Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After Effects: Out Of Memory

Jun 16, 2009 Jun 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay I'm trying to render out a minute long comp. I have it set to render to a 1280x720 .mov using the Photo-Jpeg codec. However, everytime I try to render it'll get part way through then say "After Effects: Out Of Memory". I've tried purging the cache and stuff. I have 8gb of free space on my HDD and 2gb of ddr2 memory. I could really use some help here as this is probably my best work to date.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2 GB of RAM is really, really the minimum.

Do you have a multi-core machine? Do you have Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously turned on in preferences? If so, you'd have to disable it. 2 GB is not enough for multiprocessing, regardless of the number of cores.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know I need a new computer, however, I'm broke, I got no job (not for the lack of trying), I'm only 16. So for now I'll have to make do with what I got. I've been using AE on this computer for about a year and a half now, with little to no problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think you need a new computer. You may need a bit more RAM memory, that's all.

Maybe there's something specific in your project that makes it use more memory than your typical project, that's all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No a new computer is a must. I already have as much RAM as my laptop will take. When/if I get new computer, I'll probably get a nice gaming computer. For the most part a gaming PC works great for video editing (same basic specs, Graphics card, RAM etc.) Anyways do you have any other suggestions on how I could get this to work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 17, 2009 Jun 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Woodsman819 wrote:

Anyways do you have any other suggestions on how I could get this to work?

Don't use Photo-JPEG or any other compressed Codecs! From inside AE that is. What happens here is that the additional math transformations (discrete cosinus transforms [DCT] and other geek stuff) required to let the compression do its thing also take up valuable memory and it may actually be that part that prevents you from creating your movies. At best, use "simple" RLE compression as employed by the Animation CoDec (which, depending on the image content may even be more efficient than Photo-JPEG). If, for some reason you need specific CoDecs, then do the compression externally using Quicktime Pro or, should you require H.264 and other MPEG derivates, with ffmpeg or similar tools. AVIs can easily be created with VirtualDub and it even supports some QT formats, so there are some free options as well. And of course in CS4 there's Adobe Media Encoder for such tasks... And another tip to improve behavior: render to image files (TIFFs), then convert the image sequences in a second go. This will prevent AE from having to keep open a large movie file to append frames in the first pass, which will make it more reliable.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! I never thought about that. Unfortunately it didn't work. I guess I'm screwed on this one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mmh, yes, of course, these are just tips, not guaranteed cures. It should however be completely possible to render such comps on a 2 gig system. It may not be fast or fancy, but it should work. So something else must be causing this. What source footages do you use? What effects? Maybe a specific effect is just getting memory hungry (blurs and glows dilate the buffers considerably...)

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the most part this entirely done inside AE the only outside source is a still image, a couple of PNG sequences from 3d max, and some wav files. The only effects that are exstensivly used are Cartooner from the Boris Complete Continuum 6 and Vector Paint. The really strange thing is that I have no issues doing a RAM preview inside of AE, but if I try to export the comp it gets all "RAWRR: No memory left."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 18, 2009 Jun 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still strange. If you selectively disassemble your project? Render without audio? Turn off Cartooner? It could work then and at least you'd know who to blame.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 18, 2009 Jun 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good idea! I'll try rendering the audio seperately.

EDIT: This is interesting. I tried rendering without the audio, and now I get this:

Unspecified Error.jpeg

Message was edited by: Woodsman819

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2018 Apr 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I HAVE 16 GB OF MEMORY RAM DDR4 AND 700GB OF SPACE FREE AND AE SAY OUT OF MEMORY 2784K

WHAT I CAN DO?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 21, 2018 Jun 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

At our also, useless application

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 23, 2016 Mar 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My solution was to render part of my timeline, then import it, then render the whole thing together. Part of my timeline had multiple layers of effects such as directional blur.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 04, 2016 May 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a QuickTime issue. Just upgrade to the newest version of QuickTime.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines