• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Animate color control

New Here ,
May 15, 2022 May 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I have a problem with color control animation - the null object that controls the fill of multiple shapes is working to change them all at once, but when I try to animate it, it's not changing them, please help

TOPICS
Error or problem , Expressions , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 16, 2022 May 16, 2022

Select the precomp layer, then Effect > Color Correction > Change to Color, set the From color and animate the To color, maybe?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We need to see your expressions to figure out what went wrong. A simple pickwhip from one color to an Expression Controls/Color Controller should do the trick. All you should need to do is set keyframes for the Color Controller.

RickGerard_0-1652673155208.png

I have included a movie and a project file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rick Gerard thank you for your reply, it's not working for me, probably because I'm trying to animate a color of a looped precomposition. This is how I looped a text and a shape below, how do I animate the color now in the main comp?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4R47Ihv_r4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 16, 2022 May 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If that's the case you should reference the pre-comp in your expression. You can try using:

comp("composition where your color control is").layer("color control layer").effect("Color Control Effect").color

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Nebojsa Savicic that would be the expression I got after linking it to the control:
comp("composition where your color control is").layer("color control layer").effect("Color Control")("Color")

to be exact. 
I tried changing the last part like you suggested but with no result. In other thread I got a reply that since it's looped the timing should be adjusted and the code should be like:

C = comp("composition where your color control is");
ctrl = C.layer("color control layer").effect("Color Control")("Color");
L = C.layer(thisComp.name);
ctrl.valueAtTime(time + L.startTime)

But that didn't work either 😕 I can't believe it's that hard to simply change a color of a looped element in AE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure i understand. Would you be able to share a video of your workflow? That way i can see what's happening and troubleshoot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is showing what the problem is, the rest is done just lke in the YT video

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You will need an expression that takes the loop into account. I don't have time to do that this morning. I think Dan Ebberts proposed a solution in another thread. Was that your thread?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I posted that solution here too:

C = comp("composition where your color control is");
ctrl = C.layer("color control layer").effect("Color Control")("Color");
L = C.layer(thisComp.name);
ctrl.valueAtTime(time + L.startTime)

But it did not work unfortunately 😕 I replaced comp("composition where your color control is").layer("color control layer").effect("Color Control")("Color") with that and tried to animate but still no animation

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My guess is that your animation happens outside the time range which is looped via the precomp time remapping. So the loop just shows the first part over and over, and never gets to the color change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Dan Ebberts yes, I think so but how can I make it work? Is is really impossible to change color of a looped animation in After effects?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess you could apply color change effects to the precomp layer in the main comp, which you could animate independently of the time remapping.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That would be perfect, but how to do that? For a pre-comp layer I can only see the regular Transform properties to animate?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select the precomp layer, then Effect > Color Correction > Change to Color, set the From color and animate the To color, maybe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much, I forgot to mention that I'm missing basic knowledge, that's all I tried to do, got it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines