• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

AE 24.4.1 resets keyboard shortcuts on quit

Community Expert ,
Jun 12, 2024 Jun 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ever since I updated to After Effects 24.4.1, my keyboard shortcuts keep getting reset to the default whenever I quit the program. I migrated my settings when I ran the update and placed my .kys files in the 24.4 folder in the aeks folder on my Mac. I can't seem to resolve this bug so I'm wondering if anyone has any tips

Additional info

Mac OS Sonoma 14.5

2020 5K Intel iMac

AMD Radeon Pro 5500 XT 8 GB

64 GB of RAM

CPU 3.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i7

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 21, 2024 Jun 21, 2024

I was able to resolve the issue by uninstalling After Effects and removing all preferences. The reinstall seemed to fix the issue and we can mark this as solved now.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Until you find a permanent solution you may want to sync settings before shut down to save your shortcuts to the cloud.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Kes Akalaonu,

Thank you for reporting this issue. What is the name of your custom keyboard shortcut file? And does the "Preset" dropdown menu in the Keyboard Shortcuts reset to "After Effects Default.txt" on each launch, or does it maintain your custom mapping and overwrite the shortcuts within it?

Thanks very much for any additional details,

- John, After Effects Engineering Team 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @JohnColombo 

So I named the custom keyboard shortcuts to "OMG 2023.txt". It'll maintain that preset in the preset dropdown but changes to "After Effects Default.txt" on launching it again without any custom mapping or overwriting the shortcuts.

I recorded a screen recording here: https://share.cleanshot.com/LJN8DDLh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the screen recording, @Kes Akalaonu! So, if I'm understanding the recording correctly, it only requires that you close and reopen the Keyboard Shortcuts dialog for the Preset to be reset to "After Effects Default.txt"?

My suspicion is that there is something incompatible about the shortcuts. Would you able to share the custom shortcut .txt file so we can see about reproducing the bug on our side?

A potential fix may be to use "Migrate Previous Version Preferences" under Prefs > Startup and Repair to re-migrate your previous preferences to the new version. You also might try a "Save As" for the 2023 shortcuts, which might also fix up the file so that AE doesn't reset it.

Cheers,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@RobShultz Sync Settings has been removed as of After Effects 24.3. See details here: https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/sync-settings.html 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's the text file here: https://we.tl/t-c3IgaSVFs7

Tried the Migration to Previous Preference but the problem persisted even after trying to save a new preset.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, @Kes Akalaonu. The .txt file doesn't exhibit the issue for me on 24.4, so the cause must be different.

If you open up the Adobe After Effects 24.4 Prefs.txt file in ~/Library/Preferences/Adobe/After Effects/24.4, look for the "["General Section"]" with a line labeled "Shortcut File Location". Before editing that file:

1. What is shown there for you?
  2. What if you modify the file name as I have shown below and relaunch After Effects?

KeyboardShortcutTextPref.png

 

Cheers,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 13, 2024 Jun 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JohnColombo this is what it's showing on my end. What should I modify it to instead?
24.4 Preferences.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Kes Akalaonu Hmm, that's exactly what I would expect to be shown, so something else must be going on.

When you first updated to After Effects 24.4, did you see a prompt asking about assigning a shortcut to "Paste Reverse Keyframes"? Since you were using custom shortcuts, you should have. If you didn't, then something might have gone awry when your customer shortcut file was read into 24.4.

Do you still have your shortcut file from 24.3 or earlier? The one you sent had already been updated to 24.4, as indicated by the "major_version" = "107" in the file. If possible, I'd love to take a look at your previous one and see if maybe there's a clue as to why the updated version won't "stick" in 24.4.

Cheers,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the .txt file from 24.3: https://we.tl/t-Wl0OzzxP6x

I did get the pop-up originally for Paste Reverse Keyframes but I didn't set a keybind right away

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 21, 2024 Jun 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to resolve the issue by uninstalling After Effects and removing all preferences. The reinstall seemed to fix the issue and we can mark this as solved now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks @Kes Akalaonu! Sorry that we weren't able to find the root issue here. I've marked your post above as Correct for any other encountering this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No worries. Was prolly a random issue that a reinstall seemed to be the fix for. Thanks again for your assistance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines