• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After Effects Stop Responding on File Importing.

New Here ,
Sep 16, 2018 Sep 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After Effects Stop Responding on File Importing.  I am on the latest updated version.

Whenever I drag and drop a file into after effects it freezes however if I go right click>import>file and import the same file that way it import the file instantly.

Just drag and drop freezes. How can I correct this issue.

sadfasdfsdaf.PNG

This happens on any type of file, even images, jpg, png, doesnt matter if I drag and drop it after effects freezes.

System

CPU - thread ripper 1950x

Ram - 32gb @ 3333mhz

Drive - 2 nvme samsung 960 pro

OS - windows 10 1804

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reboot, re-launch and try again. If you still have problems make sure your version of AE is up to date. If it is, uninstall and re-install AE using the Creative Cloud app. Your AMD CPU may be a problem. I've seen several posts by folks with AMD processors and After Effects. This is just one of them: AE on Ryzen 1700 not performing/rendering even close to expected ...

Let us know if you have any success.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your suggestion, I tried everything you suggest but this issue still rises. as far as amd is concerned I have no other issue with after effects at all so idk hope it isnt a amd problem, the issue is not a deal breaker since I can always go the right click>import mode and that works flawlessly just the drag and drop is just so much more convenient for my workflow.

I will be doing a fresh install here in a few days, so hopefully that clears up the issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2018 Sep 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

does anyone have any help? I uploaded the task manage view of what is crashing etc.

filesad.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 14, 2020 Nov 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wanted to say even in 2020 this exact issue still exists.

32 core threadripper 128gb ram. Latest version of after effects. Windows 10 will all the latest updates.

Nothing like losing a couple of minutes work every time you forget this bug exists and AE just hangs for no reason. 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2021 Feb 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2021 here. Same problem, different year. All software is updated. (i9, 128gb, nvme gen4). The problem still persists. Any chace we can finally get this fixed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 13, 2021 Feb 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same here please do something issue guys......

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2021 Nov 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same issue here late 2021 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 04, 2022 Jan 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same issue 2022 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2022 Apr 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still happening in 4/13/2022

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 14, 2022 Apr 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Watson24021165tgby,

Sorry for your issue.

Could you create a new thread with the following details:

• What are your system specifications (CPU, GPU, RAM, OS version)?
  • What's the exact version of After Effects you're using?
  • Which type of file you're importing? Does it happen on any file that you try to import?

We're here to help.

Thanks,

Nishu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 16, 2022 Apr 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same issue, i do work with psd file to after effect,  i use ryzen 7 6800h, rtx 3060 mobile gpu, 16 gb ram ddr5, windows 11

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2022 Apr 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same is happening to me. It seems I can import files through Bridge, but not drag and drop from file manager or through File>Import.

I spoke with the tech support and they reinstalled AE, used the clean up tool, rebooted my computer, renamed the AE file and reopened AE. The only thing that worked was creating a new Admin account on the OS. They said it might be something to do with the OS and I would like to avoid a clean reinstall if possible.

CPU: i7-10875H
RAM: 16 GB

GPU: Nvidia RTX 2060

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 23, 2022 Jul 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

still happening in july almost august 2022..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2023 Nov 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

After Effects 2024 still is an issue...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 07, 2022 Jul 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot import or drop the pds file, it still freeze, I am so frustrated with AE, please fix it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 07, 2022 Jul 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only way around this that works for me is to open the file in bridge and place it in AE, save project re-open.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 23, 2022 Jul 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you double click the image file, what application is launched? If one of Adobe products is not launched, you change the property of the file to make sure Photoshop or other Adobe products are used to open the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 25, 2022 Nov 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, for everyone struggling with the .psd import, here is a workaround:

Import the .psd as footage. Then put it in new composition, then right click on the file in the compo:
Create - Convert to Layered Comp

Works like a charm, I hope this helps:) 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 13, 2023 Oct 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found. This problem appears when there are a lot of layers in psd. I merged some layers and it is ok now. Try this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines