• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Add gradient to stroke (After Effects CC)

Community Beginner ,
Feb 06, 2018 Feb 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello there!

I created a path and wanted the path to have a color gradient. I found the option for it, but AE doesn't show me the right colors?
It only shows the color which is put in position 0 of the gradient (I switched them and then the stroke was pink).
See attached image for clarification.

Did I miss something?
Opacity is set to 100% for both colors.

Bildschirmfoto 2018-02-06 um 20.26.26.png

Thanks
Steph

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Feb 06, 2018 Feb 06, 2018

there is a gotcha with gradient for shapes and that is you won't be able to modify the color mapping using the visual bar unless your selection tool is active and the gradient is highlighted in the timeline. so this makes it harder to see where your gradient is. by default its in the center of your layer (not your shape which is a layer inside a layer).

this is probably where you are. you got your layer selected but your gradient is somewhere else in the composition space. see how I am taking the

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

there is a gotcha with gradient for shapes and that is you won't be able to modify the color mapping using the visual bar unless your selection tool is active and the gradient is highlighted in the timeline. so this makes it harder to see where your gradient is. by default its in the center of your layer (not your shape which is a layer inside a layer).

this is probably where you are. you got your layer selected but your gradient is somewhere else in the composition space. see how I am taking the gradient mapping bar and moving it to place.

045.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot! I had the Gradient Stroke selected, but because I zoomed in, I didn't see the gradient "path" I could adjust

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the Gradient Stroke selected

remember that's not enough! you also need to have the selection tool active and not the pen tool which is a real gotcha.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 24, 2021 Sep 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @Roei Tzoref , Can we flip the gradient colour by expression control.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 24, 2021 Sep 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes but only layer style gradient has reverse parameter

RoeiTzoref_0-1632497770417.png

you can connect it to a checkbox control if you want.

otherwise for shape layers you could create on of each direction and use a checkbox to control which one is opaque while the other is not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2021 Oct 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This could be a solution for you:

https://youtu.be/4qE06UDNG04 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 28, 2023 Apr 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adding to @Roei Tzoref's comment, make sure the gradient is inside a group, I wasn't seeing my gradient anchor points (the "visual bar") because it was directly inside the layer contents, but outside the strokes' group. I put it inside an bam, the controllers appeared.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 22, 2024 Apr 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

where you find Stroke Gradient?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 22, 2024 Apr 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Click the add button inside the shape layer > Contents. Remember the Gradient Stroke property you create needs to be inside of the shape level where the stroke is (in the case of the picture, inside of "Shape 1").

Screenshot 2024-04-22 at 14.29.30.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines