• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After Effects 22.3 is now live: Native Apple Silicon support, Frame.io integration, and more...

Apr 12, 2022 Apr 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi After Effects community,

Today, we're releasing After Effects version 22.3, which is available for download from the Creative Cloud desktop application. I'm excited to announce that After Effects is now natively supported on Apple Silicon. This release's other key features include Frame.io integration, Extended Viewer, Scene Edit Detection, and more.

After Effects team blog: New in After Effects: native Apple M1 support, integrated reviews and Scene Edit Detection

What's new in After Effects 22.3?

Native Apple Silicon support:

After Effects now allows you to take advantage of Apple's M1 series of chips. That means After Effects is now faster in every way — quicker launch times, improved UI responsiveness, and faster rendering.

NOTE: For known differences, limitations, plugin compatibility, and best practices visit our FAQs page.

Frame.io integration:

frame.io.jpgFrame.io is now built into After Effects — share video projects, work in progress and receive feedback without leaving your composition. Frame.io for Creative Cloud includes 100 GB of Frame.io cloud storage, up to five projects, unlimited reviewers, file sharing, and Camera to Cloud with support for uploading via Teradek, Atomos, and Filmic Pro. To learn more, visit:

3D Extended Viewer:

The Extended Viewer extends real-time 3D draft previews and allows you to view the 3D content outside the composition frame boundaries. You can switch back to the standard frame view when you need to see your composition’s final look. For more information, visit the Extended Viewer article.

Binning indicators for 3D layers:

Binning Indicators for 3D Layers show which 3D layers render together in the same 3D space, enabling them to intersect and cast shadows on each other. This gives you a visual map of how After Effects composites 2D and 3D layers together. For more information, check out the documentation for Binning indicators for 3D layers.

Scene Edit Detection:

Powered by Adobe Sensei, Scene Edit Detection automatically detects scene changes in an edited clip and creates markers at edit points or split scenes into individual layers. Visit the Scene Edit Detection article for more information on using this feature.

Coach marks:

After Effects automatically displays Coach marks when you launch After Effects for the first time after installing or updating it. Coach marks provide short descriptions of the newly added features within After Effects. In this release, Coach marks are available for:

• Frame.io: Displays on the first launch to let you know where the new Review workspace is.
  • Binning UI: Points to the new UI when creating or modifying a 3D bin in your workflow.

Constrained shapes:

After Effects 22.3 allows you to create perfect squares and circles more easily by holding the Shift key when you double-click the Rectangle or Ellipse tool. This enables you to create commonly-used shapes quickly and efficiently.

What's fixed in After Effects 22.3?

• Fixed an issue that caused Cache Frames When Idle to use system resources inefficiently.
  • Fixed an issue where After Effects would crash while using the Apple SF Pro font version.
  • Fixed an issue with 3D Scene Navigation where Camera tool options would cycle backward when using the Shift key.
  • Fixed an issue that prevented Exposure Control from automatically enabling when the Exposure value was changed.
  • Fixed an issue with 3D Transform Gizmo that caused layers to not stay under the mouse cursor during drag interactions in Z.
  • Fixed an issue with 3D Transform Gizmo that prevented moving layers in increments of 10 pixels when holding the Shift key and slowly dragging.
  • Fixed an issue where temporary files created during an image sequence export were not deleted if both Skip Existing Files and Multi-Frame Rendering were enabled.
  • Fixed an issue with Draft 3D that caused comp to flash when changing magnification in auto resolution mode.
  • Fixed an issue that caused After Effects generated QuickTime DNx sources with alpha to be decoded incorrectly in Avid Media Composer.

Visit the Fixed Issues page for more information on bugs fixed in earlier versions of After Effects.

How to update After Effects to version 22.3?

Open the Creative Cloud desktop application and click the Updates tab on the top-left. Find After Effects in the list and click Update.

AE 22.3.png

I don't see the update in my Creative Cloud desktop application. What should I do?

This update is a phased rollout and should be available to all the users by April 14.

TOPICS
Resources

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is awesome news! Do you know what time the update will appear in the CC app? The update has yet to appear for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Mattatarian

This update is a phased rollout, so you can expect a delay in seeing this update.

Thanks,

Rameez

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Attempting to open the new build (Apple Silicon) after the update, nothing but a crash every time. 
Opening the Intel Version via CC has no problem (v 22.3.0 Build 107).

Deleted the preference folder. Attempted "Do Not Migrate" preferences on reinstall. Still not able to open it.

Hoping there is an easy solution to this.

macOs Monterey
Version 12.3
MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021)
Chip Apple M1 Max
Memory 32 GB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 13, 2022 Apr 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same exact issues.  everytime I start After effects, it gives me an "IOerror:I/O error" message. after i hit OK nothing works.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled from CC three different times and it keeps bringing this error up and the UI keeps failing to respond afterwards and I have to force quit it everytime.

will have to revert to 22.2.1 til you guys figure this out. 22.3 is clearly not ready for apple silicon.

Macbook Pro

Monterey 12.3.1

Chip Apple M1 Max

RAM 64 GB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @csedit2d

I saw another user report this with the latest release. This error doesn't look like a typical After Effects error dialog and might be related to a third-party component. Do you have any third-party plugins/extensions/scripts for After Effects? If so, you can try removing them temporarily and see if the error goes away. 

I'm curious to know the answer to this as well.

Rameez

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 15, 2022 Apr 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I figured out that the I/O error was being caused by the FX Console (Video Copilot) panel.  I moved that to the trash and AE opens without the error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 18, 2022 Apr 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing, @silocommand.

Best,

Rameez

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @RedSkyPost

Sorry for your issue! 

Can you share the crash log here? I can get it inspected by an engineer. 

Also, with After Effects closed, can you open the Activity Monitor and see if there are any running processes for dynamic link? 

Let me know.

Rameez

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 16, 2022 Apr 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem on a macbookpro M1max. I don't have any plug/extension/script from a third party... I removed and re-installed AE several times...

Now, i discover that  if i wait 3/4 minuts, it finally start to work... But it's not normal. Any suggestion ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @ChristopheSceno

Can you navigate to this location on your computer and attach a screenshot of the "MediaCore" folder? 

/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Common/Plug-ins/7.0

Thanks,

Rameez

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rameez, 

here is the screenshot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 19, 2022 Apr 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing the screenshot. I see you have FxFactory plugins. 

Can you temporarily move the FxFactory folder to your desktop and see if that eliminates the error message on start-up? 

Best,

Rameez

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2022 Apr 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again Rameez,

i tried but there is no change : i launch the app, it open normally but after a few seconds the color wheel appears and roll for 2/3 minuts, making any action impossible... And then, the wheel disappears and i can start to work. Another idea ?

Best,

Christophe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 21, 2022 Apr 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey @ChristopheSceno

Thanks for providing more information. It looks like a different issue to me. I can think of three scenarios that might cause this:

1. Are you working on a freshly created project on After Effects 22.3, or did you update the project file from a previous version?

2. Is Multi-Frame Rendering enabled under Preferences > Memory & Performance?

3. Are you using the SF fonts [SF Pro, SF Compact, SF SF Mono, SF Arabic] by any chance?

-Rameez

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 22, 2022 Apr 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rameez,

The issue i described happens with a new created project with 22.3, but also when i start AE directly without a specific projet... Besides, when i start directly AE and wait the 3/4 minuts for the app to start running, i can open my project directly without any problem.

I had the multi-frame rendering enabled and i put it off but it didn't change anything.

And i don't use any SF fonts...

Do you thnk about something ? Maybe i should desinstall all the adobe suit, run a cleaner app and start from fresh ?

Best,

C

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 26, 2022 Apr 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again, C. 

Instead of uninstalling and cleaning via the CC Cleaner, I'd suggest you create a new user account on your machine and see if you experience a similar behavior. 

Best,

Rameez

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 05, 2022 May 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rameez,

Thanks, it work normally with a new user account on my mac. So the problem come from something in my account wich is not compatible with the app... By the way, i can use the other apps of the suit ithout any problem. Do you think about something with this new lightning ? 

Best,

C

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 27, 2022 Nov 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am having very difficult times with after effects. I am currently using v23.0.

Device: Macbook Pro - M1 Pro (16GB RAM, 1TB SSD). 

I am trying to export one 4 minute video with text layers, some video behind the text using masks, motion blur enabled. Nothing too crazy. On my previous iMac 2020 5K (intel), it took about 30mins - 1 hour.

Currently I am exporting for 28 hours !!! already and it shows 13 more hours remaining !!!

I simply don't understand where is the problem. I tried exporting with media encoder, it was similarly slow, now I am exporting straight from After Effects with render queue.

The project file was created on an intel machine (iMac), don't know if that matters. But this is beyond my beliefs, don't know what to do. The CPU seems to be almost idling, not peaking at all, also the fans are super quiet and the macbook runs at around 58 degrees (celsius).

Would welcome any type of help.

This is unsustainable.

Best,

Nicolas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 28, 2022 Nov 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

4 things to check

1. are you using any third-party plugins or extensions in the comp?  if so can you list which ones? are you running the latest versions of those plug-ins?  

2. also where is your memory and cache set to? is it on the same location as the OS? can you change it to a fast external drive (like a sandisk extreme pro/ or a thunderbolt based ssd)

3. have you clicked on the snail tab in the comp? it'll help determine which layer/effect is causing the slow down..perhaps pre-rendering and replacing that one layer will speed things up 

4. try purging all memory and cache and render again and see if that helps also due to the intense render times you're showing..try running only AE and no other adobe programs while rendering. 

hopefully one of these steps helps you out. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Rameez_Khan,

I'm having an issue with the newest AE update on my 2021 MacBook Pro M1 Max (64GB, 32 core GPU) running OS Monterey 12.3. Oddly, using the brush tool and painting is resulting in extremely slow performance. I've included an example video of this slow performance where I attempt to create a simple "write-on" animation in a very small AE project. This is occuring in both the newest AE version and the newest AE Beta (both the update yesterday and the one that came out today) when running them on Apple Silicon.

That said, I've had no issues in this area with the newest AE update when using my 2016 MBP running Intel. It runs very smoothly on that device and loads much faster than it does when I attempt the exact same animation on my new M1 Max MBP. Additionally, reverting to AE 22.2.1 resolves the issue on my new M1 MPB. Unless there is something else causing this problem, it seems this newest update of AE just isn't playing well with my Apple Silicon device when using the brush tool. Have you seen any other reports of this?

Thanks for your time,

- Jack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jack, 

Thanks for sharing the video! I haven't seen any other reports of this yet. 

I don't have an M1 machine, but I'll share this info with an After Effects engineer who has the M1 MBP. I'll get back to you after we test this in-house. 

Best,

Rameez

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much for the response, @Rameez_Khan! I look forward to hearing from you.

Also want to let you know that I really appreciate the hard work everyone at Adobe is doing on these new AE updates (especially the work going into Apple Silicon compatibility). The Frame.io integration is truly a game changer!

Best wishes,

- Jack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again, Jack. 

Would it be possible for you to share the project file with us? 

Thank you for your appreciation! I'll share your message with the team 🙂 

-Rameez

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there @Rameez_Khan. I can definitely share the project with you! It should be attached in this message here.

Another round of thanks to you and the team for taking the time to look at this specific project and help me out. Just adds to my overall appreciation for you 🙂

Eager to hear if you guys experience the same issues or if it's just on my end.

Talk soon,

- Jack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines