• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Add arrowhead to shape layer using trim paths & expressions?

Jun 22, 2009 Jun 22, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am trying to use expressions to attach an arrowhead to a shape layer.

I'm using the 'trim paths' effect on the shape layer to grow a stroke over time (using the start/end/offset features).

I would like to attach an arrowhead to the tip of the stroke, using an expression to animate it dynamically (e.g. the arrowhead follows the stroke when animated using the start/end/offset values)

I've attached a basic project file if anyone can help?

94_shapelayerarrowhead.zip

Thanks for your time, any help appreciated

Tim

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The easiest way to do this is to use a stroked path to reveal the shape layer, then copy and paste the path to the position property of the arrowhead. Auto orient the arrowhead to the path and adjust the timing of both the stroke and the arrowhead position to match them up.

Using trim path makes it more difficult to adjust timing than using start and end for stroke and I can't think of an automatic way to match the timing with an expression.

Another option would be to pre-compose your arrowhead layer after you've used the path for position, then use time remapping to adjust the timing. This may be the easiest solution if you have a lot of timing changes to follow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 05, 2013 Mar 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you reveal the shape layer with a stroked path?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 05, 2013 Mar 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I realize this is an old thread, but I stumbled upon a very nice tutorial if anyone is still looking to master this technique:

http://www.monologue.gr/tutorials/an-animated-arrow-tutorial-to-rule-them-all/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yupp, as Rick said, use a motion path and adjust the timing. There is no way to measure the exact length of mask and shape layer paths, so there is no easy way to correlate them with the percentages of the Trim Paths modifier. Once it's a motion path, one could derive that info using integration functions based on the positional differences of the current keyframe to the next (n, n+1), but that seems unnecessary and can considerably slow things down, as it would have to be done in a loop. I think Dan Ebberts has such a setup on his site motionscript.com, if you're still interested in doing it that way.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 10, 2015 Feb 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We've been working on a script that automates this process. With the click of a button, you'll be able to attach an arrowhead (or any shape) to the front and end of a stroke along your mask path. I think you'll find it useful.

Check out the video to see how it works: https://modio.tv/downloads/easy-arrows/

Cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 13, 2017 Jul 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can paste the shape path to the position of the ArrowHead Layers, and with valueAtTime() expression or valueAtKey(), to create the right movement. After Effects native Auto-Orient, don't work so well with two movement directions so you'll have to use expressions to overcome that.

Alternatively you can use ArrowHead Script that was created exactly for that:

http://www.vdodna.com/products/arrowhead/

Regards!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

or use BAO BOA... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Red Giant's Line (part of Universe) does this too (even though you're a bit restricted on the shape of the path).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines