Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

[Advice] How to reveal text in After Effects

New Here ,
Dec 18, 2017 Dec 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

Just though I would write a post to help those of you struggling with making text reveals in After Effects.

I myself have struggled with this and spent time researching the easiest way in which to do it.

This video (below) is the most comprehensive and easy to follow video I have found to make this effect work, and I hope it helps many beginners like myself too:

Text and Logo Behind Mask Reveal - After Effects Tutorial - YouTube

Have a good day!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 18, 2017 Dec 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would give that tutorial about a 7.... Lot's of stuff explained with inaccurate terms and descriptions and the use of colored comp backgrounds give the impression that this is a good production technique when it is not. Take that advice with a grain of salt. The technique will work for some things and may give you some ideas, but the explanation about what is going on in the comp with a track matte was kind of misleading.

My point... VET your trainers. Make sure they know what they are talking about.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Dec 19, 2017 Dec 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The easiest way is to use a single layer with a Mask (set its Mode to Subtract) + Compositing Options. Ensure the Mask is strategically placed where you want the reveal to occur. 

Apply Distort>Transform. Use the effect's Position prop to move the layer appropriately.

As RickG would say - easy as pie. 😉

Cheers

- RolandK

Motion Graphics Brand Guidelines & Motion Graphics Responsive Design Toolkits

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines