Exit

Interface is Slow and Laggy

Contributor ,
Sep 28, 2022 Sep 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Adobe,

Me again.

Please stop everything that you're doing with the development of new bells and whistles and doodads and put all your resources and firepower into resolving the years-old issue of the Slow and Laggy Interface in After Effects. Seriously. It's been YEARS. I kept thinking, "ah, they'll fix it soon.." and hope for the best and I end up feeling like Charlie Brown trying to kick the football every time a new update for After Effects comes out. "Maybe they fixed it!" And it's still not fixed.

When I contact Support I'm told, "the issue that you are facing is a known issue and the same has been highlighted to the designated team who are working on getting the issue fixed in the future releases," but it has yet to be fixed.

Old After Effects was FASTER on OLDER laptops - I have been on modern workstation-build DESKTOPS that are slower in response. Makes me not want to work in After Effects. I feel bad for those starting out in motion graphics in 2020 and this is what they are introduced to.

SpaceX put two astronauts on the space station. Surely we can get a butter smooth interface in After Effects.

Thank you.

https://vimeo.com/441661685/b7aba12cba
Bug Started Locked
TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Pinned Replies

Adobe Employee , Feb 10, 2023 Feb 10, 2023

A couple of things:

* When we've investigated keyframe or UI lagging, the primary cause has been found to be 3rd-party script panels or plugins that are also trying to interact with the UI causing these delays. From the twitter thread I can only see a few layers but not a full view of AE to know if this is a default install or if there are other things in play here. If you've got projects that demonstrate the UI lagging, please pass them along and we'll happily look at them. 

* In terms of a UI

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Apr 30, 2024 Apr 30, 2024

I am marking this topic as Started for Investigation and locking the thread.

If you have specific cases of UI issues that aren't already covered in this thread, feel free to start a new post with the issue, steps to reproduce, etc. 

Status Started

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 312 Replies 312
312 Comments
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So long Adobe...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey AE Staff!

It seems like the UI could potentially be fast. As soon as a path/mask is selected, AE seems to switch to another rendering mode that uses the GPU. Maybe it's possible to just always use this rendering mode to always have that performance boost?

Here you can clearly see the difference:
https://youtu.be/bTU2LCRo4dw
https://youtu.be/ZIQYO0ek3U0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So many issues with the UI. My current fav is that the red play head disappears when previewing. No idea what causes it. Tried updating this and that, I suspect it has something to do with dynamic link and Premiere, but who knows. The only fix seems to be restarting AE. This is a fundamental aspect of the program - time based key framing, if you can't get the core functionality to work then what's the point in anything else. Please, no new features until it is stable and solid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me AE currently stalls frequently, often taking whatever key was pressed at the time for a ride. Undo? Try hammering through 30 undo steps in a single go. Delete? Half my layers go down the pan. Prefs deleted, same. Hardware acceleration toggled, same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The focus os Adobe isent better performance, instead, the super engineers are turning the AE into a wagon, full of effects and things that nobody really wants, like the coreldraw.
A big and fat APP, which consumes resources and moves like an old turtle 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Couldn't agree more !!!... and while you are at it, stop changing things that don't need changed like key commands that have been standard for years. I feel like you just do these things to mess with us... If you want to do something productive give us a faster render engine... No one would complain about that. ... I don't need bells or whistles .... I need to be able to work faster.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the whole interface in the windows version is full of lag and glitch even when you do a resize of the windows!!we pay for a continuous subscription every month for several years and I think we deserve optimized software!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem here. I'm working on Asus 4k monitor MG28U and it's very laggy with After Effects.
Can someone tell me if this problem occurs on 2K monitor as well ? Because I'm planning to buy a new one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It lags even on empty composition with nothing but text in it. 2K monitor here and i had zero of these issues in previous version of AE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the exact same problem. Laggy interface with shape layers. I work in cinema 4D with no problem at all, also in big scene files. But After Effects is so laggy as if im working on windows 95. Years and Years of monthly subscription and this is what we get. The experience with after effects is so frustrating sometimes. I used to love my job man, common.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm doing a rotoscope now. The RAM, CPU and GPU are practically not used (like maybe 30%) but *** is taking an hour for each frame. It started the process almost real time, but by the time it got 5 seconds in, it started slowing way down and is getting worse. Ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's honestly mind-boggling how every release seems to add some features I have no interest in, but always breaks core functionality.

I have regularly crashing CEP panels. Change workspaces? 15 seconds of locked AE windows, hoping a crash isn't imminent. Impossible to know what causes the issue, and that randomness of performance is even more concerning/frustrating.

Resizing the main app window or panel is a nightmare right now. Often times I can't select multiple text layers and choose a different font family from the Character panel without AE completely locking up.

For whatever it's worth: Windows 10 (20H2), AE Version 18.2.1 (Build 8). Ryzen 5950X with 64GB of RAM, two discrete GPUs (3080 and 3070).

Here I am, at the end of another big client project having done the work - and the only thing holding delivery is another bug-ridden Adobe program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank goodness we're paying so much monthly so we can watch nothing happen on almost every single request in here. If you check out the Premiere uservoice and sort by TOP you see their team at least has the decency to respond to the highest voted items. Unfortunately no amount of poking or prodding via social media or direct contact matters, Adobe always cuts/pastes "We'll check in with that team and hopefully fix that!"

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you think it's a slag now, just wait. They just added Substance to their catalog of products to ignore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have 2 workstations, on one aftereffects works PERFECTLY, on other one it's terrible. And I can't figure out the difference!!!!

But these are two completely different workstations, in every aspect.

we are missing the key information, it's something that affects the UI, something small. Let's find out what it is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all.

I found this issue upon upgrade...and fixed it.

Firstly I updated to the latest Video Card drivers. No change.

I then explored plugin issues. Again, no change.

As I had just updated using creative cloud, and it pulled my settings across from previous version, I figured maybe this was the issue. Something old holding things back.

So in Preferences, Media & Disk Cache I hit CLEAR DATABASE & CACHE in the CONFORMED MEDIA section.

It crashed AE. 😐

I re-opened it and did it again. After an eternity, it finished...and bam! No more lag.

I can't guarantee this is the problem for all, but it fixed things for me.

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1. Every time new Nvidia drivers or a new After Effects version comes out I load it up to see if it's fixed and am always disappointed. I actually bought this PC to replace my Mac machine, but I wound up having to keep my older Mac because AE is so laggy to be unusable on PC. I think it's a high PPI issue on PC, but my Mac is high PPI as well and that is buttery. I find it incredibly hard to believe that they are not aware of this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I look 10 years back I do see a great evolution in terms of tools and features.
Unfortunately, the software has stagnated in terms of performance and the time to produce simple content has practically no gains in terms of software efficiency and only gains from the additional investment in more powerful hardware on the part of users.
This wouldn't be such a problem if users didn't have to pay so much money for monthly subscriptions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Working with shape layers and 3D is so embarrassingly slow. I am currently moving text around in a simple 3D space, and it is so slow. I have turned down the preview quality, there is not lighting nor shaders and it is still enormously cumbersome just moving and scaling elements.

As the original post says: please cease developing new superfluous features and make After Effects production-friendly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know what's happened with the updates as of late, but now both After Effects & Premiere are like working in molasses. I had to go back a few versions for it to get to working like normal again.

Update: I don't think that worked either. I am now thinking it is trying to make MOGRTS with expressions that may be slowing it down to a halt as the day goes on. But I don't think I'm using complicated expressions, so I don't understand.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You know what's the worst? The TYPING.

Can't even type in text layers without it skipping characters or requiring me to add extra spaces and then delete them for my recently typed text to 'refresh'.

This is happening to me on a maxed out Macbook Pro 16" and a Windows 10 machine with an i7 7700k, 32GB ram and a GTX1080 using an NVME SSD and a Samsung SSD for working files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's even worse now that realtime rendering programs like Notch and Unreal are out there offering real-time compositing all on the GPU - fair enough they aren't as feature rich (yet) but on the other hand, you can output a 4k comp with multiple layers, loads of effects, processing, particles, real 3d in pretty much REAL TIME in Notch but then you take the sequence to AE to maybe tweak a few things and you're back to treacle time - eg today it was 20min to reexport a sequence that was <1min to render from notch. You guys are stuck with 90s tech in 2021. Sort it out or you'll be overtaken. (And you'll deserve it)

For the record I used to really like AE, I've been using it since the first PC version in the 90s! But it's going backwards at the moment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rotoscoping should not take 30 minutes and/or a crash to do 2 seconds of work with 128gb of RAM, 3080 ti and i9-9900k

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UI response issue is not limited to after effects it is true with premiere audition and photoshop even illustrator and as files are getting heavier its get more and more difficult to stuck with adobe and software we love, please adobe take a look at mocha and c4d and Autodesk softwares like flame and see what UI responsiveness are we talking about no one cares about 4 stream of 4k playback while stop and start button doesn't response instantly

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is ridiculous....

please, fix it already!

Votes

Translate

Translate