• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Shape layer attributes created with Add menu are not shown in the Properties panel

Contributor ,
Jul 06, 2023 Jul 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I create a shape layer by double-clicking the toolbar icon, I can access the expected controls in the Properties panel (pic 1)

But when I create one using the menu, I only get access to the main transform controls in the Properties panel, not things like fill or stroke etc (pic 2)

I asked someone to test it on their machine and everything worked as expected, so it's something in my system that's causing the problem. Does anyone else have this issue?

Win 11 PC - AMD 5950x - RTX 3080 - 128 GB RAM

properties.jpg

Bug Acknowledged
TOPICS
Troubleshooting , UI and UX , Workflow

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Jul 11, 2023 Jul 11, 2023

Hi @arewenotmen,

Thanks very much for reporting this issue. We've had some other similar reports and confusion around this issue.

The Properties panel currently requires any Shape elements (Paths, Fill, Strokes) to be contained within at least one Group before it will show their properties. If you add "Group (empty)" before adding the Rectangle and Fill, the Rectangle and Fill will be inside the Group and you should see them show up in the Properties panel. Please let us know if that doesn't w

Status Acknowledged

Votes

Translate

Translate
4 Comments
Contributor ,
Jul 06, 2023 Jul 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should point out that when I create a shape layer via the menu, it is after I then add, for example, a rectangle and fill, there is still nothing in the Properties panel. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Jul 11, 2023 Jul 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Been chatting with Adobe on Twitter about this and they asked for a screen record so sharing it here too.

This is a new project, created in Safe Mode, with all third-party plugins disabled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @arewenotmen,

Thanks very much for reporting this issue. We've had some other similar reports and confusion around this issue.

The Properties panel currently requires any Shape elements (Paths, Fill, Strokes) to be contained within at least one Group before it will show their properties. If you add "Group (empty)" before adding the Rectangle and Fill, the Rectangle and Fill will be inside the Group and you should see them show up in the Properties panel. Please let us know if that doesn't work for you.

Since this behavior gives the impression of a bug, we'll be looking into an improvement/modification for a future version of After Effects.

Thanks again for reporting this issue,

- John, After Effects Engineering Team 

Status Acknowledged

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi John,

Thanks for taking the time to explain. I'll give it a go tomorrow but I'm sure what you're suggesting about the empty group will work. 

For some reason I've always gone through the menu for creating shape layers rather than the toolbar - not sure why, but I've been doing it for so long now I find it hard to switch!

Thanks again for your help with this. 

Votes

Translate

Translate