• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After Effects 2015 won't preview in real time after El Capitan update.

Explorer ,
Oct 13, 2015 Oct 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Has anyone experienced the following issue and found a solution for it?

Right after Update to El Capitan 10.11 the After Effects 2015 stopped ram previewing in real time.

No matter what i do it won’t work.

I have a latest MAC Pro 2.7 GHz 12-Core with 64GB ram.

The AE 2014 still works though.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Nov 17, 2016 Nov 17, 2016

Everybody who is having this issue please install the latest update: After Effects CC (November 2017) Bug-Fix Update Is Now Available that is supposed to finally close this thread for good! please report if this issue has been resolved.

if you can't see the update yet, wait a while until you see it. try relaunching Creative Cloud app by typing Ctrl+Alt+R. I see it.

this update is 14.0.1 and is a bug fix for many disturbing issues especially for Mac users. it does not fix all the bugs that are new

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 362 Replies 362
Community Beginner ,
Dec 02, 2015 Dec 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have subscription you can simply install previous version from the Creative Cloud App. Just click on the previous versions in the window.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 02, 2015 Dec 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@rick gerard

It's not about the comp size or frame rate at all. Here is my config : Imac 5k 27" end of 2015, 4GHz Core i7, 32 go DDR3 1867 Mhz, AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4 go. Even with this if i had a simple video, nothing on it, it cannot play normally.

It's only about CC2015 on Mac Os El Capitan. CC2014 works but why do i have to pay the full price for a previous version, is it normal? When you buy a 2015's car, you don't want the previous version but what you pay for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 04, 2015 Dec 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issues with 13.5 and 13.6. Very simple animations in a 1080p comp. I've tried everything I could think of to get this to preview realtime. It's very frustrating.

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)

Processor: 4 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory: 32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3

Disk: 500GB SSD

GPU: AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4096 MB

OS X El Capitan 10.11.1

I tested it on another machine in the office. An older (2011) iMac running AE 2015 with Yosemite and the comp previewed perfectly. Unfortunately, since this iMac shipped with El Capitan, I do not think that downgrading is an option. Please help Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2015 Dec 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here. iMac 5K Retina with El Capitan 10.11.1. Latest version of after effects 13.6. Regardless of how simple the comp is, it will not playback or preview without stuttering, unless i hide the timeline. hitting the tilde ~ key allows me to solo out the main window and the preview works. But the update designed to fix the terrible preview system recently introduced did not fix the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We really need an update on this. Asap.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mucke85 wrote:

We really need an update on this. Asap.

Adobe's already been paid. Why would they give a rats if it's broken and frustrating people?

Subscription model is a joke for the consumer, the best thing since sliced bread for Adobe.

"Does this update work?"

"Nah"

"Who cares! We already got paid! hahahah" Adobe said, and they chuckled the entire way to the bank...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, that's exactly why I canceled the subscription, it's a joke and no real benefits, no real pro functions like Element3d by VideoCopilot. Only some trashy libraries for beginners... I'm back on CS6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, tilde key works only on a single monitor. I have timline window on second monitor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This isn't a real fix for dual monitors but it's a workaround that is saving me time right now.  I precompose my main timeline and put it in another composition that has several seconds extra at the end.  Set your in and out points for the render to only play what you need and then shift the timeline so you can't see the playhead.  RAM preview should play real time even on dual displays.  Moving my mouse will cause it to stutter so you can't work while you watch the preview.  But that's good enough for me until Adobe actually fixes the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every time before preview I reduce the size of the timeline window to a minimum. I only see the green line (cache line).

For me it is a faster way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just wanted to follow up and say that I've tested the exact same AEP file on my machine at home. Very similar setup to my machine at work — the entire timeline plays through in real time so it's looking like the issue is mixing El Capitan + AE 2015. The two just don't want to play nice...

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014)

Processor: 4 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory: 32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3

Disk: 250GB SSD

GPU: AMD Radeon R9 M290X 2048 MB

OS X Yosemite 10.10.5 (14F1021)

Again, After Effects CC 2015 works perfectly on THIS machine but on my iMac at work running El Crapitan, it does not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 08, 2015 Dec 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

El Capitan 10.11.2 is out. Will it fix the problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 08, 2015 Dec 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just checked and it doesn't

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 09, 2015 Dec 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here : When the timeline isn't visible, playback is realtime again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 09, 2015 Dec 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here, thats n ridiculous Bug and i can't believe that no one in the Adobe Team tested this before the release.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 15, 2016 Mar 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you worked for me too, any news on a update to fix this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

stevem81309957 wrote:

Thank you worked for me too, any news on a update to fix this?

Yes! You can help test the After Effects CC 2015 (13.7.1) patch update which fixes this bug

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

does this patch address the broken multi-processing issue? when rendering on my machine with the current version of AFX the system activity monitor shows the cpu user load never gets above %18. rendering is painfully slow, really hope they have fixed that too, it's also been broken for months.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't hold your breath for multiprocessing.  Adobe's doing a massive rewrite of very basic AE code to make things faster.  They're not finished yet, and there's no timetable for finishing stated yet.

If you want multiprocessing, install AE CC 2014.  You can get it.  And AE CC 2015 project files open in it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

naldeau49 wrote:

does this patch address the broken multi-processing issue? when rendering on my machine with the current version of AFX the system activity monitor shows the cpu user load never gets above %18. rendering is painfully slow, really hope they have fixed that too, it's also been broken for months.

Dave is right; multiprocessing isn't broken - it's flat-out not present.

See this page for some more info: features not available in After Effects CC 2015 (13.7)

The latest official word I've heard is:

Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously is probably not returning in its previous form: there are more efficient ways to use multiple cores, and we're investigating what the best solution is for future versions.

We can all agree that the old multiprocessing was buggy and didn't always work (the wrong effect or expression would disable it), so I'm glad they're replacing it with something better, but it's taking a while to do it!

As Dave says, you can open CC 2015 files in CC 2014 with no problem. That's what I do. I work in CC 2015 because it's faster to work with and then render in CC 2014 because it's faster to render.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 10, 2015 Dec 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

crickets... crickets...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 13, 2015 Dec 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having same issues and surely cant wait for spring update. it has to be fixed A.S.A.P.!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At the moment you can fix the problem with moving the "ram-preview-area" out of the visible timeline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was mentioned in earlier posts here and other discussions but its not a "fix" and you can't really work hiding on/off the timeline when previewing stuff..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am on 10.9.5, AECC2015 13.6 and have been completely unable to use any version of AE after CC2014 because it REFUSES to play back previews at the real-time frame rate.  However: one small discovery: close vectorscope/waveform-monitor during preview playback and real-time frame-rate is much more often possible. This step of closing/hiding/disabling windows, CTI's and whatever was never necessary before and is a time-waster but it does allow you to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines