• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After Effects error: Ray-trace 3D ( 5070 :: 0 )

Explorer ,
May 08, 2012 May 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to create extruded vector shapes in AE CS6 and get the below error after clicking on the enable 3D toggle for the layer.

After Effects error: Ray-trace 3D: Out of paged mapped memory for ray tracer.

( 5070 :: 0 )

Any thoughts on how to solve this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Dec 14, 2013 Dec 14, 2013

The After Effects CC (12.2) update and After Effects CS6 (11.0.4) update include fixes and changes regarding the OptiX library for the ray-traced 3D renderer that make VRAM handling better, prevent crashes, and otherwise improve the experience in this area.

Let us know how it's working for you after you've installed the updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 294 Replies 294
May 15, 2012 May 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It appears that everyone who is getting this error with an ATI/AMD card has updated to Mac OSX v10.7.4 from a previous version of Mac OSX. Is there anyone who is still getting this error for whom this is not the case?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By looking at this entire thread, I would also say that COULD BE the case when it comes to AMD GPUs. And if so, what would be your suggestion? Clean install is rather cumbersome job when all other apps are working just fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nesha, we're still gathering information here. It's too soon for us to make a definitive recommendation.

I can say that we have failed to reproduce this issue with any computer system here---but we tend to install OS versions fresh rather than update in place. We'll be having someone check on this update scenario soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok Todd, roger that. Thanks for prompt answer. If clean install comes out as only solution, no matter how cumbersome clean install is I'll do it. I'll wait for your confirmation. It would be good if someone have the same exact machine (iMac mid 2011, for example in my case) where ray tracing actually does work (with clean install). Than we can for sure confirm that clean install is the solution. You (Adobe, I mean) have no means to conduct this test at least?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a system which had a clean install os OS X 10.7. As a debug method, I tried booting my Mac Pro (which has the problem) off of my MBP in target mode (which does not exhibit the problem) and it still created the 5070::0 error. Also, this error was happening in 10.7.3 as well.

My specs are further up in this page and to answer the other questions:

- What operating system are you using? OS X 10.7.4

- Did you upgrade your operating system from a previous version? If so, which one? Clean install from .DMG out of App Store package file

- What is the model of your CPU? 2-2.66 Xeon X5650

- What is the model of your GPU? ATI Radeon 5870

- What is the version number of your graphics driver? 2.1 ATI-7.18.18

If you have an Nvidia card, what is the version of your CUDA driver? N/A

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Though the last few responses have been about amd/ati gpus, a number of us are using NVIDIA gpu's as well. The common thread seems to be most of us upgraded to 10.7.4 recently....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm afraid my case dispells the chances of it being a 10.7.4 thing or an AMD thing. I've also updated to 10.7.4 on my Macbook Pro and it's still working on it.

- What operating system are you using?

10.7.4 now, but only since updating after I had the problem on 10.7.3

- Did you upgrade your operating system from a previous version? If so, which one?

10.7.3 to 10.7.4 didn't work on either.

- What is the model of your CPU?

2 x 2.8Ghz Quad-core Xeon

- What is the model of your GPU?

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285

- What is the version number of your graphics driver? If you have an Nvidia card, what is the version of your CUDA driver?

Cuda 4.2.9, GPU Driver 7.18.18

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am getting the error intermittently on OS 10.6.8; MacPro 3.1; Quadro 4000; latest driver as of yesterday; Cuda driver 4.0

I got the error last night while running two background renders and trying to move around in a comp.  Rebooting the machine was the only fix I could find.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> Cuda driver 4.0

CUDA driver versions have more numbers. The minimum driver version for After Effects to use the GPU-accelerated ray-traced 3D renderer is 4.0.50. What is your CUDA driver version number?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The driver is 256.02.25f01; the CUDA driver version, as shown in AE's 'GPU Information' window is 4.0  --  is the CUDA driver a separate install from the regular driver?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Call me crazy. but the Adobe specs don't mention supported AMD/ATI cards, ONLY nvidia gpus. Maybe those of you on AMD/ATI gpu's get the error because the card isn't supported?

I hope i am wrong about that, if i was using ATI, i'd be pretty pissed. Maybe i missed it somewhere in the tech specs on the site.

As for those of us on "supported" cards, reading through this list, the common thread does still seem to be recently upgrading to 10.7.4 from a previous install.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not true: Adobe explicitly states that 3d raytrace compositions will work in software-only mode on supported cards: meaning much slower, but still work.

What is supposed to happen is the program recognizes an unsupported card, and defaults to software-only rendering.  Not an ideal scenario, but usable.

Instead, under certain combinations of Mac OS and video cards, after effects simply displays an error message, and provides no rendering of 3d raytrace compositions.  Its worth noting that this does not happen when "fast previews" / open gl mode is active.  However, this mode cannot be used for final rendering...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gotcha, so unsupported cards still can use the features, albeit slowly.

That's whats so strange about this 5070 :: 0 error. It doesn't default to software mode, but shuts the feature off completely...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 17, 2012 May 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Someofmywork, that is interesting. All of my Mac systems show 4.2.7 as the latest CUDA version. Do you know where the 4.2.9 driver came from? Are there any games installed on this system from Steam, Blizzard, etc.?

I'm curious, how many of the failing systems have graphics intense games installed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good catch, i hadn't noticed that before.

I found it here:

http://developer.nvidia.com/cuda-downloads

i am downloading now...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lol it won't help you Tavis i've had it since this all started and I updated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lol it won't help you Tavis i've had it since this all started and I updated.

Hah, very true....i may have got overly excited seeing 4.2.9!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The update is behind.  The real current version is 4.2.9  as per the link at nvidia
devdriver_4.2.9_macos.dmg

which we didn't update to until AE started complaining about the driver being old.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and there are no games on my workstations or people get fired 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting. I installed the 4.2.9 and got further than i have before.

No error on start up, but an error when trying use the ray-traced renderer. Before, it wasn't even a selectable option.

I also have no games. Clean aside from Adobe products and FCP studio

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 18, 2012 May 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No problem. We are trying to get a system to reproduce the bug and gaming is one potential area that we have not tested against. So far on systems physically matching those reported here we are getting good results. Testing included updating the OS, trying different CUDA drivers, etc.. The 4.2.7 driver is working fine on the six systems I looked at, so that does not appear to be the issue.

If you can file a bug report and include the complete system information file from a failing system that would be great. Another is to understand how one is testing by providing exact steps including comp size, layer type, ray tracer setting, fast preview mode, etc.. On the windows side, update to the newest NVIDIA driver for the NVIDIA card. If that fails, again, include the system information file in a bug report.

One thing to check on the Mac is to be sure the EFI firmware is up to date. Another thing to try is deleting the Nvidia computer cache. On the Mac this is located in your user folder->Library->Application Support->NVIDIA->Computer Cache.  Delete the Computer Cache folder. It will get rebuilt on launch of AE CS6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fail.   My system runs a gt120 for its display card then a gtx 265 for its Cuda card.  I have tried taking them in and out and reordering them and making a clean user.  I really find it hard to believe this isn't replicable in the lab when its so prevalent in the wild.  There are no settings to give.  ON LAUNCH GPU FAILS with error about driver version. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm that this did not work.

I am on a Mac Pro (2008 model) / Q FX4800, running the latest EFI and i've deleted the Nvidia computer cache to force a rebuild.

Still get the (5070 :: 0) error.

Forgive my ignorance, but how do i go about filing a bug report.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> I really find it hard to believe this isn't replicable in the lab when its so prevalent in the wild.

It is not prevalent. There are very few people hitting this. We understand that it's annoying to you, since you're one of the people that it's hitting... and that's why Will (and others here) are trying so hard to find the exact set of circumstances that cause the problem. The more information you can give Will, the more likely he is to be able to help you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> Forgive my ignorance, but how do i go about filing a bug report.....

http://adobe.ly/ReportBug

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines