• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RH 2020 - Linking word documents creates extra folders

Community Beginner ,
Aug 23, 2021 Aug 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to link Word documents to my RoboHelp project - so if I update the Word document, my RH project can be updated accordingly. 
I tried to link a folder on my computer. This folder included some subfolders and Word documents. I linked the documents by right-clicking in the content panel > Link > Link Folder.
This worked. Then, I clicked on one of my Linked Word Documents and selected 'Create/Update Topics'.

defaultsts4nl2whz5s_2-1629714688905.png

By doing so, the RH Topic was created. But this also created a new folder, with the same name as my Topic & Linked Word Document. 
defaultsts4nl2whz5s_0-1629714485146.png

If I now go to my TOC, I have Folder called 'Banff Mountains' and a Topic called 'Banff Mountains'.

defaultsts4nl2whz5s_1-1629714594430.png

Is there a way that I can create linked Topics without extra folders being created?

Thanks in advance. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 23, 2021 Aug 23, 2021

When answering questions on the forum it's nice to be able to recognise who is asking. Your username doesn't help but you can change it in your profile. It doesn't have to be your real name, just something recognisable. Your choice.

The folder is created to hold all the supporting files, the CSS, images etc and keep them self-contained. It makes deleting the linked topic easier if required. There is no way to configure it differently.

If you drag just the topic created from the Contents pane

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When answering questions on the forum it's nice to be able to recognise who is asking. Your username doesn't help but you can change it in your profile. It doesn't have to be your real name, just something recognisable. Your choice.

The folder is created to hold all the supporting files, the CSS, images etc and keep them self-contained. It makes deleting the linked topic easier if required. There is no way to configure it differently.

If you drag just the topic created from the Contents panel all you should see is the topic. I just checked that. Maybe you dragged the folder? Delete what you see in the TOC and then just drag the topic.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Assuming you didn't drag and drop, the folder and topics will have been added by your Word Link Settings (right-click on a doc and select Edit Settings).  It doesn't look like there's a way to exclude the folder, although I'm not sure what "Map Word styles to TOC hierarchy" is supposed to do - it doesn't seem to do anything in my test project, but maybe that's something wrong with my setup.

I think at the moment you can either live with the folder being added automatically, or turn off the "Add generated topics to Table of Contents" setting and manually add your topics to the toc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 24, 2021 Aug 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks @Peter Grainge and @Amebr , much appreciated! I decided to manually update the TOC which works well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp