• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

AE doesn't show AI files - all black

New Here ,
Jul 08, 2024 Jul 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I import an AI-file with several layers including graphics as a composition into After Effects.

After Effects doesn't show any of the graphics. The layers seem to be empty. However, they are not. (See attached screenshots.)

I use the newest versions of both apps on Windows.

Any suggestions?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Illustrator your art is black and you don't have a background in your AE comp. Show the Transparency grid (the little checkerboard icon below the Comp panel) to see if your art shows up. If this is the case you just need to add a BG layer in AE.

Unless you explicitly created a white BG in Illustrator, that's just there for easier visibility and isn't a real background. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply. 

I don't think it has anything to do with the bg. Even if I turn transparency on, the layer simply doesn't include the art. You can see that, bc the AE layer shows the anchor point in the lower left corner. That usually only happens when the layer is empty. But the AI file includes the art. 
It works with older AI-files. In those, AE shows all art in the seperate layers.
Any other suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have multiple artboards in this Illustrator file? AE doesn't support artboards, so maybe that's the issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, there's just one artboard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 09, 2024 Jul 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In that case, I would start doing some tests with a new file. You have a ton of layers there. Maybe create a new file, copy the layers that are visible in your original screenshot to this file and try to import that. 
to be even more granular, I would start with one layer and one piece of art, and import that to a brand new AE file. First see if the pipeline is working at all. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 09, 2024 Jul 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

According to your AI screenshot, layer 9("Kalendar") in the AE comp should be layer 21. You must have deleted a bunch of layers. The other layer names don't match up either. 

Select the Kalendar layer in Illustrator and look for the center of the graphic. If it is not in the center of the artwork in the layer, then you have some funky stuff going on in that layer. 

Did you import as a composition retaining layer size? 

I think cleaning up the Illustrator file so it only has the layers you want to use and ensuring there are not some weird clipping masks or groups in the layers will solve your problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines