Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Ae slow UI on Dual Monitors?

Explorer ,
Sep 19, 2022 Sep 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Community.
I have run into a very weird issue and I don't know how to resolve it. I searched the internet and I can't seem to find the right combo of words to see if others have encountered this as well.

It seems that my Ae runs worse when I am using 2 monitors for the Ae windows. For example, when I run Ae on a single monitor the UI is snappy and functions exactly as it should. Activity monitor shows Ae running between 9% and 40% of the cpu depending on my shot.

When I move the timeline window (or any window) onto the 2nd monitor, the UI suddenly becomes extremely stuttery, sometimes taking a second to register a click of the mouse on a layer. The Activity monitor shows the cpu running between 170% and 345%

I have never encountered this before. No amount of restarts, disk utility repairs, or other trouble shooting seems to work. I am hoping the collective knowledge here will be able to help me sort out this issue.

Machine:
Mac Studio / M1 Ultra / OS 12.5 &12.6 Monterey / 64gb ram

Monitors:
Asus Pro Art PA278qv / 2560 x 1440 res / 75 hrz

Thanks everyone!
Ryan

TOPICS
Freeze or hang , Performance , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are your video drivers up to date?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 20, 2022 Sep 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They should be. I am on a 3-month old Mac Studio running an M1 Ultra chip. Machine is fully up to date and running OS 12.6 Monterey. This issue was occuring on 12.5 as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this happen with AE only or does everything becomes slow when you use 2 monitors?

also, try to play with your display resolution, maybe you're not using the best resolution settings

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 20, 2022 Sep 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ae seems to be the biggest hit to performance. Pr, Ps, Ai, Id and Au seem to run fine, though there are some small CPU spikes showing up on Activity Monitor. Nothing like Ae, which becomes unusable due to the lag. Display res is only 2560 x 1440 so I can't see that being an issue. But I did test and the same results happen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 23, 2022 Sep 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Update: I think I found the issue. Extensions! I am running AtomX, MotionDuck, and LottieFiles extensions. When those extensions are open in a panel it causes a massive cpu useage issue. Not sure why. Even more unclear as to why it is worse on a dual monitor set up. But at least I can close the extension windows and get the performance back.
I tracked my versioning as well and it seems this started on the install of 22.5 and got worse with 22.6. I submitted a bug report with Adobe but I have a feeling that this will be up to the extension makers to sort out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines