• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After Effects CC 2019 & 2020 --- After Effects Error: File Exists but couldn't be open for reading

New Here ,
Dec 17, 2019 Dec 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Last week, I updated my mac with the latest version of Adobe After Effects 2020.  I still kept the CC 2019 version installed just in case I had a difficult time opening my files.  Now when launching either CC 2019 / CC 2020 version of After Effects, I cannot open any of my previously created after effects files whatsoever.  I am getting the error message: After Effects Error: File Exists but couldn't be open for reading: "FILE NAME.aep" ( 3 :: 0) . At this point I really have no idea what to do to move forward. Any help is greatly appreciated.  

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 17, 2019 Dec 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Additionally, when trying to open the CC 2020 version, I am getting the error messages (3 ::0 ) & ( 86 :: 1) not able to open source file.  Additionally in CC 2020, majority of my files are missing when I am able to open the project, but then the application shuts down unexpectedly immediately before all of the files load.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 28, 2020 Jan 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue...

Solution:

Move the orginal file folder to a different location, and re-open.

I moved the file from my external HD to my desktop, and it then opened with no issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 03, 2020 Mar 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have exactly the same issue after the updates. The tedious job of relinking assets helped once, but only once 😞 

Now it gives the error regardless. ugh. 

Also tried moving the files like you suggested, still no difference.

Do you have any suggetions for a different angle?

Renée 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 22, 2020 Feb 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Did you ever find a real fix for this. Moving files and directories around doesn't sound like a real solution 😉

Let me know,

Robbert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 12, 2020 Mar 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

May I present: THE REAL FIX

https://www.howtogeek.com/443611/how-macos-catalinas-new-security-features-work/

Head to System Preferences > Security and Privacy > Privacy and click on the “Files and Folders” option to see any apps that have requested access. You can also grant access to your whole disk by clicking “Full Disk Access.” Note that some apps, like duplicate file finders, will require that you allow access to your entire drive using this menu.

Had a packaging issue with InDesign which led me to this. Tried it with AE and BAM - works perfectly! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 17, 2020 Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

can confirm, that this is the REAL fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 27, 2020 Sep 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not a fix for me. I'm on High Sierra (10.13.6) and there is no "Files and Folders" option in the Privacy area of System Preferences. What's the real, real fix?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 27, 2020 Sep 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I contacted Adobe. There's another fix. I created a folder on one of my resource drives. Make an alias and copy the alias to the Applications > Adobe After Effects 2020 > Presets folder. Restart AE. Now when you search your Effects, anything in the separate folder should also appear here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 23, 2024 Jan 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alex_V

What am I making an alias of?  The After Effects project?

I use LucidLink and this JUST started happening when I open one of my many After Effects Projects.  I've looked in Privacy & Security/Files and Folders and AE already has access to desktop, documents and removalbe volumes.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 16, 2021 Feb 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, this was the Real Fixer for me as well! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 07, 2021 Jul 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Confirm, this works for me. I have a macbook pro and AE 2021

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2021 Nov 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked like a dream. CANNOT thank you enough!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 22, 2022 Apr 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, thankyou! This fixed it for me too. I updated to OS Monterey and got the same errors when opening my after effects file. Really annoying that updating your OS can turn of these preferences.. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 10, 2022 May 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phew - life saver !!

I've had this issue for the past few days with AE CC22 not saving to an external Seagate drive and tried several things with no success, eg reinstalling Monterey, changing permissions etc, checking the drive for errors (none), checking all hard connections between my MacBook Pro and the external drive and even checking to see if I hadn't accidentally deleted *"wheel" from the drive permissions list - *LEAVE THIS ALONE btw or be prepared for a world of pain.

The last, preferable avoidable resort, would have been to reformat the drive to see if this would make any difference.

I followed the above suggestion and now After Effects saves to the external drive.

Quite how this happened is a mystery though since saving has been fine until a few days ago.

Thank you !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 23, 2022 Oct 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are a life saver. Thank you so much. Thought I lost my project forever. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2022 Nov 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2023 Feb 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

omg THANK YOU!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 09, 2023 Feb 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Happy to help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2024 Jan 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This Actually Works!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 22, 2024 Feb 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This saved my project! Thankyou for posting this u are an angel. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 25, 2024 Feb 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sadly this solution doesnt work for me. The even weirder thing is: 

I can access some files from an external drive, other files (on the same external drive) bring up this error in AE. 

Any diffrent Ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 04, 2022 Apr 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks . its works👌

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 22, 2022 May 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

100000 works!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 13, 2024 Feb 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

works for mac

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines