Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After Effects not seeing PostScript Fonts

Explorer ,
Apr 04, 2018 Apr 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

After applying the latest update for AE and Premiere this morning, I noticed that neither program lists PostScript Type 1 fonts in their respective font menus. AE CC 2017 still lists (sees) the PostScript  Type 1 fonts correctly. Did I miss a notification regarding dropping support of PostScript  Type 1 fonts or is something amiss? Photoshop, InDesign, and Illustrator still see PostScript  Type 1 fonts. Seems to have only affected the video applications?

System Specs below:

Mac Pro 5,1 (2012)

128 GB RAM

NVIDIA GTX 980

macOS 10.12.6

Font Management via FontExplorer X

Thanks for any help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Apr 04, 2018 Apr 04, 2018

We are investigating a problem where After Effects 15.1 is unable to see certain PostScript fonts. This is an unintentional change, and we're still in the discovery phase.

Workarounds in the meantime for this would be to convert the font or obtain an OpenType or TrueType version of it. Failing that, create the text in Photoshop and use the PSD source instead of a native text layer in After Effects. (Yes, that's a bit of a hassle, which would work best if you're not animating the text and don't ha

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Apr 24, 2018 Apr 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issues here wasted hours trying to figure why After effects was not recognising certain fonts... Hope Adobe fixes it soon. Thank god for the option to revert back to previous version....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 24, 2018 Apr 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Back to previous version, Thanks a lot Ozzy for posting this.

Adobe > Fail

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 30, 2018 Apr 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I HAVE SPENT THREE DAYS LOOKING FOR THIS SMALL PIECE OF INFORMATION. After chatting with Adobe for 2+ hours over multiple days, I'm pretty annoyed that this issue even exists.

This one problem has broken ALL of my essential graphics. Every single one of them that I use EVERYDAY. Adobe, HELP US.

In terms of downgrade options, will that fix my essential graphics? Suggestions anyone?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: I rolled back AE to 15.01.1 and Pr to 12.0.1 and all seems to be in working order for now! If I have any changes, I'll comment!

Thanks to this small corner of the internet for understanding the hell the last three days have been for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am glad you got it working. It’s actually surprisingly easy to downgrade which is the one saving grace. Let’s hope they fix this soon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here, downgraded, now everything is working fine. Only mistake on Adobe's part is not communicating the issue, would of saved a lot of people some time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it's a bit poor really since Adobe are still recommending all users update to the known buggy version of AE on the creative clown app.
I wonder how many others will suddenly find their lives made somewhat more stressful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seeing problem here in Adobe Premiere Pro v12.1.1 (Build 10) on a Mac running OS X 10.12.6 (Sierra). The update broke a project authored in previous version. I hope Adobe fixes this ASAP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Dan stated above and as can be seen here...

How Can We Improve Premiere Pro?

This problem is also affecting Premiere Pro. While I appreciate that there are "workarounds", either by returning to the crude days of creating PSDs of your text or by having to convert every single PostScript font you wish to use, I find it troubling that such a basic function of your software was so simply botched up with a point update. Bugs happen, I can understand this, but this seems to me to be a basic failure of proper software testing before release. This is almost akin to you 'unintentionally' leaving off the pen tool.

I'm no engineer but it seems to me that this PostScript font issue should have been a much higher priority than the list of fixes we saw in AE 15.1.1, especially as it seems to be affecting both of your professional video creation, compositing, and editing applications. However we have been assured in this post by Rameez that they are indeed working on a fix...

Font doesn't appear on my AE but does on my collegue's AE

The only question...is when? Stay tuned indeed...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also found today that you must roll back Media Encoder as well when you go to export as well. Heads up!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 11, 2018 May 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here !
I have a film to update with a lot of postscript fonts and it's a mess. Can we have an update asap please ?.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 11, 2018 May 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

stéphaneb135451  wrote

Same problem here !
I have a film to update with a lot of postscript fonts and it's a mess. Can we have an update asap please ?.

Don't hold your breath -- use CC 2017 and get on with life until such time as Adobe takes time away from developing new AE features to fix what they broke introducing previously-new features.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2018 May 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And how I can open my projects I did with cc 2018 ? ^^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 31, 2018 May 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are testing a fix for this problem. If you would like to help us test the fix, go to https://www.adobeprerelease.com/ and click on the Available Programs tab, then join the "After Effects CC bug-fix patch update" program. A non-disclosure agreement is required to enter this program. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 11, 2018 Jun 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Tim+Kurkoski  wrote

We are testing a fix for this problem. If you would like to help us test the fix, go to https://www.adobeprerelease.com/ and click on the Available Programs tab, then join the "After Effects CC bug-fix patch update" program. A non-disclosure agreement is required to enter this program. Thank you.

...And welcome to the Adobe Unpaid Beta Tester Program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 12, 2018 Jun 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see your team is working on a fix for AE, but what about Premiere Pro? Postscript Type 1 fonts still don't work in v12.1.1. Is a solution in the works yet or are we all stuck trying to convert to Truetype or Open type fonts?

Thx.

Concerned user.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bellPost  wrote

I see your team is working on a fix for AE, but what about Premiere Pro? Postscript Type 1 fonts still don't work in v12.1.1. Is a solution in the works yet or are we all stuck trying to convert to Truetype or Open type fonts?

As I mentioned above on May 25, both the Premiere Pro and After Effects team are working together on the solution for this problem. The bug exists in common code shared between the applications. When a fix is publicly available, it will be for both applications.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fantastic. Sorry, I hadn't read the entire thread.

Appreciate it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 25, 2018 Jun 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tick… Tock…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 11, 2018 Jun 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wasted 3 hours today "discovering" this bug. What a PAIN! Now I have to revert to AE CC 2017 and reinstall all of the new plug-ins I wasted on 2018.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My solution was to use a free demo of TransType 4 for Mac or Windows to convert the Postscript fonts. It's not clear from their website what the limitations are for the demo. The full version is $97 USD. There's a lot of free "online font converters", but the sites look very sketchy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 13, 2018 Jun 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To clarify, I had to convert the Postscript fonts to OpenType. The default in TransType is TrueType fonts and I thought it had worked yesterday because I could convert the PSD fonts to editable inside AE. But today I realized that the fonts were still not showing up in the font menu list in AE despite showing up in Photoshop and Illustrator. After converting to OpenType, the fonts now appear in the Character Font list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Earlier today, user michaels27531086 asked a question I think deserves to be answered.  Instead of providing said answer, Adobe chose to censor this forum and remove a legitimate question.  Thankfully I still have the automated email and can repost it:

"Why are you continually "pushing" the AE update via the ACC application when you know it has this bug?"

Adobe, can you answer this time?  Why is it on the user to fix a problem with your application that you've known about for months and deliberately chose not to pull?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This annoys me as well, and the lack of info. I you going to push the update at least update us about current bugs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 15, 2018 Jun 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To add to my ridiculous frustrations with this problem:

I have to use PrPro 12.0 to keep my graphics working with my font. BUT.....now my 4k footage is glitchy. The solution: UPDATE to 12.0.1. See this thread: Playback Glitches Premiere 2018 12.0.0

So, I cannot win. Either I can have beautiful 4k footage or I can have my graphics. 50 shades of done with Adobe right now. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines