• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

after effect error: file is damaged (33:7)

New Here ,
Dec 12, 2018 Dec 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I saved my project and i turn off my computer.

when I open the project that message appeared.

auto-save is not work..And new project importing is not work too.

How can I fix this problem? I should open this project properly...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Dec 13, 2018 Dec 13, 2018

Mylenium, your boilerplate criticisms are not helpful.

Error 33:7 indicates that the project file (.AEP) is corrupted, which can happen for a variety of reasons (computer being forced to shut down while After Effects is still active, a cache fault on the hard drive, even a virus). If importing the AEP file into a new project doesn't work, then unfortunately there is very little you can do. The 'import to new' workaround is pretty much the last resort option. AEP files are not editable in any othe

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Dec 13, 2018 Dec 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Impossible to know. You have not offered any details about your system, the contents of the project and its settings, where it was saved and so on.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 13, 2018 Dec 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mylenium, your boilerplate criticisms are not helpful.

Error 33:7 indicates that the project file (.AEP) is corrupted, which can happen for a variety of reasons (computer being forced to shut down while After Effects is still active, a cache fault on the hard drive, even a virus). If importing the AEP file into a new project doesn't work, then unfortunately there is very little you can do. The 'import to new' workaround is pretty much the last resort option. AEP files are not editable in any other applications, so if After Effects will not progress beyond the corruption then there's no way to manually copy out the data. It suggests that the file is badly mangled. The source materials for your project won't be affected, but of course the work dine inside the compositions is lost.

When you say that auto-save is not working, do you mean that the backup AEP files have been created but cannot be opened, or that they were never created in the first place? If you have auto-save enabled and the files are still not being created, then it suggests a bigger problem with your system (if a manually-chosen location for auto-saves is unavailable, AE will create a default folder below the AEP file location).

Obviously in hindsight, having a system-level backup policy (e.g. making nightly copies of your files onto an external disk) would have probably saved you some re-working, but hindsight is a wonderful thing. After Effects own auto-backup is more of an emergency "I didn't mean to do that" tool, for example if you delete a comp and accidentally hit ctrl-S instead of ctrl-A.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 05, 2019 Dec 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it's the new version of AE problem.

I work in a studio that has offices in two locations. We work on two different projects/different files.

Both studios recently started to have problems with opening current versions of projects and getting File is Broken error. Both studios have different PCs different servers, work on different files, do the only common thing that changed recently is the v.17 of After Effects. ;/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 03, 2020 Feb 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you  find a solutin for this? i received the same message today and cannot opena file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2020 Feb 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. If it's broken the only option is to have autosave. (I set to to autosave every 5 min.).

At this point I'm not sure if it's the after effects or just a filesystem/drive thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 13, 2020 Sep 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think that's the problem too because when I had 19 it was no problem so idk what to do. Do you have a solution to this yet ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 06, 2020 Jun 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have noticed all my files that go up to the cloud and dropbox corrupt the files. And sometimes it adds an extra "." at the beggining of the name and another extension of .icloud, and no matter how much you correct the name the file is corrupted. I lost 2 months of work thanks to this BS. Now I have to see where to store my files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines