Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After effects Advanced title help

Explorer ,
Dec 21, 2017 Dec 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I've been fiddling around with this title I want to do that comes from the film documentary "The Fourth Phase." It's a write on text effect. However, I can't seem to get the text to write on as smooth as theirs does in the video. I've attached a screen recording from the movie of the text reveal I'm looking to achieve. I already use the pen tool in After Effects CC 2018, I draw the masks over my text but don't connect the last point to the first point. After I have it over all the letters, I apply the stroke effect. I set the start value to 0% and keyframe 1-2 seconds later to 100%. It draws on but I can't get it as smooth as in the video I've attached. I also don't know how they continue to expand parts of the letters. Watch the video below and let me know how I can achieve this.

If you need to know any other details let me know!

Thanks!

Movie Clip:

https://vimeo.com/248427652/477fc9f200

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Dec 22, 2017 Dec 22, 2017

I also don't know how they continue to expand parts of the letters.

Just another stroke or animating the text outline after having converted it to a maks or shape layer path. The rest is unclear since "not as smooth" is too vague a term without actualyl seeing your work. Perhaps you simply need to use longer durations, perhaps just enable motion blur, perhaps employ different tricks. Impossible to know.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Dec 22, 2017 Dec 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also don't know how they continue to expand parts of the letters.

Just another stroke or animating the text outline after having converted it to a maks or shape layer path. The rest is unclear since "not as smooth" is too vague a term without actualyl seeing your work. Perhaps you simply need to use longer durations, perhaps just enable motion blur, perhaps employ different tricks. Impossible to know.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For smooth motion, look into using ease in/out Temporal Keyframes. To extend the shape, convert the text to either a Mask or Shape Layer - you can do this via the Layer Menu. Select the Text Layer and then choose one of these two options -

1) Create Shapes from Text

2) Create Masks from Text

Both options will provide you with paths for the text. Extend these paths to suit your needs.

Motion Graphics Brand Guidelines & Motion Graphics Responsive Design Toolkits

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Look into third party titling plug-ins, there are many.  They are generally simple, elegant and very easy to use. If you do a lot of titles they save a lot of time and make updating or changing easy to do globally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines