• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

___Arrrggghh! -My transparency is no longer recognized in AE....

Enthusiast ,
Jan 24, 2020 Jan 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had several TIFFs with transparency imported (to make a video sequence) - AE is no longer recognizing the transparency (it seemed to 'switch off') while I was working... any ideas? 

The files are still in the same spot/same name/same characteristics...

TOPICS
Error or problem , Preview

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well - the image you've uploaded above is completely opaque : )  Technically speaking the image does have an alpha channel - but the alpha is 100% opaque. The gray and white checkerboard in this image is a screenshot of a gray and white checkerboard : )  I guess you, or someone else, did a screen shot and re-imported it...

You'll have to find the original, with a useful alpha, and import that - or you could mask this version out with the rectangle or pen tools.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL- No I took the screenshot - the file I'm, working with does, in fact have transparency - just the one I uploaded here is a plain flat screenshot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL! OK.  If you create a new solid and drag it immediately underneath that image layer do so see the soild behind the 'boxes'?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it has transparency - I don't want to bother sending the hi-res TIFF(s) I'm working with since the forum doesn't support it..

The issue is definitely with AE... I know Photoshop backwards and forwards, and have used transparency in images like this in AE several times before, sucessfully (including earlier today), however I am self taught with AE, and I'm worried that I clicked something by accident perhaps... I'd chalk it up to a crash/glitch, but I have rebooted twice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You've not by any chance double clicked on the layer and are looking at the Layer Window?  Look at the top left corner of the main editor window.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you can upload a full res screenshot of the timeline and bottom of the comp window 1 am sure we'll be able to help. Without that we can only guess.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Video Unavailable - This video is private"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry - this video should work - I'm having a rough day 🙂

https://youtu.be/9C9wGUD8Gm8

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for bearing with me Mike!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you're exporting the files from Photoshop without transparency. Check your Photoshop export settings carefully. If you had transparency you'd get a dialog asking about the type of alpha channel when you brought the sequence into Ae.

You might find exporting from Photoshop as a PNG sequence with transparency easier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Mike, but like I said, I was able to save  a bunch of TIFFs with transparency and import them into AE and it was fine, but now its not... I guess I'll compose in Photoshop... but no idea why I'd need to all of the sudden.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Import just one of those files. Drop it into a comp. Look for the icon at the bottom of the Comp window with the red, green and blue dots - it's a menu. Select the layer. Then select  'Alpha' from that menu. What do you see - a full screen of white?  If so, the file has no alpha.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ae WindowAe Window

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be honest, I don't see the word 'Alpha' in any menu... but anyway, I converted the TIFF files to PNG and they work fine. It's unknown to me why the TIFFs worked before... but anyway, thanks so much for your help Mike, I really appreciate it!

Hugh (aka Ryan)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

OK - glad you got it sorted : )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines