• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After Effects Stuck Off Screen

Community Beginner ,
Mar 07, 2018 Mar 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I opened After Effects on my 15 inch macbook pro, and the only part of the application window I can see the very bottom. I can't work in it, and I can't even find the options to resize the window. It's just stuck off screen.

The only solution I found is to System Preferences > Displays > Scaled... Then I choose another size text and if I go smaller it's fully on screen but obviously much bigger text and less work area. Please help.

TOPICS
User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Beginner , May 10, 2018 May 10, 2018

'another option is to grab any portion of the window you can and hold down OPTION+SHIFT keys and drag, which will resize the window in any direction'

Found the above from How to Resize a Window That is Too Big or Off Screen in Mac OS

Worked for me

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Jun 08, 2018 Jun 08, 2018

I figure it out, When it happened, just hold option key and double click bottom-edge of the window, it should works.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Jan 02, 2019 Jan 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this same problem this morning. The Option + Shift and drag window approach worked... but only just.

I can't believe it's 2019 and we have to deal with stuff like this from Adobe / Apple. Not expecting a fix anytime soon unfortunately

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you experience this again theres a really simple fix.

Go to: Window-->Workspaces-->Reset current workspace

AE will will then automatically resize everything you your monitors native resolution

Mo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the suggestion Mo. That would be great, however at least in the current release, there is no "Reset Current Workspace" option that I can find. (Please see attached). Noting here that the Reset "Standard" to Saved Layout option does not help.AE_Workspace_Reset.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Reset Standard to saved should work unless you had made changes to it.

if it doesn’t the best way forward would be to reset your preferences

Mo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2019 Jan 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2019 Jan 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just went through this, and didn't see the Shift+Option... I'll try that next time it will assuredly happen. What did work (with dual monitors), is switching the "home" monitor. From there, AE  moved the entire workspace to the other monitor,  which fit in the monitor perfectly, so I scaled the window down, dragged it back to the other monitor. Now when I moved the "home" monitor back, the smaller scale workspace could be dragged back into position. A bit of a PITA, but it worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 07, 2019 Mar 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was driving me crazy for some time.

I am sure most of you have tested this solution out before trying all the time consuming ones,
as it sometimes works:

Double click the grey bar on the very top of After Effects.
It magically adjusts the size of my AE window and i could reach the bottom edge.

Probably well known,
but I did not know of it until today.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 20, 2019 Mar 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Super helpful tip! Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 27, 2019 Mar 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't know if you'll ever read this but thank you so much. I had this problem and had no idea what to do. This helped a lot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 23, 2019 May 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All way described didn't work for me, I found the CMD+SHIFT and drag the side of the window, that will resize in a scale mode the window

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 25, 2019 Jun 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just happened to me using latest versions of AE and MacOS. Nothing else would work besides zapping the AE preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 02, 2019 Jul 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Life saver!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 15, 2019 Aug 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Man, you are a hero

@uedvincent

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 27, 2019 Nov 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After a lot of struggling, I made it work just by hold option + command and double clicking the bottom edge of the After Effects window.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 11, 2021 Mar 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I read this in the AE forum with the same problem and an Adobe Employee posted this:

@Stefan Gruenwedel wrote:

This happens to me on occasion as I move from large monitor to laptop while on the go. Just press Command+\ (macOS) and everything will snap into view on the smaller monitor. I assume Control+\ does the same thing in Windows. This works in Premiere Pro too.

Also, I found this. It might work with PR:

@Byron Cortez wrote:

1) Close After Effects.

2) Set your screen at resolution you want.

3) Shft  + Alt + Cmd immediately when you click in application icon to run it, clic OK.

With this action you clear the preferences and when AE opens it's gonna be ok in fullscreen.

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 22, 2022 Dec 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you cannot grab any edge, you can do this:

1. change your screen's resolution. This will reset the size of AE window.

2. If you have a second display, move the window to the other display, then return your resolution to its original size.

3. You can now adjust the AE window to any size you wish on either display.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines