• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

AFTER EFFECTS WISH LIST (Prior to Sept 09)

Community Expert ,
Jan 10, 2008 Jan 10, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AFTER EFFECTS WISHLIST

What features would you like to see implemented in After Effects? New ideas for plugins? Interface changes? Post 'em here!

Let's keep bug identification to individual posts, as these will probably be addressed more readily. Let's use this thread for specific ideas about ways that AE can be improved and expanded.

These Forums are for users, not Adobe employees, so don't forget to also fill in an  Adobe feature request form.

To view the Wish List posts prior to 2008, look here.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 237 Replies 237
Contributor ,
Jul 08, 2009 Jul 08, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be nice if there was a link to this thread at the top of the forum, perhaps a mention of it after "Feature Request/Bug Submit".  Add a mention that you should still file feature request....

I wish Point Control (Expression Controls) was in 3 dimenstions when applied onto a 3d layer.  Currently it's only 2D, and in order to copy 3D position keyframes onto a Point Control, you must split it into X and Y, and then a seperate Slider Control for Z.  It's a pain and results in a messier project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a very good request.

But note that before there's an expression control effect for that, it should exist as a standard AE UI element. There are no effects in AE making use of a 3D control point now (which I imagine should appear with a 3D axis widget).

I don't see an action to turn a thread into a sticky. I'll try to find out how to do it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

id be nice if AAE could just read my mind and put what i want on the screen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jul 10, 2009 Jul 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IMPROVE OS X SPACES SUPPORT

This goes for all Adobe software. Spaces has been available for 2 years and yet no update to CS3 or CS4 has improved compatibility. It's an OS feature that's not going anywhere.

After Effects sometimes has the main comp window in one space floating alone with the rest of the AE UI in another space.

Or the UI in one space and a file dialog box in another. Or sometimes a modal dialog box gets hidden behind the AE UI window. It's really annoying.

I can't think of any other professional software that behaves so poorly with Spaces.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Aug 02, 2009 Aug 02, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be cool if there could be separate controls for "continually rasterize", "collapse transformations", and "collapse blend modes".  Right now, all three of these are combined into one switch.  Sometimes I just want one or two, but not all three.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Aug 24, 2009 Aug 24, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bumpity bump bump.  I thought this was a sticky?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 24, 2009 Aug 24, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These Forums don't have a "Sticky" function as such, but I've placed a new link in a "Sticky Threads" box at the top of the discussions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Aug 26, 2009 Aug 26, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Timeline folders.

Let us organise a bunch of layers (that are next to each other) in to folders that can be opened or closed to make the timeline less busy looking in complex projects. This way a hundred layers could be viewed as just a single folder layer if necessary.

3D snapping.

Let us snap 3D solids in to each others edges so that no gaps will remain between them. Well, why not actually make a snap function in which you can snap any layer or shape in to other objects edges.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 26, 2009 Aug 26, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> Let us snap 3D solids in to each others edges so that no gaps will remain between them.

Not that this isn't a good feature request. (It is.)

But make sure that you're using Alpha Add if you're seeing apparent gaps between the edges of your layers. These apparent gaps are usually a result of anti-aliasing, not of layer position inaccuracies. (See the note in the Alpha Add section toward the bottom of this page.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 28, 2009 Aug 28, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to see the auto save check to see if you are in the middle of something before it auto runs every x minutes. Make it so that it only runs after there has been no input from the user for 10 seconds or something after x minutes have gone by.

I have had After Effects crash numerous times because I was right in the middle of something when it went to save and then it never recovered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 29, 2009 Aug 29, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Better error trapping!

If you do something wrong, it should catch the error and tell you that you did something wrong (even if it doesn't tell you why).  Instead, the program crashes and you don't have a clue as to why.  I think a lot of the "instability" problems result from poor error trapping.

My biggest learning problem with CS4 has been knowing what NOT to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Aug 31, 2009 Aug 31, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be great if the confirmation window (dialog box) for overwriting an existing file created by an output module (when hitting "render") had a little checkbox that said "ok to all", or something of the like.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 31, 2009 Aug 31, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There is a newer version of this thread available here.

This thread is now closed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines