• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Expression property name update bug

Contributor ,
Apr 29, 2024 Apr 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the attached image 'before.png' you can see a shape layer rigged with one simple expression with an IF statement that outputs either `

thisLayer.content ("Shape 2").content("Path 1").path` or `thisLayer.content ("Shape 1").content("Path 1").path`depending on the state of a checkbox. If the name of the referenced Path that is currently evaluated by the if statement is changed by the user, the name of both Paths is updated in the expression, which is incorrect - since the non-evaluated one is inside a different group with a different group name. See the `after.png` for the resulting expression.

Bug Investigating
TOPICS
Expressions

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Apr 29, 2024 Apr 29, 2024

Hi @SteveKirby,

Thank you very much for reporting this issue. We are able to reproduce it as well with the description/screenshots you shared. A ticket is now filed for this behavior and a fix will be investigated for inclusion in a future version of After Effects.

Thanks again,

- John, After Effects Engineering Team 

Status Investigating

Votes

Translate

Translate
4 Comments
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If a user changes the name of a property referred to in an expression, the expression will automatically update to prevent errors and keep the expressions working. What is going on in your project? I get no errors when I recreate your screenshots and change names. Your screenshots do not show any errors. When using a Checkbox Control, I always use if (the property = 0) in an expression instead of if(the property == true) because it is easier for me to see what the switch is doing.

What do you see that is a problem? What is the error message? 

In the future, if you drag your screenshots into the reply field instead of the "Drag & drop here..." we can see them in your post instead of taking the time to download them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @SteveKirby,

Thank you very much for reporting this issue. We are able to reproduce it as well with the description/screenshots you shared. A ticket is now filed for this behavior and a fix will be investigated for inclusion in a future version of After Effects.

Thanks again,

- John, After Effects Engineering Team 

Status Investigating

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rick Gerard The issue isn't an error per se, but that both expression references are being updated when only one should be. The if/else statement is actually hiding the error in the case shown in the image.

Regarding the screenshots, I could see them as an overlay without downloading them just by clicking the attachments' names.

Cheers,

- John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

John, seeing images in the post instead of clicking on the link saves a lot of time. A simple copy-and-paste or drag-and-drop to the reply field accomplishes that.

The HTML and Scripts work together on other forums I frequent, so you can always see images in the post instead of clicking on a link. This is a much more efficient way of working, especially when you block out only a short amount of time to contribute to forums. I've submitted a feature request for a change in the way the forum works, but it has not received any action yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate