with carons while copied from .doc) in any of the Text panels.
I will finish this video by adding carons manually, but it's not the solution for the future as it takes up a lot of extra time and possible spelling errors or missed carons.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guys, I found the problem.
It's not with the system or any Adobe products, but with the text itself.
Copying text doesn't make any difference(tried posting in WhatsApp and then friend copied it back to me, same thing), have to rewrite it anyway.

Try copying these texts into Premiere or AE -

Nolaidība un nekompetence ir teju vai noziedzīga.
Nolaidība un nekompetence ir teju vai noziedzīga..

The one with double ".." has been written by me, the one with one dot in the end is copied from the sent document.

Thank you all!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I get your result when copying from here and pasting into PR captions. Fascinating!

The "bad" character appears to be a unicode issue and the use of nonspacing marks. The character is actually two elements. The first part is the letter "i", the second adds the accent. I don't understand it, but I think that is what it is. Paste into a text editor, and advance step by step with the arrow key. You can see that it takes two arrow presses to go over the problem character.

It appears to be a unicode 772, so I looked it up. Here's a related page:

https://www.compart.com/en/unicode/U+0304

The "good" character is ascii 299 instead of plain "i" 105.

I suspect there's a convertor that can "fix" the file you're working from.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply!
Already did all the rewriting, so it's done.

All this experience will be a big help in the future understanding characters and the encoding.

Cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An education for me too!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you JayLay for all the added information and than you Stan for the awesome detective work! I have passed this issue on to the team for investigation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 12, 2021 May 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone -

This is the result of which text engine you choose for the captions or graphics. You need to choose the "South Asian and Middle Eastern" text engine (which is the newer and more advanced engine) then you will get carons for both unicodes.

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a screenshot showing this:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the older engine, you see the result you had:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Our developers have looked into this and noted that you need to set the Text Engine to South Asian and Middle Eastern and then paste the text, to see the carons in all lines of text. This can be set in Track Settings for Captions. For newly created Graphics Text layers, go to Preferences > Graphics. For existing Graphics Text layers, you can go to the Essential Graphics panel and click the wrench icon next to Text font to open Text Properties.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines