Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After Effects unstable when using ProRes RAW

Explorer ,
Jul 06, 2022 Jul 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

There's no way to describe this any more specific. I'm using the latest version of AE (22.5.0) and whenever I add ProRes RAW footage (recorded on my Atomos Ninja V via the Sony A7S III) to my project, weird things start happening.

Things work fine at first, but then suddenly the comp viewer freezes and no matter where I drag the playhead or whether I activate/deactivate the ProRes RAW layer, it is burned into the comp viewer. At this point, all I'm left with is force quit AE and restart it.

This also happens when dragging a ProRes RAW file onto the "New Comp" button or sometimes when viewing ProRes RAW clips in the Footage window or when changing things in the "Interpret Footage" dialogue.

AE has been crashing like 10 times in the last 20 minutes, so I'm done testing this.

Is this a bug? And if so, how can I fix it?

And now the really big question: How come ProRes RAW has been implemented in Premiere Pro and AE for over a year, yet there is still no satisfying functionality?

ISO control? Missing!

White Balance control? Nope!

Add to that the crashes I've just been experiencing and your in for a world of frustration.

I mean, what are the folks at Adobe doing exactly? If I'm paying almost £600 a year for your video production software, can I expect this to be at least on par with Final Cut? You'd think so.

TOPICS
Crash , Error or problem , Freeze or hang , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 19, 2022 Jul 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey philippz11115437,

Sorry about the issue. Could you check if you have installed the latest Prores RAW decoder version? You can download it here: https://support.apple.com/kb/DL2033?locale=en_US 

Are you having this issue with all ProRes RAW footage or only some specific ones? Do you get any error codes or messages? Please share your system specifications (OS, OS version, CPU, GPU, RAM). We're here to help.

Thanks,

Ishan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 19, 2022 Jul 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ishan,

Thanks for the suggestion, but yes I'm using ProRes RAW version 1.3 already, so that's not the issue I'm afraid.

I am indeed having issues with all ProRes RAW footage (coming from my Sony A7S III). However, there are no error codes or the like.

My system specs are as follows:

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6800K CPU @ 3.40GHz 3.40 GHz
Installed RAM 48.0 GB
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch Pen support

3x NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

All the best, Philipp

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 26, 2022 Jul 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing the info. For clarification, this issue only happens when working on a ProRes RAW video? Could you go to File > Project Settings > Video Rendering and Effects and set it to Mercury Software only? Let us know how it goes.

Does the issue happen when you're using any effects in the Composition, or are you able to see the problem without adding any effects? Would it be possible for you to DM us a sample source file so we can reproduce this issue on our end? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 31, 2024 Jan 31, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this something that I can do? I seem to be haveing the same exact issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 20, 2022 Jul 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here, it sucks. And i normally love, how i can easily send some clips from premiere to after effects and enhance them with some fast animation. With Prores AfterFX does not use the Lumtri Settings i did in Premiere. This is my main rease i work in Adobe. Unusable in my new Raw-Workflow. Now i have to choose between Raw and fast Animations, that sucks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 20, 2022 Jul 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, yes the link between Premiere Pro and AE has gotten a bit tedious since all the different colour space options have been introduced. Especially when using AE in its best mode (32 Bit linear), you've got to do a lot of "FX sandwiching" to have your footage look the same as in your Premiere Pro timeline (essentially every Lumetri effect that transfers over from PPro has to be sandwiched between two Color Space Transforms to go from linear 32 bit to rec709, apply the Lumetri colour correction and then go back to linear 32 bit. Not really convenient, but at least there is a workaround.

Regarding ProRes RAW I'm not so lucky at the moment.

Could someone on Adobe's end look into the ProRes RAW functionality inside AE? That'd be highly appreciated 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 27, 2022 Jul 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did some more testing, but the Problem is hard to pin down. It happens somewhat less frequent, if stay in cine.slog3 colorspace. It mostly happens, if i have premiere and AE open at the same time (which i normally like to do). Didn't use effects, only Lumetri, Shapes, Solids and Masks. 

When the preview-panel freezes, i can still work blindly, save most of the time. Sometimes Premiere freezes at the same time too. Closing AE does not work, i have to kill it in the taskmanager. I will try a few hours more, but it is not as reliable as i am used to. Non-Raw work did not freeze on both systems.

Material:
ProresRaw with cine.slog3 from SonyFX9 / Atomos Ninja V+ SDI

System1: 
Win11
Xeon W-2245 8x3,9Ghz
128GB Ram
NVIDIA RTX A5000

System2:
Asus ProArt W6700H
i7-11800h
64GB Ram
Nivida RTX A5000

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 31, 2024 Jan 31, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same exact issue! 

Same symptoms down to the last detail. Did you ever figure out the issue?

Win11

AMD 7950X

96Gb Ram

Nvidia RTX 4080

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 15, 2024 Apr 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also have the same issue as you, where it just freezes.I thought it was an issues with my plugins till i did a full reinstall and it changed nothing.

Win10

128GB

RTX 3090

RTX 3090

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 15, 2024 Apr 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Have you tried creating Proxy? I usually create a proxy when working with ProRes, it makes the workflow much more responsive .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines