• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I upload stills from videos as photos to the Adobe Stock for sale?

Community Beginner ,
Jun 05, 2024 Jun 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! I'm interested in the following question. Can I upload stills from a video as photos to Adobe Stock for sale?

What I mean is this. For example, I make a video to upload to a stock site. From this video I take a few frames and post these frames as photos separately from the uploaded video.

I have seen information in some sources that this is allowed. The Adobe Stotsk rules do not directly explain this situation. I haven't found a way to contact support to clarify this issue. That's why I created this topic here. I would appreciate your help and clarification.

TOPICS
Contributors

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think that would be ok if the video is yours and the quality of the still is good enough.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes that's okay, subject to meeting the quality requirements for that still. I often find that any stills from a video are just too blurry...

Jill C., Forum Volunteer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's always a risk that it will get flagged as duplicate content. 

It would probably be best to take still shots in addition to your video (2 cameras). That way, your image quality will be better and hopefully distinguishable from the video content.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 06, 2024 Jun 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your stills represent unique content, then they are acceptable. If they are part of the video as published, I would not do that.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the difference between a frame from a video and a frame taken as a photo during a session in the same location?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Video and photography are two different pairs of shoes. From a quality perspective, photographies are sharper and have a higher resolution. The sharpness comes from the fact that your subject is moving in the video, as for the photo the subject ideally stands still. If you plan to use photos from your shoot, take photographs before after or between takes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no such prohibition in the Adobe Stock rules. That's why I decided to ask here. It is strange that expert opinions are divided.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no such prohibition in the Adobe Stock rules. That's why I decided to ask here. It is strange that expert opinions are divided.

By @Sergei2936731302f8

Because there are no prohibition in the rules, opinions are divided. But I can embrace all of them, as all of them are correct.

Two things to consider:

• Video and photos are distinct media, and it exists a very low probability that a user licensing your video will also licence your pictures extracted from that video. 
  • If your video contains some iconic images, and you extract those iconic images, it may be considered as a duplicate.

If we are talking about probability: chances are that the video pictures get more often refused for quality issues than anything else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no such prohibition in the Adobe Stock rules.

By @Sergei2936731302f8

=========

Just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you SHOULD.

Your goal as a contributor is to submit highest quality content that's suitable for commercial use.

Different media have different standards and uses.

• Photos must look good on printed products -- paper, posters, billboards, magazines, t-shirts, tote bags, coffee mugs, etc...
  • Videos are for digital use -- movies, TV, games, social media...

Make sense?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 07, 2024 Jun 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photos are needed in different sizes and are not always used for large posters. Very often, photographies are needed to illustrate an article on a website. It needs a very small size. Therefore, I planned to make sets of individual frames, several photographs collected in one file. For example, there is a video of a person working at a computer. He looks through the papers. Then he looks at the monitor and types something on the keyboard. Then he got tired and rubbed his eyes and looked at his watch. And then someone writes an article about working in an office. He doesn't need a video at all. But he would happily buy a set of small photographs of a person working in an office to illustrate his article.
I myself have several websites on different topics, and the images I use to illustrate publications do not exceed 700-800 pixels in width.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Each of these images you describe must be uploaded individually, not all in one file. If a Buyer finds one when searching, other similar images from your portfolio will be automatically suggested. If the Buyer selects multiple images, you'll earn a royalty for each.

Jill C., Forum Volunteer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you upload each image separately, it will be a bunch of similar images for which account can be blocked. And if they are all in one file, it will be an excellent set that is suitable for illustrating publications on a specific topic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 08, 2024 Jun 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you upload each image separately, it will be a bunch of similar images for which account can be blocked.

By @Sergei2936731302f8

Correct.

And if they are all in one file, it will be an excellent set that is suitable for illustrating publications on a specific topic.

By @Sergei2936731302f8

That's called a video!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photos are needed in different sizes and are not always used for large posters.

By @Sergei2936731302f8

===========

Customers can crop & resize images to the required size and aspect ratio after purchase. Your job is to provide them with a large, high quality original to work with.

Don't over think this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 08, 2024 Jun 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photos are needed in different sizes and are not always used for large posters. Very often, photographies are needed to illustrate an article on a website. It needs a very small size.

By @Sergei2936731302f8

You do not know the use of your assets.

Therefore, I planned to make sets of individual frames, several photographs collected in one file. For example, there is a video of a person working at a computer. He looks through the papers. Then he looks at the monitor and types something on the keyboard.

By @Sergei2936731302f8

Nicely thought, but that does not work IMHO. You may try it with one image, before you create countless assets of this type.

I myself have several websites on different topics, and the images I use to illustrate publications do not exceed 700-800 pixels in width.

By @Sergei2936731302f8

That's OK for a website, but not for a billboard size use. You do not know the user intends to put in use with your asset. So it is required that it meets the minimal requirements as laid out. And 4 Mp for an image is very low for today's uses.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines