• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After effect - causes computer to freeze and crash

Community Beginner ,
Jan 23, 2018 Jan 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having issues with After Effect (version 15.0.1), on my newly purchased computer.
When I open a project, and move around on the timeline, it causes my computer to crash within seconds, in a way I have not experienced before.
- My 2nd screen goes black, and the computer freezes. Most of the time the computer restarts on its own. Sometimes it just freezes, and there is no response when moving the mouse, or pressing the keyboard. I have tried letting it be like that for 15 min, and with no sign of unfreezing I have to shut it down manually.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling, but no changes.
I have not been able to replicate the error in the 2017 version of After Effect.

I cannot replicate the error in the 15.0.1 version on my laptop. So I'm thinking it might has something to do with graphic card of the new computer.

Computer specification:
Graphic card: GeForce GTX 1080 Ti

Windows 10 Pro
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-7960X CPU @ 2.80GHz
RAM: 64 GB

Has anyone experienced something similar, and/or know what can be done?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Feb 02, 2018 Feb 02, 2018

The issue has been resovled! It has something to do with the "Turbo max boost technology". It doesnt work with some of the adobe programs, and causes the entire computer to restart.
Its a known problem apparently, I just didnt know what to search for to fix it. I dont understand why this haven't been fixed yet.

Anyway, if anyone experiences the same issues, uninstall turbo max boost technology.

Votes

Translate

Translate
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The fact that one of your monitors goes black makes me think it's a display issue due to you

multi monitor setup. Meaning the fix might be in the Nvidia Control Panel and how you have your monitors set up.

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could a display issue cause the computer to freeze and crash?
- I've tested the monitors 1 at a time now, and the crashing still occurs.
None of the monitors, when tested apart, goes black before crashing though. They only go black when the computer start restarting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could a display issue cause the computer to freeze and crash?

Sure. With the exception of old-fashioned VGA connections, all HDMI/ DVI/ Microport/ Lightning connections are bidirectional, meaning there's at least a constant "keep alive2 signal flowing both ways to determine whether the monitor is still there, its power saving status and other things. Something wrong there can certainly make things crash, not to speak of the actual video connection. Regardless, you still have to muddle through. Unfortunate as it is, these issues can rarely resolved with remote advise. 'Perhaps even the card itself is physically damaged or has a voltage problem, the latter of which also might be a cause for serious crashes and freezes. As suggested, the nVidia panel is your friend as are other tools like the freely available GPU-Z to diagnose your display status.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its wierd how i cant replicate the crashing issue in any other program though.
I tried other video editing software like premiere pro, without it crashing.
I've tried the screens 1 at the time now, replicating the crash, and succeeding, without the screen going black. - Making me think its not the monitors.

I have had contact with nvidia support all day, and they have seemed to come to the conclussion that it must be application related (After Effect).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not unlikely, because CC 2018 is indeed quite buggy. If the issue persists and Adobe doesn't publish a new update soon-ish, you should go back to CC 2017 or even 2015.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An update just dropped moments ago. 

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 02, 2018 Feb 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue has been resovled! It has something to do with the "Turbo max boost technology". It doesnt work with some of the adobe programs, and causes the entire computer to restart.
Its a known problem apparently, I just didnt know what to search for to fix it. I dont understand why this haven't been fixed yet.

Anyway, if anyone experiences the same issues, uninstall turbo max boost technology.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 02, 2022 Oct 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

My after effects keeps doing the same thing no matter what I do, when the program crashes I literally have to unplug my computer because it does not do anything I've already had to unplug it three times in the past 2 hours can someone please help it is frustrating me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines