• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

3D-object breaking through a surface

New Here ,
Feb 06, 2023 Feb 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can I make a 3D-object from a a persons head/face and have this head/face breaking through a surface, maybe a water surface?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 07, 2023 Feb 07, 2023

There is no one layer with one or two effects added solution to the problem you are trying to solve. 

I've got about 40 different approaches that you could take to simulate an actor or a 3D model breaking through a surface. A shot of a 3D dolphin jumping out of a calm ocean would require a different workflow than a robot climbing out of a raging river. They all involve masking or roto or track mattes, position tracking or motion data from keyframes, simulations like particle effects, and at le

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Feb 06, 2023 Feb 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Depends on the exact look, but yes, in principle you can do it with masking.

Mylenium 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2023 Feb 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanx Mylenium. Is there a tutorial for this? I can look on youtube and try to find something maybe? Do I need to manually make the mask or can I use maybe rotobrusch or something?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again, depends. Providing a screenshot/ reference frame of your shot may clarify and help to advise on the best technique.

Mylenium 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no one layer with one or two effects added solution to the problem you are trying to solve. 

I've got about 40 different approaches that you could take to simulate an actor or a 3D model breaking through a surface. A shot of a 3D dolphin jumping out of a calm ocean would require a different workflow than a robot climbing out of a raging river. They all involve masking or roto or track mattes, position tracking or motion data from keyframes, simulations like particle effects, and at least one layer for each new thing you want to add to the scene. I did something similar a few months ago, and the comp had about 200 layers total in a dozen nested comps (pre-comps). I did something similar a few weeks ago, and the comp had only about 4 layers, including a track matte and some keying. 

Show us a sample image of the completed composite you want to duplicate, or show us your original footage and the 3D object you want to insert into the shot and describe what you want to achieve in detail. We can point you in the right direction.

If you are using Element 3D or Traapcode Effects, check out the plugin developers' website first for tutorials on using their tools. They are almost always the best resource for training.  If you use a 3D app like Blender (free, open source, and incredibly powerful for shots like you are describing) or C4D, a breaking-through-the-surface effect will usually be easier to achieve there. 3D apps are usually the easiest way to simulate water or things breaking apart.

After Effects can be a very good tool to combine those elements into a final, believable shot. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 10, 2023 Feb 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I phrased my questionwrong, whwt I really mean is a 3D-object merging through a flat surface, if you have a flat surface and a face/head grows out of this, first the nose, then comes the forehead and the mouth etc, the flat surface is not broken up. This is much easier I think? I can make a 3D-object of my head in Ae if I have a clip of it from many angles, true? I have seen this on youtube.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It should be emerging, not merging.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Found the video, you make a depth map uing a google AI, it sounds fun but how good is it? I dont know.

https://youtu.be/pEwoTWAmme4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found this and I realise its something like this I need and possibly this will be very expensive, can you help me? I dont fully understand. 3D Object Tracking in AR | Packet39

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the confusion, this is more what I need right?

3D Modeling, Texturing, Lighting, Animation and Simulation Software |… (maxon.net)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Heureka! There is a 1month trial of the software I need and I also need blender to track my head!

https://youtu.be/rEQSo-XBCCY

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I see now tha yoou suggest C4D, good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines