• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After Effects error: string memory leak ( 83 :: 2 )

Explorer ,
Nov 03, 2017 Nov 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since upgrading to the latest AE, I'm getting this error every time I close out of After Effects - basically crashing on exit.  Anyone else?

This is on a Macbook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) 16GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 750M.  Haven't upgraded the PC workstation yet to see it is replicated on that system.

Shawn

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 19, 2018 Jan 19, 2018

Definitely file a bug, Shamer.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Feb 19, 2018 Feb 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if this is the cure... but I reset the project's color Working Space settings and the problem went away.

It also started caching rendered frames properly again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 05, 2018 Mar 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issue here, as well as a host of other bugs that only appeared just recently. Loads of corrupt AEPs. Some main AEPs corrupt but their auto-saved counterparts are ok. Increment saves not updating in AE, but can be found in folder where they were mapped/saved to, but all corrupt.

Really unstable, I have found that purging my cache regularly has help. It is not unusual for me to hit 90-100gb and this CC 2018 really does not like that. So capping the cache and saving loads of increments has reduced my heart palpitations somewhat but it really isn't ideal. So far the "string memory leak" message has gone and the files seem to save ok, but still you don't want to be worrying about those things. Especially when you're working on big projects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 08, 2018 Mar 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same exact issue. Get error upon quit, every time. Project reopens fine without error. I'm on a 2012 Mac Pro, 64 gb ram.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 14, 2018 Mar 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same problem here. It does not happen always. Only after long time work on some project with a lot of subcomps and layers or after working on several projects in a row without closing After Effects. Projects contain only PNG and JPG images, mp4 footage, text and shape layers. Some simple expressions are used. None of third-party plugins are used.

AE 15.0.1 (Build 73)

macOS High Sierra, v 10.13.3 (17D102)

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017), i7@4.2 GHz, 64 GB RAM, Radeon Pro 580 8 GB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 02, 2018 Jun 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue with After Effects (v15.1.1) across multiple computers (including a new iMac Pro, all running High Sierra 10.13.5). While seemingly benign, I believe that it is significantly slowing my computer(s) down when I'm using Linked Comps in Premiere or exporting After Effects comps through Media Encoder (a 10-minute render takes about 30).

I have found that while running an AME queue, if I quit After Effects, open up Activity Monitor and quit the "aerendercore" process, it will restart without interrupting the render queue and my renders times return to normal. I figured I would pass that along in case anyone else has a similar issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 04, 2018 Jun 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue, every time closing After Effects ( 83 :: 2 ) After Effects error: string memory leak

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 04, 2018 Jul 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue in my macbook pro. However, I dont know why but I just FIXED it by creating a new folder name "Adobe" at User/[username]/Library/Caches/ (because I didn't see any adobe folder here before), then launching AE and suddenly everything ok!

For reference, I get the error message "can't write to font cache..." while launching AE before.

fixing permissions problem that impedes start of Adobe applications | Creative Cloud blog by Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 06, 2018 Sep 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just got it for the first time, but have had a number of issues since the last update. Actually for me it started more specifically with a Windows update that shut my computer down overnight while AE was open.

Before the memory leak message I saved a project and then exited the program. This message popped up after exiting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 12, 2018 Sep 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem. I have already reported this and guessing that the last message was on 19 Jan 2018... You guys failed to address this issue with your updates. I have the latest update. Seriously we don't need extra features. Just make this application stable for professional users who install Script, Plugin etc. I am guessing somewhere you going to say it's from the scripts or plugins. Hope I am wrong though. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 19, 2018 Sep 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just started having this problem too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 22, 2018 Sep 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having the same problem since yesterday when I installed AE for the first time on my computer. The error appears when I try to open the program.

00001.JPG

00002.JPG

00003.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 15, 2018 Oct 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this issue and fixed it by:
1- on desktop go to Go > Go to Folder > ~/Library > Cache;
2- Right click on Cache and select > Get Info;

3- Click the lock and unlock it with your password;
4- Click the plus in the bottom left, and add all the accounts that show up;
5- Select all the users and give them Read and Write, permissions (except everyone);

6- Select the gear dropdown and select the option, apply to enclosed items;
7- Click the lock to Relock it.

This fixed the issue for me! I hope it helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 15, 2018 Oct 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I fixed just by clicking on the AE icon with the right mouse button and running the program as administrator. After that, I never had any errors again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 11, 2019 Jan 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im on windows 10 getting the message.  WHYYY is my computer letting other people know my data.  I pressed dont save on purpose so... letting other people know my information in my biggest concern

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Jan 11, 2019 Jan 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hollya32494432  wrote

letting other people know my information in my biggest concern

Why do you think your computer is letting other people know your information?

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 16, 2019 Jan 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lo solucione simplemente (purge All Memory & Cache...) y listo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 29, 2019 Jan 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, same here. Maybe not every time, but frequent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 01, 2019 May 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey all,

I'm not sure if this is linked but I also got this error. I was adding a lot of footage and effects to a corporate film. After working on the film for a file I noticed that some of the footage had gotten mixed up. I checked my workflow and there wasn't a problem there. A split second frame of another part of the video has someone become entangled in an earlier clip. Meaning, this particular clip flashed up on the screen.

I split the timeline up, deleted the offending clip and moved everything else along. This seems to have worked but I wonder could this be a result of the 'leak'?

You'll have to bear with me - I am fairly new to AE and normally just use Premier but have recently been using AE animating text. Maybe it's just something I've done as an amateur

Anyway, let me know what you think/if you've ever had this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 30, 2019 Sep 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same !!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 04, 2019 Oct 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not going to lie, I didn't read this whole thread to see if anyone else has this answer, so apologies if I'm repeating anyone, but I've had this same problem since switching to a trash can (Mac Pro Late 2013 - 3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5 - 64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3 - running os 10.12.6). After much swearing and frustration, we finally figured it's something between external the Blackmagic gfx card (UltraStudio Express) and After Effects. As long as I unplug that thing, I'm fine. As soon as I plug it in, I crash every time I try to close a project or quit AE. For me it's an okay workaround, because I only need to use the Blackmagic card when I have clients. All that to say, I don't know how to solve your problem on a MacBook Pro, but this is my experience and my workaround. Hopefully it helps you get a little closer to figuring out a solution! ETA: I'm on cc 2019, but this has happened since cc 2017.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Oct 18, 2019 Oct 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The crash is related to the creative cloud app. synch.  Kill the CC app and you won't get the error.  

~Gutterfish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 15, 2019 Nov 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SAme issue on Windows 10.... And getting it at times with Photoshop too. Only since the latest update! So sick and tired of Adobe holding us ransom!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 18, 2019 Nov 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here (Windows) since I update AE to the latest version 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 19, 2019 Nov 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Happens to me on close as well, but only when I first try exporting to Media Encoder, which never appears in the render queue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 24, 2019 Nov 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, same here!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines