Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Alpha Channel changed to Black when Importing Video File

Community Beginner ,
Feb 24, 2020 Feb 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I've tried this several different times, and I'm not sure what the issue is. I have an animation I made in Animate CC, which I exported as a .MOV file with transparent background. (I know that the file is working properly because I am able to use it with a transparent background in another program - OBS.)

When I import the .MOV file to After Effects CC, it changes the Alpha channel to solid black.

I have found countless articles about how to EXPORT a video with a transparent background, but none about how to IMPORT one. Hopeing someone here can help me.

Please & Thank You,

M

TOPICS
Error or problem , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 24, 2020 Feb 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

there are no special settings to import video file with alpha channel so if your file includes alpha channel they must come automatically with transparent background, so how did you know it's come with black background did you place any elements underneath your video and you still get a black background? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 25, 2020 Feb 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I know what you're asking. I'm going to answer in three parts:
- I know the background is transparent in the .MOV file because I can use the file in a livestream software and the background is transparent
- when I import the file into AE and put it over a white solid, I cannot see the solid. Where the alpha channel should be, it instead displays black in the viewport
- when I export it is the same

I have been having this issue since about 2 updates ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 25, 2020 Feb 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your problem has nothing to do with the updates and everything to do with the render settings. What are they? Screenshots???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 07, 2020 Apr 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are the prefered render settings. I have also tried exporting it as a PNG sequence with alpha channel, to no avail.

render-settings1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 05, 2021 Feb 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @michaelp.hulyk 

Have you found a sollution yet? I'm having the same problem and cannot find an answer online. 

thanks 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2021 Feb 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

me tooooo f***ckkkkkkkk

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2022 Sep 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello 

i have same problem and i change the format from MOV to MP4 than i add the new videw  and i copy the mask

this is the only way i fund to solf this problem 

please adobe team fix this problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 13, 2023 Jun 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have the same problem, bul solved it
Try to save in Premiere
1. Quicktime
2. Videocodec: animation

3. Visualisation depth 8bit+alpa channel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 24, 2023 Aug 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As someone who face the same problem in 2023, and did not fix. Adobe team, did not have improvement for this issue. Weird! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2024 Jan 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I somehow fixed with re-loading in project window... Stupid but worked for me...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines