Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

AF Layers Stack From Top To Bottom or Bottom To Top

Guide ,
Jul 31, 2020 Jul 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Everyone.

When Adding Layers Into After Effects, Is It better to start the animation from Top To Bottom, or From

Bottom To Top.

Thanks.

Layers Stack.jpg

TOPICS
How to , Preview

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 01, 2020 Aug 01, 2020

You are talking about sequencing layers. The stack order is fixed. If a layer is above another layer it will hide the layer below or influence it with blend modes. 

Your screenshot shows a short timeline with only a few frames per layer. I usually go from bottom to top, but it only makes a difference if you are overlapping the layers. 

Don't get the idea that you can edit video with After Effects. AE is for compositing and most of your comps should be one-shot that you can't create in an NLE

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Aug 01, 2020 Aug 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are talking about sequencing layers. The stack order is fixed. If a layer is above another layer it will hide the layer below or influence it with blend modes. 

Your screenshot shows a short timeline with only a few frames per layer. I usually go from bottom to top, but it only makes a difference if you are overlapping the layers. 

Don't get the idea that you can edit video with After Effects. AE is for compositing and most of your comps should be one-shot that you can't create in an NLE like Premiere Pro. My average comp is under seven seconds and usually has between 10 and 50 layers because most of my work is visual effects and compositing. When I do motion graphics or explainer videos using graphics I usually create comps that are only one sentence or phrase long, then render them and edit the final in Premiere Pro. It's more efficient.

On rare occasions, I'll make s 20 or 30-second comp that has one effect that lasks for the entire time, but these are rare because you'll lose your audience very quickly if you try and hold their attention with one shot that is that long. 

I hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,
Aug 01, 2020 Aug 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Dear Mr.Gerard.

Yes, I was talking about sequencing layers. That screenshot was just an example. I was not trying to edit In After Effects, I do my editing In Premiere. I will take your advice and go from bottom to top.

Thank you very much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines