• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After-Effects renders videos too big of a filesize; how to reduce filesize?

New Here ,
Jan 04, 2018 Jan 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problem: I render After Effects Video and get a file size too big.

More information below:

ExtendScript

var rq_item = app.project.renderQueue.items.add(comp); // add the comp to the render queue

rq_item.outputModule(1).file = File('~/Desktop/out.mov'); // set the output path

rq_item.render = true; // set it to enabled (is the default)

app.project.renderQueue.render();

However, the size of the 1080p rendered video is about 4GB. It is just a very simple 2 minute video.

I had this problem with After Effects before. To solve it, I was told to use Adobe Media Encoder. This solved my problem. For some reason, using Adobe Media Encoder to render the After Effects file drastically reduces the file size to 160MB. A lot of online forums say "Use Adobe Media Encoder" as a solution to the large file size problem.

Edit: I now manually fixed it and found that the problem was due to the codec (it was set to "Animation"). I changed it to H.264. Unfortunately I don't know how to do this in ExtendScript.

Thank you!

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 28, 2018 Feb 28, 2018

Hi BradleyK,

As you said, you used the Animation codec instead of a standard intermediate codec. More info: FAQ: Why is my output file huge, and why doesn't it play back smoothly in a media player?

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 16, 2018 Jan 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could ask for help on changing the codec in the scripting forum.

And just for clarity, the "use AME for smaller file sizes" is a misnomer. As you said, the codec was set to "Animation" which is exporting a visually lossless file. After Effects is often not the last step in a production pipeline and you want the highest quality file when exporting for the next step. AME can give you the H.264 (as well as every other codec Adobe supports, including Animation) file with the benefit of being able to process in the background while you continue to work in After Effects.

If this H.264 isn't your final file then you might want to consider using another intermediate codec like ProRes, Cineform, or DNxHD, which will give you smaller file sizes than Animation, but still offer lossless quality. Understanding codecs and bit rates can be very complicated, but it will go a long way to help you troubleshoot your issues. H.264, for example uses lossy compression, where visual data is lost, but at the benefit of a smaller file size. You can choose whether you want a variable bit-rate (VBR) or a constant bit rate (CBR), and then define the bit rate as a number (Kbps or Mbps), which determines the amount of data that will be used for each second (Kilobits or Megabits Per Second).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Long story short: you have not said what you have to DELIVER. 

What are your delivery specifications? 

How will your AE animation be used next?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CoDec options are not available in scripts. You have to create a output module preset and call it up in your script.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You also do not want to render H.264 files using the Output Module. It does a lousy job rendering GOP compressed files. I think that the best automated option would be to create a watch folder. That is how I would automate the process of creating a bunch of deliverables with the least amount of user intervention.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 28, 2018 Feb 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi BradleyK,

As you said, you used the Animation codec instead of a standard intermediate codec. More info: FAQ: Why is my output file huge, and why doesn't it play back smoothly in a media player?

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 02, 2021 Jul 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The link is dead, please update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2021 Jan 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the answer, a sound spectrum of a 30 minute track i rendered came out at about 192GB before the changes and maxed out my storage

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines