Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

AE 22.5 RAM Issues?

New Here ,
Jul 20, 2022 Jul 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm having issues with both RAM previews and rendering. iMac Pro (intel) with 32GB RAM.

1) RAM previews nearly always cover a smaller portion of my work area before they stop. In larger and more complex files they sometimes don't work at all. I always clear the cache, so it's not that (but that helps a little). Previous versions of AE on the same computer gave me longer RAM previews.

2) When rendering my latest project, it slows to almost a halt midway through the rendering. When I open Clean My Mac and select "Free Up Memory" things speed up greatly, but this mean I cannot leave long renders unattended--this is a drag! When I look at the memory usage it's only about 13MB so I'm not maxing out the RAM (as far as I know).

Can anyone shed some light on this issue?

-Lachlan Westfall

Quiet Earth Design

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 20, 2022 Jul 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure you have enough ram allocated in Preferences. Multiples of 4 GB are best. If you have 32, try 28 or 24 for Adobe Apps by adjusting the amount reserved for non-Adobe apps.

Check your cache settings. If you have less than 500GB available, a good starting point would be to allocate 25% of the available ram on the drive. 33% would be the maximum. 

If that does not help, open up the Creative Cloud app, go to the All Apps page, click on the three little dots just to the right of the Open button for After Effects, and select "Other Versions." When the options pop up, select the previous build and re-install. If your previews return to normal, you can try updating AE again and see if the fix holds.

Let us know if any of those suggestions improve your preview performance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 09, 2022 Sep 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm getting the feeling that they break something with every upgrade. This ram issue is crippling and I would rather not have to do reinstalls everytime I have an issue. I can't wait to find out what else is broken. I appreciate your help but this is getting a little crazy in the last few months.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines