• ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

AFTER EFFECTS WISHLIST

Community Expert ,
Aug 31, 2009 Aug 31, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What features would you like to see implemented in After Effects? New ideas for plugins? Interface changes? Post 'em here!

Let's keep bug identification to individual posts, as these will probably be addressed more readily. Let's use this thread for specific ideas about ways that AE can be improved and expanded.

These Forums are for users, not Adobe employees, so don't forget to also fill in an Adobe feature request form.

To view the Wish List posts prior to September 2009, look here.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 456 Replies 456
Community Beginner ,
Oct 08, 2009 Oct 08, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to be able to open/fold out a PreComp within a Composition as if it was a folder tree.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would also like easy access buttons close to the timeline to make new Solids, Text, Shapes, Nulls, and Adjustment Layers, Lights and Cameras.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> I would also like easy access buttons close to the timeline to make new Solids, Text, Shapes, Nulls, and Adjustment Layers, Lights and Cameras.

Are you aware that theyre are keyboard shortcuts for all of these?

New solid layer

Ctrl+Y

Command+Y

New null layer

Ctrl+Alt+Shift+Y

Command+Option+Shift+Y

New adjustment layer

Ctrl+Alt+Y

Command+Option+Y

New text layer

Ctrl+Alt+Shift+T

Command+Option+Shift+T

New light

Ctrl+Alt+Shift+L

Command+Option+Shift+L

New camera

Ctrl+Alt+Shift+C

Command+Option+Shift+C

See "Keyboard shortcuts".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Todd_Kopriva wrote:

> I would also like easy access buttons close to the timeline to make new Solids, Text, Shapes, Nulls, and Adjustment Layers, Lights and Cameras.

Are you aware that theyre are keyboard shortcuts for all of these?

New solid layer

Ctrl+Y

Command+Y

New null layer

Ctrl+Alt+Shift+Y

Command+Option+Shift+Y

New adjustment layer

Ctrl+Alt+Y

Command+Option+Y

New text layer

Ctrl+Alt+Shift+T

Command+Option+Shift+T

New light

Ctrl+Alt+Shift+L

Command+Option+Shift+L

New camera

Ctrl+Alt+Shift+C

Command+Option+Shift+C

See "Keyboard shortcuts".

Yes, I'm aware of them, but they're not really one hand user friendly and not very easy to remember along with all the other shortcuts you use. When working in the timeline I always have one hand on the mouse and the other on the keyboard, therefore easy acces buttons would be great!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would love to see some development put into optimizing AE for color correction.   I truly think it's fundamentally good enough to compete with Apple Color and win, but some interface work has to be done to get it there.  Here are a few things that occurred to me:

Increase the size of the interface element for Curves, Levels, Hue Saturation, etc.   Each of these filters has a custom interface element in the effects controls which exists at a fixed size.  This can be very frustrating.  The curves box in particular is FAR too small, but the hue-saturation one is not a whole lot better. 

Give the color correction effects access to masks.  Some other effects do this, and it would simplify color-correction worlflow greatly to not have to make multiple copies of a layer, or a number of adjustment layers.  A simple drop-down menu at the bottom of each of these effects that said something like "limit effect to"  and then a menu to select a mask and an "invert mask" checkbox.  Easy, and VERY helpful.

Invent a key command for "match in- and out points to..."  In other words:  lets say I make an adjustment layer, but I'd like it to have the same in and out points as the layer below it.  I can frame over to the first frame and hit OPT-{  then frame over to the last frame and hit OPT-} or use shift drag.  Neither of these methods are fast or reliable.  May I suggest option-clicking, a paradigm similar to the option-drag "replace layer" feature from the project window to the timeline.  In other words, if you select the adjustment layer in the timeline and option-click any other layer, it will match its in and out points to that layer.

Beef up Hue/Saturation.  When you get a chance, check out Apple Color's "Secondaries" tab, specifically the "hue curve" "luma curve" and "sat curve" tabs within it.  These three are roughly equivalent to the Hue & Saturation filter within AE, but the combination of curves-style control and MUCH bigger interface elements makes for a more powerful and more efficient tool.  I wouldn't be at all unhappy if Adobe straight-up copied Apple's implementation of this for a better Hue/Saturation filter. 

Scopes:  Yes, I know Color Finesse has them.  However, CF is quite limiting in that its interface cuts you off from the rest of AE, which can make it unusable for many things (matching, for example).  Vectorscope, multichannel histogram, and waveform monitor would be great.  I'd love them all in a separate interface tab like, but separate from, the effects controls, all automatically looking at whatever is in the comp window at the moment.

"Take a Snapshot" & "Show Last Snapshot" on steroids:  This might be better suited to a dedicated "Color Correction" module within AE a la Brainstorm, but what I'd like is the ability to store and play back multiple snapshots, do side by side comparisons, adjust the split screen, move the comparisons around.  In this respect, don't shoot for Apple Color.  Their implementation is more flexible but more time consuming.  The trick is that in order to be useful, it has to be flexible and FAST.  I think the best reference in this respect is dedicated color correction systems.   The best implementation I've seen thus far is on the Baselight.

Apparently, AE not have a 3-way color-corrector built in?  CF does, but again, accessing it means essentially leaving much of AE behind.  I'd love to get those three little wheels in the Effects Control window.  CF's "simplified interface" would be a great place to do it, but at the moment, it's all text.

One media-specific one:  Put the RED controls somewhere other than in the "Interpret Footage" panel where they're removed from everything else.  Personally, I'd love 'em as an effect.  Effects>>Color Correction>>Red Raw Controls.  It would have a little drop down menu a-la Adobe Camera Raw which defaults to "As Shot" and sets the sliders accordingly. 

This last one is more complicated, and again this might be better suited to a dedicated CC module, but I'd love a way to lock the position of footage in the timeline without losing the ability to add or modify filters, masks, etc.  During color correction, it is easy to accidentally change the in- and out-points of footage while setting in- and out- points for multiple adjustment layers simultaneously.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 09, 2009 Oct 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>Scopes:  Yes, I know Color Finesse has them.  However, CF is quite

>limiting in that its interface cuts you off from the rest of AE, which

>can make it unusable for many things (matching, for example).

>Vectorscope, multichannel histogram, and waveform monitor would be

>great.  I'd love them all in a separate interface tab like, but separate

>from, the effects controls, all automatically looking at whatever is in

>the comp window at the moment.

Have you checked out our Test Gear product? It gives you just what you're describing, all within standard AE-style dockable windows. Demo version is available for download.

>Apparently, AE not have a 3-way color-corrector built in?  CF does, but

>again, accessing it means essentially leaving much of AE behind.  I'd

>love to get those three little wheels in the Effects Control window.

>CF's "simplified interface" would be a great place to do it, but at the

>moment, it's all text.

The Color Finesse Simplified UI does have the wheels: twirl open Parameters, twirl closed HSL, and then twirl open Hue Offset and you'll see them. Curves are also available in the Simplified UI, in addition to all those *&%$! sliders. Unfortunately AE CS4 twirls everything open by default, so it can be hard to see everything that's available.

Bob Currier

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 27, 2011 Jul 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be great to have the Photoshop Curves instead of the Synthetic Curves in After Effects. The Synthetic Curves are just not as extensive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One other color-correction related feature request:

I'd love to have an adjustable sample size for the color sampler in the info palette.  It would probably be sufficient to simply shove a few options in the contextual menu for the tab.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> I'd love to have an adjustable sample size for the color sampler in the info palette.

Good request.

In the meantime, you can press Ctrl (Windows) or Command (Mac OS) to sample a 5x5 area.

And, if you want to change these values, you can change the numbers in the text preferences file:

"Eye Dropper Sample Size No Modifier" = "1"
    "Eye Dropper Sample Size With Modifier" = "5"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually that does it just fine for me!   Thanks Todd.

Now...got a secret way to increase the size of the curves interface box that I don't know about?  šŸ™‚

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Oct 22, 2009 Oct 22, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How about faster scanning of the Initializing Animation Presets sequence? It currently takes my AE an additional 30 seconds to initialize every time I launch or when I import a project into another project.  Couldn't this cached somehow?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Oct 22, 2009 Oct 22, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be handy to be able to choose the lenght of a composition quickly from the timeline -without the need to open the composition settings dialog box.

I see two ways of doing this: one would be to have a number display similar to the CTI time display (that is located on the top left side of the timeline window) located in the right side of the timeline window. The other way could be simply giving us handles to the timeline that one could drag to adjust the composition lenght (similar to the way that adjusting layer/clip lengths work).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2009 Oct 30, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This may be considered a bug - but if it was abolished it would most definately be the single greates improvement Adobe could make to After Effects!

Please please please Adobe - get rid of this plague of an error.

After effects has been the keystone of my creative career for over a decade and I have encountered the "Unable to allocate space for a A x B image buffer" for the best part of that period.

But I have always managed to get round the issue by tweaking the memory and cache settings - right through to AE CS3

But now with CS4 - it has returned - and the preferences dialogue has changed - so I can't make the same adjustments - why why WHY?????

And now I can't render projects that worked fine in CS3

Please - can't Adobe just resolve this issue once and for all and get rid of it.

Here's hoping.

Casey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 30, 2009 Oct 30, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Casey, we recently announced that the next major version of After Effects will be a 64-bit application. That has a lot of ramifications for getting rid of the image buffer error that you're referring to, since  a64-bit application can address as much memory as you can install. (See "Future versions of After Effects will be 64-bit only".)

Regarding the changes to the Memory & Multiprocessing preferences for After Effects CS4: The changes were intended to make adjusting the preferences easier. Most people had a hard time understanding the old preferences.

If you're having trouble, please bring the question over to a thread in this forum other than the wish list thread. Be sure to tell us what OS you're using, whether you've updated to After Effects CS4 (9.0.2), how much RAM you have installed, and what frame sizes you're working with (and other factors that affect RAM usage).

First, check to make sure that Render Multiple Frames SImultaneously is off and RAM To Leave For Other Applications is set to a very low number. You want to give a single rendering process of After Effects all of the RAM that it can take so that it can render the frame that is giving you the error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 18, 2009 Nov 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I second that emotion. When I came to work this morning, all my renders from last night (deadline today) had failed due to this highly irritating "bug". Its just plain crazy that I cant trust the software to do what I tell it to do, dispite avalable workarounds. I don't want to babysit my render que all night. I hope Adobe is taking this seriously. I mean this issue has been around for a while and it's not like it has improved. Please, please, pretty please FIX NOW!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have always always wanted to have an output to video from the composition window.

Moobootoot: You mean the ability to have a live output to a video monitor of the Comp contents? If this is the case, this feature has been in AE since version 4.x.

If that's not what you mean, please try to explain better what is it (and make sure you  file a feature request, this thread is only for discussion).

its just plain crazy that I cant trust the software to do what I tell it to do, dispite avalable workarounds. I don't want to babysit my render que all night. I hope Adobe is taking this seriously. I mean this issue has been around for a while and it's not like it has improved.

Skivling: Adobe just announced that the next version of After Effects will be a native 64-bit application. This means AE will be able to use all the RAM you throw at it, and this should make your wish come true (these errors are typically memory-related).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Output to video from the comp window yes. Well that is good to hear. I just had a look to see where it might be. How do you switch it on?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Output to video from the comp window yes. Well that is good to hear. I just had a look to see where it might be. How do you switch it on?

From After Effects Help:

1. Choose Edit > Preferences > Video Preview (Windows) or After Effects > Preferences > Video Preview (Mac OS).
  2. Choose an external device from the Output Device menu. (If a device is available, itā€™s automatically listed in this menu.)
  3. Choose a mode from the Output Mode menu. The choices listed depend on the device you are using. The Frame Size value that appears under the Output Mode menu is dependent on the value that you select from the Output Mode menu, and is not dependent on any other After Effects settings.
  4. Set any of the following options:
    Previews
    Displays RAM previews or standard previews on the external monitor only.
    Mirror On Computer Monitor
    Displays RAM previews or standard previews simultaneously on the external monitor and on the computer screen. Using this option may slow down the previews.
    Interactions
    Displays interactive previewsā€”such as scrubbing in the Timeline panel or dragging in the Composition panelā€”on the computer screen and simultaneously on the external monitor.
    Renders
    Displays each frame on the computer screen and simultaneously on the external monitor as the frames render in the render queue.
  5. Select Scale And Letterbox Output To Fit Video Monitor if you are working with image sizes that donā€™t match your preview device frame size and you want to see the entire image scaled to fit.
    After choosing an output device in the Video Preview preferences, you can preview the current frame on the output device by pressing the forward slash (/) key on the numeric keypad. Press Ctrl+/ (Windows) or Command+/ (Mac OS) to toggle the preference to Desktop Only or to the output device you specified.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 27, 2009 Nov 27, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Add to render settings option restart AE and start render again same composition. In most case same frame (where was image buffer error) after restart of AE render without problem. Plus option if error repeat at same frame skip this frame and render next one. This option with Skip existing files give a lot to long night renders, and at morning eventualy i can render several bad frame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2009 Nov 02, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

open/fold out a PreComp within a Composition as if it was a folder tree. so i can see the changes right in the already open viewport rather than having to open 2 composites. timing things in a precomp to elements of the main comp would be sooo much easier then.

it should work just like the layers in photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 08, 2015 Apr 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

aditive_munich wrote:

open/fold out a PreComp within a Composition as if it was a folder tree. so i can see the changes right in the already open viewport rather than having to open 2 composites. timing things in a precomp to elements of the main comp would be sooo much easier then.

it should work just like the layers in photoshop.

there's a 3rd party plugin Layer Groups: http://aescripts.com/layer-groups/

It's not as user-friendly as Photoshop layers, and it has quite a few limitations, but if you work with a million of layers and precomping is not most convenient, it will save a lot of time and frustration. Once you will get used to a new folder folding and unfolding behavior, that is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 08, 2009 Nov 08, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Color, color, color.

I would love to see more... wait "more?"... right now there's none at all.  I would like to see some new features which would let us choose better colors like the swatch books and the color guide from Adobe Illustrator. There's no way in AE to pick good colors and color relationships. It would be FANTASTIC if we had swatch book schemes like Illustrator's Middle Ages, Earthtones and Ancient swatches to choose from. To be able to make our own custom swatch books. And it would be mind boggling to have an AE version of Illustrator's Color Guide letting us generate colors based on a primary color and a scheme like Complimentary, Triad, Shades, etc.  Don't bring up Synthetic Aperture's Test Gear 2, that doesn't really cut it. Don't know what else to say about it. I feel like repeating myself and shouting i!. Why on earth wouldn't AE have any kind of color tools?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Nov 17, 2009 Nov 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How about import support of RTF styled text?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 17, 2009 Nov 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have always always wanted to have an output to video from the composition window. The reason for this is to align different matts and also when I distorting images that I'm going to use as projections you need some kind of output to know what is happening. I do understand that it would only play still frames or rendered sequences in ram but this would be fine. Oh the time it would save me as at present I have to make a small distortion the render it out as a movie or still and then project it calculate how far off it is and repeat again and again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 06, 2012 Aug 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

moobootoot wrote:

I have always always wanted to have an output to video from the composition window.

I'm not sure what you are asking here, but if you want to see the output of the composition window on a projector or external monitor that has been supported for several versions providing you have a supported capture system (Black Magic for example) installed and running.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines