• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Where do I find the license details of an Adobe Stock photo or illustration BEFORE purchasing them?

Engaged ,
Jun 18, 2018 Jun 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It says on your License Terms page that you can view the license associated with your chosen image on the image preview page (screen grab of your website page shown in Pic 1). However, I only see the option to Buy License & Save to My Library (screen grab of what I see, shown in Pic 2).

Can you only see the licence terms once you have purchased the image?

Thanks, any help muchly appreciated.

Adobe Stock License.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-06-18 at 12.14.50.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 25, 2018 Jun 25, 2018

Good day Cat,

Sorry for a delay in response.

Either one(client or you) should license the asset for the same artwork/ work you are creating. Only if you want to use the same asset for different clients, the asset must be licensed separately for each client use. 

As per your 2nd question,  yes your client can share the downloaded images with you even if he has downloaded it under his name.

Please Note: In case of transfer of a license, please see https://wwwimages2.adobe.com/content/dam/acom/en/legal/servicetou/Adobe_Stock_Additional_Terms_en_US_20180605_2200.pdf

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can see the license terms here: License information and Terms of use | Adobe Stock

it would help to post the link to the picture to check what you see. It seams like you are looking for premium pictures.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Abambo, thanks but that is the license terms page I was looking at and refer to in my question above. I'd like to see the detailed license agreement that is relevant to a specific photo of illustration that I might choose.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All entries come with the same variant of license suitable for a case enumerated with the link.

STANDARD LICENSE

Most Adobe Stock assets come with a standard license.

ENHANCED LICENSE

Enhanced licenses are available for Adobe Stock Premium collection images, videos, templates, editorial and 3D assets.

EXTENDED LICENSE

Extended licenses may be purchased for standard images if a Standard license is not suitable for your needs.

EDITORIAL RESTRICTIONS

Assets labeled "Editorial Use Only" are for use in news and events-related articles, blogs, film and broadcasts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, how do I know if I am selecting a Standard License, an Enhanced License or an Extended License? Do those options come up once you've clicked Buy License & Save to My Library (as per my screen grab of what I see, shown in Pic 2).

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Post the link to the image, so that I can check...

For this image (Stock photos, royalty-free images, graphics, vectors & videos | Adobe Stock ) you have standard and extended license.

Your's probably an ENHANCED LICENSE!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can I tell for myself, I may need to download quite a few images and don't want to be asking someone else to check what license each photo is?

"Your's probably an ENHANCED LICENSE!" Sorry, I don't understand what you mean by this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Post the link to the image! You's probably premium, but as I do not find the image, I can not confirm. 

ENHANCED LICENSE is for Premium images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Cat,

The image you have posted above is a Premium image. All premium images come under Enhanced license.

If you are trying to license a different image/ asset, you can view the license type associated with your chosen image on the image preview page as shown in the screenshot below:

Let me know if I have misunderstood your question.

Regards,

Twarita

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 19, 2018 Jun 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Twarita and Abambo,

Thanks both for your help. I have only just noticed also that I can select the price option on the left of the page to narrow down my search to just one price option. I totally missed this yesterday.

I just have one other license question, if my client (a company employee) has already downloaded the free 10 images that you offer at the moment and I am creating artwork for that client/company, am I allowed to use some or all of the 10 images in the artwork that I am creating for him/the company he works for?

Many thanks for help on this.

Image price.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MissSparkles75  wrote

Hi Twarita and Abambo,

I just have one other license question, if my client (a company employee) has already downloaded the free 10 images that you offer at the moment and I am creating artwork for that client/company, am I allowed to use some or all of the 10 images in the artwork that I am creating for him/the company he works for?

Licensing may be quite complex. It depends on the license type and what they have made up to now with that licensed artwork.

But generally speaking:

You may create artwork based on the image your client licensed, especially if he licensed the artwork for that project. Otherwise it would be impossible to use artwork licensed. You may, however, not use the same image for a different client, as the licensee is your client and your client is only allowed to use the image for his artwork.

You need also being aware that there are effectively different types of licenses. You need to know under which conditions the artwork license was acquired. As stock images are quite inexpensive, except for the premium images, and to avoid ambiguity of licensing terms, we ask related companies to acquire a license on their own, when they wanted to use a specific image we acquired and used before for our projects. Asking our legal people is more expensive...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.

So, two questions come to mind, are you saying that to be on the safe side both my client and myself should purchase the same photo (once we know which license needs purchasing)? That means my client will have to pay for the image twice as I will have to cover the costs of the license purchase when I invoice them for my work?

Also, I will not know what the client has used the photograph(s) for up until this point but are you saying that one standard photo license purchased means it can only be used for one project? For example, let's say it has been used in a leaflet for that company and they want to use it on some further marketing collateral, they will not be allowed to, they would have to purchase a license for each item it is included in?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cat,

No, we meant that either one should license the asset for the same artwork/ work you are creating.

As per your 2nd question, you are allowed to use the same asset for more than one project. However, please note that only if you want to use the same asset for different clients, the asset must be licensed separately for each client use.

Feel free to update this thread in case of any additional questions.

Regards,

Twarita

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 24, 2018 Jun 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Twarita,

Can you confirm that my client can share with me the raw images they have downloaded so that I can create their artwork or do I have to pay and download them again? I need a member of the Adobe staff to confirm this please.

If my client has downloaded the images under his name and not the company’s name is this a problem for sharing them with me or using them to create artwork for the company?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 25, 2018 Jun 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it starts getting complicated. Let’s look at it from a logical point of view.

The whole stocks stuff is made for someone having a job to do but does not want investing in taking the specific picture. So you buy a picture, modify it accordingly to your requirements and send the finished artwork to your client so he can use it according to his needs.

It doesn’t matter who acquired the stock image it matters that it was acquired rightful. As long as all the usage rights according to Adobe stocks are transfered to the final customer, it’s OK.

In your specific case, a third party acquired the picture license, who by chance is employed by your customer. You will never be a licensee of the picture (technically you will be a sublicensee for the time your working on the picture but that is splitting hair). You get a picture, you modify it an you send the modifications back. Except if you start using the same picture for a different project, you are fine. It is necessary that you get access to the picture. Without that the whole stock image business would make no sense.

Now to the employee: It would have been better to acquire the image using a company account. But even so, I do not see a problem if the employee did not use this way because the company has used his 10 free pictures and want to profit from more. (You have 20 employees, you would get 200 free pictures, that cannot be...moraly and legaly). Any way, the employee is responsible for the rightful use of the image license as legally he made the contract with Adobe stocks.

That’s the reason why I use for private matters my private id and for company matters my company id.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Twarita,

Can you confirm that my client can share with me the raw images they have downloaded so that I can create their artwork or do I have to pay and download them again? I need a member of the Adobe staff to confirm this please.

If my client has downloaded the images under his name and not the company’s name is this a problem for sharing them with me or using them to create artwork for the company?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good day Cat,

Sorry for a delay in response.

Either one(client or you) should license the asset for the same artwork/ work you are creating. Only if you want to use the same asset for different clients, the asset must be licensed separately for each client use. 

As per your 2nd question,  yes your client can share the downloaded images with you even if he has downloaded it under his name.

Please Note: In case of transfer of a license, please see https://wwwimages2.adobe.com/content/dam/acom/en/legal/servicetou/Adobe_Stock_Additional_Terms_en_US...

(Section 3.4 a)

Let me know if you have any additional questions around the licensing terms.

Regards,

Twarita

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 29, 2018 Jun 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Twarita,

Thanks so much for your reply, that is crystal clear, really appreciate your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 29, 2018 Jun 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You are welcome!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MissSparkles75  wrote

Thanks.

So, two questions come to mind, are you saying that to be on the safe side both my client and myself should purchase the same photo (once we know which license needs purchasing)? That means my client will have to pay for the image twice as I will have to cover the costs of the license purchase when I invoice them for my work?

This would not be logical. When you are doing a project for a client you will need to have a license for the stock images you use. Either the customer or you acquire the rights. As it is perpetual (and as long as you stay in the limits of the conditions for the license type), you are allowed to use the image for any artwork your customer asks for. As you need to transfer the usage rights you may have acquired to your customer, so that the customer can use the stock image (modified or not) for his use (flyer, advert, banner) you cannot use those stock assets for a new project with a new customer. I doubt this is a real limitation. One customer may be a hospital, a second one may be a school, a third one a bicycle manufacturer. It would be quite strange to find on every one of your work the same assets.

Also, I will not know what the client has used the photograph(s) for up until this point but are you saying that one standard photo license purchased means it can only be used for one project? For example, let's say it has been used in a leaflet for that company and they want to use it on some further marketing collateral, they will not be allowed to, they would have to purchase a license for each item it is included in?

Well if the client has acquired the license it is the clients job to keep track of the usage he did so far. If he asks you to do a packaging and you know that the license is not the correct one, it is your duty to point that out. But if the customer tells you he has acquired the right license, it's his responsibility to have so. This is, however, not the standard way it works. Normally you acquire the license on behalf of your customer so it's your duty to acquire the correct license type. If you are doing a flyer, a web site and a roll-up, you use the same data.

As stock images are quite inexpensive, except for the premium images, and to avoid ambiguity of licensing terms, we ask related companies to acquire a license on their own

For us, this is simply a matter of convenience. When we do a project and we work 100 man-hours on that the 10€ for licensing the image do not matter anymore. If we would hire an artist who costs hundreds and thousands of € for his work, we would treat that differently. The good thing (hopefully) for the artist is that hundreds of customers share his work for different projects. Geographically and business wise I personally do not suppose to sell a picture twice for the same use.

Stock is meant to ease creation not to make it more difficult. My leitmotiv is not to create something I can buy in stock. Use it to create art on your own.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 21, 2018 Jun 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I was not intending to use the same image for different clients, just the one image for the same client but maybe across a few different marketing collateral. For example, let's say a flyer, an annual report and a postcard.

My client had purchased the 10 images well before I was involved in this project so there was not an option for me to purchase the said images on their behalf. I am just wanting to make sure that I can use those images if it is artwork for them (and if it falls under the correct license).

I'm sure that my client knows, but I will indeed inform them of what you have said so that they can make sure they have the right license for their usage.

If, now I am involved with this project, I want to purchase Adobe Stock photos on my clients behalf to use in artwork I am doing for them, is there any way I can put the license in their name so that you know they were purchased by my client but used by me in artwork I generated for them?

Also, once I have finished my artwork for them, can I send them the purchased photos to use on further collateral seeing it is them that has purchased the license(s) if I send them the information on the type of license I have purchased so they know the restrictions?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 21, 2018 Jun 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Twarita, that makes total sense and that is how I thought it worked but I got a bit confused by Abambo's response.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Buy Adobe Stock
Getting Started