Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After Effects 17.6 is live!

Jan 12, 2021 Jan 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After Effects 17.6 is now available for download from the Creative Cloud desktop application. This update includes an update to Content-Aware Fill, changes to Color Space and Gamma, and several bug-fixes.

What's new?

• More accurate Content-Aware Fill: Work with a wider range of video clips, including ones where lighting changes over time with the new Lighting Correction in Content-Aware Fill. This update to Content-Aware Fill removes objects that are moving through different lighting intensities. In the previous releases, Content-Aware Fill stays true to the reference frame and does not take into consideration lighting changes which can cause artifacts. When you enable lighting correction, you get results that look more realistic and do not contain distracting artifacts.
  • Color Space and Gamma Changes: The default working color space and Gamma curve has been modified for all RED files.

File Type Default working space in older versions of After Effects Default working space in After Effects version 17.6 and later
Red files
  • Color space- Rec 709
  •  Gamma curve- BT.1886
  • Color space- RedWideGamutRGB
  •  Gamma curve- Log3G10
Komodo files
  • Color space- Rec 709
  • Gamma curve- Log3G10
  • Color space- RedWideGamutRGB
  • Gamma curve- Log3G10

For more details, visit the What's New page.

What's fixed?

• Fixed an issue that caused the mouse cursor to change to the Camera tool instead of zoom-out when holding the option key with the Zoom tool selected.
  • Fixed an issue that prevented using gizmo with scale zero.
  • Fixed an issue with Color Management that caused Use Display Color Management to not be enabled by default when setting the project working space.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause a crash when using Key Cleaner with HDR footage.
  • Fixed an issue with Roto Brush that caused incorrect propagation cached markings to show up when switching layers in the Layer panel.
  • Fixed an issue that caused longer load times for projects with compositions that have more than a hundred layers.
  • Fixed an issue that caused the app window to open larger than the monitor's screen size if the ModifiedWorkspaces folder was deleted.
  • Fixed an issue that caused snapping to be not accurate when using the Graph Editor.

To know more, visit the Fixed Issues page.

How do I update After Effects?

Open the Creative Cloud desktop application and click the Updates tab on the top-left. Find After Effects in the list and click Update.

AE 17.6.png

What should I do if I don't see the update in my Creative Cloud desktop application?
Click Help > Check for Updates from the Creative Cloud desktop application to refresh it.

TOPICS
Crash , Error or problem , FAQ , Import and export , Performance , Preview , Resources , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 18, 2021 Jan 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I installed this version of AE over my old one about a week ago, and I have barely been able to get anything to fully render on it. It tends to get a few seconds in (usually 110 frames or so), and then slows to a crawl, and then eventually I hear the lamb bleat and that's it.

I didn't change any settings, and asked for the previous settings to be migrated with the new install...

What's going on??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 19, 2021 Jan 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updated to this version then the composition window doesn't show any preview and media encoder doesn't render . disappointedly returned back to 17.5.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 21, 2021 Jan 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So is this technically the 2021 release? I don't understand why some of my other apps say 2021 but AE 17.6 still comes through as 2020. Is there another release we are anticipating in the coming weeks? Let me know what to think. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 22, 2021 Jan 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hooray! Installed it, wasn't give the choice to keeo the previous version, now that's gone, along with my output modules. Thanks Adobe, great job!!! You keep delivering!

Why doesnt it just ask if it should keep the preferences., like any other grown up software?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 22, 2021 Jan 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

now unusable.  SOPT UPDATING EVER WEEK. motion is getting much more appealing and I hate that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2021 Jan 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

stuck on splash screen saying either cleaning up anything, or cleaning up aedynamiclinkserver. sometimes its stuck so hard I can't even kill the process from the task manager. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 27, 2021 Jan 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeeeeah welcome to new bugs! Love Adobe so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 28, 2021 Jan 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please optimize AE to use more CPU and GPU. Or at least explain to me why you don't want to do it, or can't do it!

It's very frustrating to have a state of the art machine and watch AE use none of it. Except the RAM, man do you use RAM.

During export is the only time my GPU goes above 1%, meanwhile, when using the program I'm chugging along like it's 1995. It's awful.

These are my specs:

Intel i9 10900k - AE uses less than 25% of it, and with no multiprocessing.

128gb RAM - AE uses 71%...why so much?

NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE - AE uses  a max of 8-10% 

+M.2 chip

+SSDs

It boggles the mind. Someday, somebody is gonna come along and snatch all your customers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 29, 2021 Jan 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check out Rendergarden, it is beyond me why Adobe doesnt integrate that into AME.... Rendergarden, when used right, can speed up AE Renders 3x.  It is basically a script that splits your Renderjobs in Chunks an has multiple AERender Threads to crunch through them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your CPU usage will rise to 100% if you want, depends on the number of renderprocess you launch and the number of cores you have. GPU wont be used a lot unfortunately, only if you use Plugins that make use of GPU. AE doesnt use GPU, out of the box, very much. Also while using Rendergarden i've run into problems sometimes when rendering with GPU support. So when rendering this way i set my Project to "Mercury Software only" in File/Project Settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Why all Adobe products are so complicated???

I mean some programs have very intuitive interface and you can learn how to use them without instruction

Adobe after effect for example has amazing functions, But its interface is so sophisticated...They should rename their buttons and make them noob friendly

Message from moderator: Do not add websites in your signature or your account will be banned

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines