Exit

Adobe after effects mirror tricks

Community Beginner ,
May 24, 2021 May 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! 

rene_magritte_not_to_be_reproduced.jpgScreenshot 2021-05-24 at 14.38.29.png

I am very new to after effects so I appologise if I am using the wrong expressions or you will have to explain things in a very dumbed down way but I am trying to re-create this rene magritte painting with video clips. Is there any way I could use the same footage to mask my actors back into the mirror itself?

Thanks!

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 24, 2021 May 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Easily done, but you don't use any mirrors at all. If you watch making-ofs of films that use such tricks like certain horror movies, you will see that it's either done with stand-in actors wearing prosthetics, make-up and identical clothing or simply using green screen/ blue screen. All comes down to the specifics of a shot. And there you pretty much have your answer - shoot yourself in front of a screen, shoot the mirror frame with a screen fill and ekey out both, then insert your layers. Of course you can do it after the fact with traditional maksing just as well, but in your very dark shot you'll realyl end up having to trace everything by hand frame by frame as any form of semi-automated function, be that Rotobrush or the mask tracker will struggle to do anything. Anyway, I suggest you read the online help and research the web for a tutorial based on what I explained.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 25, 2021 May 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello,

Thank you for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines