• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Plugin Errors after upgrading to After Effects 24.5

Participant ,
Jul 23, 2024 Jul 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got upgraded to 24.5. Can anyone confirm if any plug ins have stopped working for them?

I'm getting an error using the Red Giant 11.1.9 Keying Suite plugins (Edge Blur, Light Wrap, etc.) saying that they can not be applied to a layer.

EdgeBlurError.pngEdgeBlurCannotBeInitialized.png

Downgraded to 24.1 and got the following error on startup.

Reinstall.png

Now, I like VFX Suite and all, but I know that Red Giant isn't gonna do anything to support these old plugs.

Anyone else had any issues?

Bug Investigating
TOPICS
Workflow

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Aug 05, 2024 Aug 05, 2024

Hello @m1jackson,

Sorry you are experiencing this issue. This is my first time trying to move a message and its thread to a new post. I moved this to our bugs forum to help address your issue. I am unsure how to change the title of this post to reflect the issue, but at least it is in the right place now.

If you are still experiencing this issue, could you please try reinstalling your plugins?

All the best,
Jessica
AE Engineering

Status Investigating

Votes

Translate

Translate
6 Comments
Participant ,
Jul 31, 2024 Jul 31, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

welcome to mandatory updates and no old versions allowed. What's a third party? leeches, that's who! the only ones to profit should be adobe, because when they bought out their competitors to get the base for their programs, they paid a whole few million, and buying things then letting them fall apart from lack of maintainence while people try to use them is hard work for those like 20 devs that are surely paid a generous portion of the 14 billion in revenue Adobe gets yearly. Gee whiz, is subscription a good business model- you can even get complacent and make money and nothing like new hardware or modern standards will ever replace you or render your software borderline useless.

Trust me, I still use CS6 because that was the golden age of Adobe, and all the old plugins still work and it's great. which is good because I'm working on getting all my AE stuff out of my reel, or migrating it over to Nuke. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jul 31, 2024 Jul 31, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This doesn't address my very singular issue. Have you had this issue or not? If not, all you're doing is grousing and that doesn't help. If you want to go to Nuke, that's your perogative, but it doesn't help address the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Aug 01, 2024 Aug 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I mean, this isn't a bug report thread, for one...
but if you get that from trying to start up a project that you opened, even briefly, in a newer version, but you can start a new project in the new version and use the plugin normally there, there could have been changes applied to the project's internal format by AE's version checker and "mediator" which would corrupt it if you roll back, as previous versions have no concept of new versions, and AE unlike blender or similar, will throw errors instead of telling you "hey bud, we had to delete these unknown data blocks that are from a newer version". This is part of my gripe- and the likely issue you're having- file corruption due to opening in newer or older versions, is why larger production teams avoid adobe despite its excellent workflow and team tools- lack of acceptable version control tools and lack of acceptible legal terms for support on old versions. TL;DR- most likely it's not a bug, it's a feature, or intended lack thereof.

In the case that you can still open it in the new version, and at least view the affects that can't be applied in the panel;
you might be able to write them down, and copy the keyframe data to another software or window of AE. After that you delete the offending effects, then "reassemble" it in the old version.
(In the case that the plugin simply does not work in the new version, or the bug really broke things, you may need to uninstall the plugins, then reinstall after opening the "cleaned" project in the older version once.)

and remember- there's a reason it's industry standard not to change versions mid-production! butter side down. every time. at least open a marked new version duplicate instead of your working copy in the new version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Aug 05, 2024 Aug 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @m1jackson,

Sorry you are experiencing this issue. This is my first time trying to move a message and its thread to a new post. I moved this to our bugs forum to help address your issue. I am unsure how to change the title of this post to reflect the issue, but at least it is in the right place now.

If you are still experiencing this issue, could you please try reinstalling your plugins?

All the best,
Jessica
AE Engineering

Status Investigating

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did already remove and reinstall the plug ins to,unfortunately, no avail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello @m1jackson 

What version of AE were you running previously that worked with these plugins and was it on this same system? Did you change other things about the system, like updating your OS?

It could be that something AE installed before with our application, or the OS installed, like a windows runtime component, isn't installed anymore if AE or the OS itself doesn't need it. It might need to be installed independently now or bundled with the plugins that needed them. An example of a component like this, is the Visual Studio Runtime.

You could try reaching out to Red Giant, as they might already know if there is a specific component that needs to be installed, and/or you could try installing older additional Visual Studio Runtimes, though that may not solve your problem. 

All the best,
Jessica 
AE Engineering

Votes

Translate

Translate